ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #196
CAW
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 87
I am finishing up an acwell install on my R65. I have been taking pictures and will post the lot when I am finished. I had two questions for those of you who have done this before.
1. Where on the bike did you connect the hot wire for the clock display?
2. What number did you use to program the acewell to run with the tranny sensor?

The wiring is a little different on the R65, so I will post a similar diagram to the one done by bpeckm that is corrected for the little airhead.

Cheers,

Colby
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #197
riverdale
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAW View Post
I am finishing up an acwell install on my R65. I have been taking pictures and will post the lot when I am finished. I had two questions for those of you who have done this before.
1. Where on the bike did you connect the hot wire for the clock display?
2. What number did you use to program the acewell to run with the tranny sensor?

The wiring is a little different on the R65, so I will post a similar diagram to the one done by bpeckm that is corrected for the little airhead.

Cheers,

Colby

For clock power, I tapped into the red wire on the starter relay. It is hot all of the time, and runs directly to battery. I removed the terminal from the plastic holder, put a new one on the two wires together, and reinstalled. I have not yet received my speedo sensor in the mail, so I cant help you on the number to program quite yet.
riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #198
CAW
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdale View Post
For clock power, I tapped into the red wire on the starter relay. It is hot all of the time, and runs directly to battery. I removed the terminal from the plastic holder, put a new one on the two wires together, and reinstalled. I have not yet received my speedo sensor in the mail, so I cant help you on the number to program quite yet.
Thanks. I will try that. When I fugre out the correc number for the acewell with the transmission sensor, I will let you know. I figure there must be a formula for it, I just haven`t tried to figure it out yet.

Cheers,

Colby
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #199
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alister102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Western Massachusetts
Oddometer: 259
For the clock I ran a wire straight from 30 (red) on the circuit board like Bpeckm did. what are you guys doing about the charge light?
alister102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #200
CAW
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister102 View Post
For the clock I ran a wire straight from 30 (red) on the circuit board like Bpeckm did. what are you guys doing about the charge light?
I have a separate light mounted for the charge light. I would like to integrate it into the hazard light on the gauge and may do so in the future. I am also thinking about doing something with the switched panel light that bis not being used.

Heated grips? Marker lights?
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #201
mopulga
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 377
I have been looking at this thread intensely and about to make the purchase. Everyone talks about having to import the S11 sensor for the airhead. Perhaps it was not available then, but it appears to be available now at Dime City. Is this the right one?

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...w-ace-s11.html

Thanks!
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #202
bpeckm OP
Grin!
 
bpeckm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Road Island
Oddometer: 5,640
Yes, that's theone that fits the transmission directly....looks like Dime City finally got the right one!!
__________________
XS650 becomes a VT BackRoadRunner
Loving the 80ST
I love projects that take twice as much effort as should be needed. Should be an Airhead motto. (disston)
__________________
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #203
herman maire
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: canada
Oddometer: 162
Does this speedo cable work with the ACEWELL 2803 ?????

I just bought my ACEWELL, if it does not work I am going to return it asap and get the later model.

Any reply appreciated.

Thanks
__________________
R100GS
R75/7
KTM 950 ( slowly looking)
herman maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #204
kraut.burner
Smells güt!
 
kraut.burner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trenchtown
Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Yes, that's theone that fits the transmission directly....looks like Dime City finally got the right one!!
I just got that in the mail last week, fits like a glove.... my acewell should be here by this afternoon
__________________
04' R1100S- Gone but not forgotten
74' R75/6 Café Classico
R75/6 Café project

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #205
Sic Semper Tyrannis
.
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 520
When the new versions of the acewelll come out (with the charging voltage feature) aI am buying one.

Question....

Is it possible to mount it in a flat panel? Like a hole cut in a piece of aluminum....
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #206
kraut.burner
Smells güt!
 
kraut.burner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trenchtown
Oddometer: 460
Bpeckm, when going through the settings menu on the acewell (time, rear tire circumference, etc...) what do you have yours set to?

Edit: More specifically:

Tire Circumference
Tachometer ratio
__________________
04' R1100S- Gone but not forgotten
74' R75/6 Café Classico
R75/6 Café project


kraut.burner screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 06:09 PM
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #207
swam76
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 1
I figured out a way to use the warning light on the Acewell tacho as the generator light...
Put a 5 Watt 47 Ohm resistor between the black/green (blue/green on my R100 GS) and blue wire (to replace the ordinary lightbulb) and connect the blue wire to the warning light wire of the Acewell.
That should do the trick, at least it works for me. :)
swam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #208
bill42
Old-School BMWs
 
bill42's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 357
Any new installs or info?

Hi all,
bajadesigns.com and flatracer.com in the UK are selling the newer, larger acewell gauge with the analog tach.
I am close to ordering from flatracer even with the UK shipping to the USA. Flatracer guys specialize in airhead cafe boxers and I am ordering a bunch of parts from them already anyway. They are very knowledgeable and trustworthy, which is a major plus at the expensive level that this larger gauge goes for.

Just wondering if anyone else has any new photos or info about any of the aftermarket gauges out there.
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #209
MIOB
Studly Adventurer
 
MIOB's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: A cold, wet, flat place
Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
Hi all,
bajadesigns.com and flatracer.com in the UK are selling the newer, larger acewell gauge with the analog tach.
I am close to ordering from flatracer even with the UK shipping to the USA. Flatracer guys specialize in airhead cafe boxers and I am ordering a bunch of parts from them already anyway. They are very knowledgeable and trustworthy, which is a major plus at the expensive level that this larger gauge goes for.

Just wondering if anyone else has any new photos or info about any of the aftermarket gauges out there.

I just received mine. It's the 4453-AB. I already have a 2853 on my BMW:



I am very happy with the 2853 (as you can read in this topic), so I really wanted one for my CB750:





I must be honest: I just loved the needle-RPM meter on the 44XX so much that I didn't even read what else it would do, I assumed it would be very similar to the 2853. It's not. It's got all the good stuff the 2853 has, but just more of it:

- Al the cool gadgets the 2853 has (rev counter (digital), speedo, maximum speed, ODO meter, 2 trip meters, average speed, riding time, total riding time, RPM warning indicator (shift light), clock, fuel meter and all the idiot lights.
- Rev counter (with a needle)
- Oil temperature meter
- Air temperature meter
- 50 laptimers
- Laptimer remote (for on the handlebars)
- "fuel guage off mode" (I missed that a little bit on the 2853, since none of my bikes have a fuel sensor)
- adjustable background lighting color
- a way more elaborate display that allows for much more information at once that the 2853 display
- a voltage meter (I am very, very happy with that. Anyone with a Honda will be ;))



Can't wait to get it installed on my bike!!




By the way: Dime City Cycles has them too! http://www.dimecitycycles.com/
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #210
bill42
Old-School BMWs
 
bill42's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 357
I too ordered the same gauge right after my last post.
I did see that Dime City has it too but the price from Flatracer comes out the same and they might be better with any support with mounting problems with my airhead since they specialize in this model BMW.
I share you enthusiasm for this really cool gauge. I won't be mounting mine until summer though.
I'll be looking out for any tips you discover.
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014