User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

Oddometer: 1,738
Colorado 50 passes in 50 hours RR

Let me just say, doing Hancock Pass in the dark, in the rain, with the Gods of Thunder cheering us on ain't exactly Fn pleasant. Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself, and should give this report a proper start, from the beginning.

IBA #10979 - Member COHVCO - Member CMTRA - Lifetime Member Blue Ribbon Coalition - Member NMOHVA - Member NCTR
My picture site
GSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

After a successful DustyButt (1000 miles of dirt in 24 hours) ride in 2003, I made the unfortunate acquaintance of fellow ADVer Outback UFO who planted a seed, and a sickness - to ride 50 Colorado passes in 50 hours, with the potential of making it an IBA ride. He had already tried it once and couldn't finish, but he was on a big GS and was mostly riding paved passes and all of the additional mileage that that requires. He has since completed a 24 in 24 (with a 1000 mile min.) and a 40 in 40 (no mileage min.), just last week.

Being the map geek that I am, I set out to find the most efficient, yet fun, route for doing such a ride, and have been slightly tweaking the route over the past several years, as bikes have come and gone in the garage.

When I bought my 2007 BMW 650 X-Challenge, I thought, this is the time to do this ride. I don't have to worry about how hard the passes are and can just go for the funnest route.

Enter Dan Huber...
IBA #10979 - Member COHVCO - Member CMTRA - Lifetime Member Blue Ribbon Coalition - Member NMOHVA - Member NCTR
My picture site
Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

Dan rode the DustyButt with Jen and I back in '03 and we've been riding mates ever since. We rode across Canada from Halifax to Vancouver to get an IBA TC Gold, and I've pretty much come to learn that he is about the only person I can ride the EXTREME IBA rides with. We're on the same page and rhythm with just about everything, except my tool pack is lighter (and wanting - an open-end 13mm, thank you very much).

So Dan also bought an X-Challenge and purchased a TouraTech camel tank, to match mine, and to go the distance. 6.6 gal. and 65 mpg. I'll let Dan decide if he wants to tell the story of mounting the tank on his bike...

So ride day was here. The plan was to leave from my house on Friday afternoon, July 24th, and make out way to the start of the ride, Cordova Pass, just south of the town of La Veta, CO. 30 seconds, literally, before we are to pull out of the driveway, I decide to lube my chain. Being a bit careless, for wanting to get on the road, I get my hand too close and sure enough, my finger gets sucked into the chain and rear sprocket. What a way to start the ride!

I poked a hole in one side of my index finger, and shredded the nail on the other side, a diagonal cut across that nearly went from side to side. After a few choice words, I washed it up, totally smothered it in antibiotic ointment, wrapped some sterile tape around it and then wrapped that in duct tape, before putting my glove on to keep it all together.

Post ride photo - why do nail tears hurt so much and look so minor?!?
My picture site
Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010

I'm thinking EPIC!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393

Can't wait for more...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
N

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

So, with a throbbing index finger, but the adrenaline rush of starting a big ride, Dan and I rode to Cordova Pass.

From the website, it had appeared that Cordova Pass had a nice campground, right up on the pass, and the plan was to meet other ADV riders at camp. When we got there, we learned that the campground only has 3 sites and they were all already taken, and signs around the area clearly marked that camping was only permitted in designated sites. It was about 8 PM and we knew that only one other ADV was planning to show up, so I left him a voicemail and said that we would be "dispersed" camping a mile down the road at a backpacking trailhead.

Before leaving, we practiced how we were gonna document this ride to IBA spec. Technically, the first two passes were not going to count for this ride, since we needed to start from a gas pump that had a computer generated timestamp on it. So, Cordova and Cucharas Passes were just for getting into the spirit of the ride.

For documentation, we needed a picture of the bike, with a 50/50 banner on it, in front of the Pass sign.
My picture site
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
MapRider
Trapped

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL
Enter Dan Huber...
And I blame it all on West Virginia!
MapRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL
After a successful DustyButt (1000 miles of dirt in 24 hours) ride in 2003, I made the unfortunate acquaintance of fellow ADVer Outback UFO who planted a seed, and a sickness - to ride 50 Colorado passes in 50 hours, with the potential of making it an IBA ride. He had already tried it once and couldn't finish, but he was on a big GS and was mostly riding paved passes and all of the additional mileage that that requires. He has since completed a 24 in 24 (with a 1000 mile min.) and a 40 in 40 (no mileage min.), just last week.

Enter Dan Huber...

IT was not that bad of a seed .... you did

now i have to re-try one more time for 50 in 50 even though my wife is like well "they" did it so do you have to go again??? you need to come and kidnap me now... too bad my wifes 650gs is for sell and i cant get it dirty anymore..

Great Job gettting the IDEA to reality...

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUtback UFO

IT was not that bad of a seed .... you did

now i have to re-try one more time for 50 in 50 even though my wife is like well "they" did it so do you have to go again??? you need to come and kidnap me now... too bad my wifes 650gs is for sell and i cant get it dirty anymore..

Great Job gettting the IDEA to reality...
Well, I won't torture you to wait to the end of the story, and simply let you know right now that we bailed on the IBA documentation part of the ride, halfway through the ride. 50 passes in 50 hours still needs to be done to IBA spec, by someone.

The next few pictures will start to reveal WHY...
My picture site
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

So the plan was, just document the hell out of this thing, including SPOT tracking, photos of bikes in front of Pass signs with 50/50 banners on them, photograph our GPS screens, save GPS tracks, etc., etc., etc., all of which the IBA would probably not accept individually, but might consider accepting if there is a critical mass of evidence.

First rule of IBA riding - practice what you preach (6 minute gas stops). Yet, I failed to practice with my camera settings in the dark ahead of time.

Here we are at 3:33 am, Saturday morning, on Cordova Pass (elevation 10941) 43 seconds into the ride. Notice that Latitude and Longitude are illegible.
My picture site
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

Followed shortly after by Cucharas Pass at 3:51 am, 18 minutes and 18 seconds into the ride, elevation 10035, and 4.83 miles from Cordova Pass. Again, illegible lat-long. This was only part of the problem with documentation...
My picture site
Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL
Well, I won't torture you to wait to the end of the story, and simply let you know right now that we bailed on the IBA documentation part of the ride, halfway through the ride. 50 passes in 50 hours still needs to be done to IBA spec, by someone.

The next few pictures will start to reveal WHY...

Still you did it which is what matters... they better bring you a plethera of gifts and booze at West Fest for being a couple of the MotorPass Gods... too bad i have to work and cant come riding that saturday on the 1150 with you all...(reality i am watching our 10 month old since my wife as a Certification class she has to take all day) i might retry in a couple weeks if i can get my oil filter off and drop the oil since all the water :wink... just because the beast like to go swimming should it ... all so need to start riding with others to get shots of me just taking the GS where you go

I am just impressed even on the G650x s how fast you made across the San Juan section... took me 35 minutes to get 16 miles up East side Engineer to were i stopped...

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia

OUtback UFO screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 09:58 AM
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
MapRider
Trapped

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL
I'll let Dan decide if he wants to tell the story of mounting the tank on his bike...
This is what the bike looked like the weekend before the ride......

Turns out you cannot use a uni-bit to drill the hole for the aux tank fuel lines...

Damn thing leaked gas all over the place for two weeks. Last ditch effort before buying a new main tank ($700 - thank you very much, BMW NA) was to use an entire stick of permatex Gas Tank Repair and sealed every possible spot for fuel to come out. However, that did not work either!

In the end, it turned out that one of the f'n mounting screws was not tight enough and fuel was leaking around that!

I think bashing the bike around on this 1000+ mile ride proves I finally got the leak fixed.....

EDIT: Oh, and nix that rubber baby bumper of the rear shock pictured there -- replaced it with a sweet new golden Ohlins......

MapRider screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 09:50 AM
MapRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
GSL OP
Team Big Wheel

So, before I get too far ahead on the ride pics, rewind a few minutes to camping out on Cordova Pass. We had left Randy (aka Trl Rdr on ADV) a voicemail saying where we were camped out. But both Randy and myself were trying to conserve battery life on our phones, so we had both left them turned off while we were not calling each other.

All night long, everytime I heard something that sounded like an engine coming up the Cordova Pass road, I rolled over and looked out toward the road to see if it was him and to make sure that he saw our bikes. 10 pm, 11 pm, 2 am, ugh... talk about a sleepless night. Had I not been so stupid and actually checked my voicemails, I would have learned that he was having jetting issues and decided to get a hotel in La Veta, the location for our first gas stop.

We met Randy in La Veta on Saturday morning at about 4:10 am, after completing the first two "test" passes, Cordova and Cucharas. Time to meet and greet, make some final tweaks to bikes and luggage, and get a gas receipt for the official start of the ride - 4:21 am, July 25, 2009.
My picture site