Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
gs-ell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
R65 Dakar inspired build

Now then

I've decided to build a 'daily' runner/ trail bike.
For some reason of all the bikes i've ridden i always regard the R65 as one of the best engines from the bunch.

For years i've dribbled over the Marlboro Dakar bikes, and with the r65 land speed bike officially off the road, i started this build as my version of the dakar.

I've used an r80 frame and swingarm, sticking to twinshock for this build.

Ive gone the long way round with the build, making everything myself including twinspark-ing and blueprinting the engine.

All the best

Elliott
gs-ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Prutser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
More more more please

Ride Report 2012
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 713
Please... More is coming I hope!

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
gammaemme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
suuuuubscribed.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thumb

Jeah!
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 9,116
If I ran airheads in the dirt, it would be a R65. Those smaller cylinders make all the difference! What I don't know is: How does the R65 hot rod cams work?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
Stagehand
Imperfectionist

Oddometer: 26,764
Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 987
I'm figuring this is your first build so how about some advice.

First off don't try to put all your ideas into one bike, you can always build more and actually riding it will give you useful information for future builds. Think of this as a battle not a campaign. Get in there, get dirty, get done, get out there, get dirty type of thing. Choose your battles, write your own story. There are guys that will want you to write a masterpiece right off the bat, but think of it as a collection of short stories each with it's own problems solutions and little victories that all told down the line will lead to a greater story of epic proportion.

There are two schools of thought when building. Build what everyone else does with all the cool aftermarket bells and whistles they use or build what you want to and experiment with ideas that make you happy. Happiness is overrated when it comes to airhead modification. Remember your doing something outside the box which means you've really just stuck yourself in a smaller box and those that are already in that box are full of opinions about the material, construction, proper box tool use, cardboard or wood boxes, tape, glue, the merits of both and even the size of said box. So watch out!!! If you do this outside the box, but inside the small boxer build box thing wrong you will get untold grief from the small box boxer experts and gurus.

Like many good things in life airhead modification effects dopamine a serotonin levels in the brain. These neurotransmitters play a number of important roles in human brain and body function. In low doses custom BMW modification can cause an elevated mood, increased alertness, concentration, and energy in fatigued individuals. At higher doses it can induce psychosis. Bike building is addictive and there is a high potential for abuse. Recreational customization may result in compulsive or addictive behavior so strong that the post build withdrawal syndrome can persist for months even years beyond the typical withdrawal period for drugs or alcohol. Unlike drugs bike building is not neurtoxic to humans, but be aware there is significant evidence (just look around) that it may cause brain damage from long-term abuse. This damage may include adverse changes in brain structure and function, such as reductions in gray matter volume in several key brain regions and adverse changes in markers of metabolic integrity. If you find yourself listless, irritable, argumentative, or ridiculously upset about such little things as the proper use of a tap, or swingarm extension you might want to step back or seek professional help.... just saying

Gear is important, so are your tools and working environment. It's no longer a garage, it's a shop. So you need to now fill it with various BMW parts you may never use and put up a lot of bike pictures of ridiculously expensive builds on the wall. Invest a digital camera, go pro, movie camera and associated tripod or boom system. Document everything, even the most mundane tasks. One of these days when your the next big thing in the bike building world, people will want to see these things. Choose an outfit and wear it constantly even when dirty for consistency in the shop. Flannel shirts are good, you may want to grow a beard, quirky glasses (I recommend KDs) are a must. Skinny jeans (if they fit you) are cool but not mandatory, welding jackets and chaps are awesome.

Above all remember to use a grinder as much as possible, buy several, because as everyone knows sparks are legit!!!

Jim Day screwed with this post 01-11-2015 at 04:31 AM
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 AM   #9
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by prutser View Post
more more more please

+1
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 AM   #10
gs-ell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Now then

I'll add more info over time.

This bike is my Mongolia bike, i've had a dream to visit the place for years so i'm building the bike i want to go there on.

for the next few years of the kids growing up i'll use the bike to race in the ATRC rally events and laning trips in Europe.

Jim, thanks for the advice, though this is my 3rd airhead build, though the second one is technically isn't built yet, i aim to race the TT, but after a crash last year on the s1000rr the wife ain't having it, but the classic TT she's ok with, i wasn't sure what to use as a bike for the manx and mentioned the r65 to some mates who put the engine down as useless, so i decided that was the perfect bike to prove the buggers wrong! Problem i will have is the modded chassis isn't eligible to run in the TT, i put r1 forks on the r65 with 1150rs wheels and swingarm.
You're not wrong though the sheds full of tools i only use every now and then most are to do with the r65's engine!

All the best
Old 01-11-2015, 04:54 AM   #11
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-ell View Post
Jim, thanks for the advice, though this is my 3rd airhead build...... All the best
All the best indeed. I love R65s Can't wait to see pics of the build
Old 01-11-2015, 04:57 AM   #12
gs-ell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is what i was modelling the bike on, i've done my best to have the bike stand as tall as it'll go, it's running 16.5" twinshocks providing 13" of clearance floor to sump, it's tall but i like a tall enduro though its 90cm to the subframe so i'm gonna be tested off the tarmac!

This is the first draft of the bike, running 18" Husquvarna Ohlins but changed after working out the angles of the prop and height of the bike without a seat!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #13
gs-ell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Subframe build and twinshocks fitting

Gussets drilled to match the 'Dakar' but not sure if i need to cut them down a bit

I want happy with the angle of the left sus unit, after extending the swingarm it had been widened by an inch at the axle so i decided to make new shock mounts.

The top shock mounts have been made to allow the units to be moved allowing for various travel options, but i really doubt i'd ever need to change the settings.

Rear rack needs cutting to fit, but i'm happy with the styling of it.

All the best
Old 01-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #14
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-ell View Post

This is the first draft of the bike, running 18" Husquvarna Ohlins but changed after working out the angles of the prop and height of the bike without a seat!
Very Nice!!! Did you build our whole swingarm? I'm thinking of possibly building a R65 bike with aluminum rear subframe, and a possibly a hand made Aluminum swing arm to keep the weight down. I was thinking that or maybe one made simple, built clean from a R65 swingarm. Yours almost looks like a modified R65 but the foreward portion seems to be missing the indentation for the tire.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #15
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 915
What forks are those, Marzocchi M1? I disliked them on my own G/S: way to flexible because of the long thin legs. Great for offroad, not so much for onroad (twisting when hitting the brake.)

EDIT: forgot to stateI like this build a lot!

Workshop credo: if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

jellycow screwed with this post 01-11-2015 at 08:47 AM
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote