User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Motley OP
Lurker

Oddometer: 2,572
A Slice of Rural Ontario

This'll be my first attempt at a ride report, if it goes well I might attempt another.

It's late November here in rural southwestern Ontario, Canada. On a lazy Saturday morning I got to wondering what to do with myself. The temperature is about 5 degrees celsius and it's dry. Looking out the front of the house, the outdoors looks inviting.

I think I'll go for a ride.

I prefer riding on the street, I like the confidence and stability that sporting tires on pavement offer. However, my Triumph Thruxton has been put away for the coming winter season, so I'll take the Honda trail bike for a ride. In fact, I think I'll go for a ride, take some photos and write a ride report. I'm normally not this enthusiastic on a Saturday morning.

My ride for the day will be a '79 Honda XL500S. I bought this one from my eldest son when he graduated to a newer Kawasaki. It's a fun bike to play on, and fall from, and I've had a hoot on this thing when not riding the Triumph.

Where to go? I'll start off by heading across the road, there's an abandoned farm over there I'm sure would photograph well. It's over there, amongst the trees.

These trees.

I know, it doesn't seem like much of an "adventure" but everyone has to start somewhere.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Motley OP
Lurker

I'm probably about 500m from the house at this stage, it was a harrowing ride over here, I might write another ride report about it, at a later date.

The corn (maize) has already been harvested and the winter wheat has started to sprout.

This old place has seen better days and the old wood-framed house has just about collapsed in on itself. I often wonder what the people who lived here were like, did they raise a family on this farm?

I think about my own home and family, which coincidentally are only a stones-throw away.

Am I adventurous, or what?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,670
Thumb The big ride

You left out the part where you crossed the road. Was anyone coming? Did you look both ways?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Motley OP
Lurker

The old barn, which is falling-in on itself too is really quite large. I'm thinking it must have cost a pretty penny to erect.

I don't care to venture inside as it appears unstable and might come crashing down around me.

Okay, what the heck, I'll dare a few steps inside, after all, I'm ATTGAT today. It's really quite interesting and I thought you'd appreciate a look inside.

The stalls.

Up in the rafters are wood ratchets, used as a hoist of some sort.

It wont be long now until it's just a heap of rubble, it's kinda sad and a bit of a waste really

Alright, let's go check out somewhere else.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
L Rider
"Road Worthy"

Oddometer: 351
Thanks for sharing. Glad you are still out!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Motley OP
Lurker

I thought you might like to see some of the trails local to where I live. In reality, this old Honda isn't licensed nor insured, so I'll have to stick to riding the ditches, to places where I don't spend much time on public roads.

The "road" ends, well at least the maintained portion of it.

This is more like it. Now I get to play in the dirt, I'm really just a kid at heart but isn't this why we ride off-road bikes.

This is still considered a road.

Signs, signs, everywhere are signs...........

The signs are placed on snowmobile trails to keep the sledders safe. Before the snow flies however these trails are used by ATV's and trail bikes. Let's just follow one of those trails for a while.

I enjoy the quiet out here in the bush at this time of year. At the height of the summer though, the bugs have been known to carry off small ATVs.

It's late autumn here, the skies are gray and the foliage is off the trees but there's still some green to be seen. I'll bet it won't be long before it's under snow.

I've gotta keep my wits about me, I almost lost my head here. I didn't realise just how low this fallen tree was.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Motley OP
Lurker

I thought I'd stop here by the river, the Nith, named after another in Scotland.

It (the Nith) has some decent fishing and a lazy summer day can be spent canoeing the river. We've crossed this river on our bikes but it's a bit deep and cold for that kind of thing today.

The sound of the water makes me wish I hadn't had that third coffee this morning.

More greenery, it's kinda cheery, eh?

I'll tell you what though, when these tires get clogged with mud and leaves they may as well be racing slicks, makes for a bit of a workout trying to keep the bike upright.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Motley OP
Lurker

So here I am, minding my own business, when I hear the wail of a two-stroke machine. My eldest son, Adam, has ridden out to meet me. Good, I enjoy his company. Mind you, he looks at me as if I was a senile old man when I tell him I'm taking photos and intend to write a ride report. "For that ADV site?" he asks, with this exact look on his face..... . Kids!

I figure I can get a shot or two of me (your author) into this report, so I hand the camera to Adam and ask him to take my photo....................more of this .

So here you are, a shot or two of your author.

"Race ya" I said...................just prior to watching him scream off outta sight. There must be something wrong with my bike...............it needs fettling.

We tore off down some rural roads in search of adventure . I know, this bike isn't licensed nor insured, but this is rural Ontario, the peelers rarely bother us as long as we're behaving.

Somehow I managed to get in front.

There's an old cemetary just a couple of concessions over that I've never explored........I'll add it to my ride report.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Wandering Brazil
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thumb My old Stomping Grounds

Played and lived around that area many years ago.. Great to see a modest report from that area. Now in Brazil riding year round in the kamakaze madness and still loving it.

Wandering Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Motley OP
Lurker

This part of Ontario was first settled in the late 18th century, as far as I know. This cemetary has graves dating from the early 19th century. These are the resting places of true adventurers, the pioneeers of this great country.

There are some Irish, it seems.

And there are some German. The inscription is definitely German although hard to make out.

There are children. This is the headstone of a three year old, interred here around 1850, as I recall, very sad. Life must have been tough back then.

Well, in keeping with the historical era, we'll go ride a late 19th century railroad bed, that's just around the corner, kind of.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Motley OP
Lurker

The Buffalo - Goderich portion of the Grand Trunk railroad was established around 1850. Portions of the bedway are still intact and accessable (sp). I enjoy flogging the old Honda down these laneways.

There are a few kilometers close by to where I live. My wife particularly likes to "ride the railroad" as it's flat and straight, her type of off-road riding.

Invariably someone dumps a wreck. Seriously, who would go to the bother? The city wreckers yard is easier to access and pays cash for scrap steel.

I find it fascinating how they built these railroads using only manual labour.

This portion pretty much runs through a swamp. Although it may not have been a swamp back in 1850.

Another gratuitous shot, or two, of your author,...............and smart-alec offspring.

This portion of the railroad has become someone's residential driveway. Time to head back the way we came.

"Race y....".....dammit.

Which way now? This way?

.......or that?

We decided to head for home. "Race............."...............oh forget about it!

Ahhhh, Home sweet home.

It was a cold-ish day.............

......and my fingers were getting numb. So, what better way to finish an afternoon of adventure riding.

So, there you have it, my first ride report. Not as good as most, certainly not as glamourous, but possibly better than some. No matter..........I had fun, I enjoyed a couple of hours on the bike, and somebody might be entertained, if only for a short while. I hope I entertained you, as many of you have entertained me.

Motley screwed with this post 11-28-2009 at 05:20 PM
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
aztec06
mono loco

Oddometer: 4,037
Nice report & pics - thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
I enjoyed it, thanks
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,670
Beautiful Ontario, eh? thanks for exposing us to the world!!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Motley OP
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Beautiful Ontario, eh? thanks for exposing us to the world!!
Having been lucky enough to have travelled some, I can honestly say "I love Ontario", and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.