Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #181
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mork View Post

Also for my bike ('78 R80) the wiring diagram is wrong on here. Pin 12 from the square rubber connector is definitely common ground and not a green/black switched power. The other wires seemed right though. Good thing I tested them.
Pin 12? Common ground is a brown wire, pin 12 is either green/black or green/blue (hard to tell!)....Does your charge indicator system work? (I made up that wiring diagram originally, so I want to make sure it is right... both of the charge lights that I made up used 12 and 4, which were green/bl and lightblue, respectively.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #182
mork
Hacking and welding

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister102 View Post
"A note about the Acewell 2853: Obviously now that they don't import the 2802/3, the 2853 is what I went with. I re-oriented the circuitry and do-dads in the pod itself so I could mount it off-center:"

curious- I'm not sure what you mean by this- I'm considering getting the 2853 as well. what are the differences and why did you need to get inside?

looks great!
Bezel holding everything together screws on. Earlier in this thread, a guy who said he worked for them mentioned prying it off with a screwdriver. (this is with a 2803) Don't try and pry it off with the 2853 - you will jack up the case.

Quote:
Pin 12? Common ground is a brown wire, pin 12 is either green/black or green/blue (hard to tell!)....Does your charge indicator system work? (I made up that wiring diagram originally, so I want to make sure it is right... both of the charge lights that I made up used 12 and 4, which were green/bl and lightblue, respectively.
Yes - I figured that you did it right, so I spent a TON of time trying to figure it out - I even cut apart my square rubber connector to verify. And, yes, the charge indicator worked fine with the old gauges - still have not wired up a separate LED for the new setup.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #183
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Any idea if the acewell will work with my dyna III electronic ignition?
about to take the plunge.

Also, any further info on the charge light situation? still best to use an external light or has a solution for the acewell light been discovered?

Thanks,

Aric
alister102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #184
bpeckm OP
Grin!

In my correspondence with Craig, at Acewell UK, he sent me his thoughts on how to use the "Hazard" symbol as a charging light on the 2000-series Acewells, and he then refers to the new units being developed now.

From Craig at Acewell:

Quote:
Hi Bob,

Your thread on the the forum is very interesting, one thing I would suggest for any future conversions you may do would be to use a cable drive adaptor instead of the ACE-S magnet as they are much easier to install and look neater. The ACE-S4 fits motoguzzi perfectly and the ACE-S11 fits BMW boxers with a gearbox speedo drive.

The plastic multipin plugs are the standard plugs used on most Japanese motorcycles and we have tried to keep to standard connectors. Many units are also available with waterproof connectors which are slightly larger and these are the standard fitment on all Japanese quads/atvs.

I think that the problem with the charging lamp is a misunderstanding. The Acewell does not have a charging lamp, the double triangle is a hazard warning symbol.

You can make the hazard symbol work as a charging lamp however, and this is probably your best method:

Get a very small current 12v relay and wire the coil to replace your current bulb.
Connect the light blue hazard symbol power supply wire to the switched side (normally open) of the relay and +12v to the input of the switched side of the relay.

The hazard LED should then work as you want.

For future units which are coming into production now - ACE-5xxx, ACE-6xxx, ACE-7xxx and ACE-8xxx they have a charging lamp (battery symbol) that is controlled by a voltmeter inside the computer and you can set the voltage that you want the lamp to come on and go off. You would then replace the original bulb with a 68 ohm (I think) resistor.

Best Regards
Craig
Acewell UK
Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #185
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Bob, that's helpful. Any idea about compatibility with the electronic ignition, I no longer have the bean can.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #186
bpeckm OP
Grin!

I have put one on a /6 with points, and on a bike with Hall sensor, hooked up per instructions, and they both work fine (it is the tach pickup that depends on the "ignition" sensor, and signal is picked up at the coil, either way)
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #187
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Then I guess the only thing left to do is order one up! I'll get the speedo cable as well- anyone else have more feedback on the s11 cable?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #188
edray
cascadian

Oddometer: 224
simple easy..
works fine..
edray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #189
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the 2853 from dime city with s11 cable, all electrics are working- 2 questions- anyone know how to get the fuel sensor to stop blinking and does the yellow tach wire go straight to the coil or to the black tach wire in the harness?

pics soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #190
bpeckm OP
Grin!

My fuel gauge blinks, too... not hooked up to anything.

What model do you have? I have a /6, so there is no tach wire, but the later bikes with electronic tachs have that wire...The black tach wire in the harness goes to/from the coil, so you can use it as is... try it and see if it works!

I am having issues with the tach signal not being at all steady (jumps to 2x revs and back again).... but I have plain points, not the electronic ignition. I ran the wire to the coil directly... might have to try the "wrap it around the sparkplug lead" method to see if it works better. On the other bike that I put an Acewell on, the tach worked perfectly, but it was electronic ignition...

Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #191
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Great, thanks-
not quite road worthy yet, but soon...

Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #192
CAW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR65 View Post

So far I really like the Motogadgets Tiny. I use a TinyTach for tuning the carbs, easy to install and remove.

Good job with the R65. I have my own R65 daily driver that is slowly evolving over time. My New Speedo should be here this week, but I am wondering what to do with the ignition. Where did you put yours?

Cheers,

Colby
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #193
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

love the motogadget stuff- wanted the classic but not going to spend that kind of money. happy with this so far.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #194
riverdale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I have the 3904 acewell, and was able to successfully hook to th original black tach wire in the harness to the yellow acewell wire. Not jumpy at all, and works like a charm. I too ordered the acewelll s-11 cable from dimecity. Seemed like fast friendly service, and got a tracking number this morning :)
riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #195
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, I did just that, wired the black the yellow and have a good tach reading.

Here's my problem though-

I took the bike for the first ride since the re-builid and melted some wires under the tank, right front turn signal.
engine died, cut the wires and restarted, head down the road, engine cut again but couldn't locate any more melting.
Looking through the harness where it meets the acewell wiring it looks like I used the black/grey wire that runs through the smaller fuse for power and the blue/green wire for the gen light. is this the problem? too much current? do i need to split the blue/green wire for power and gen light?

any help appreciated, don't want to fry anything else! The bike will start and idle without issue.