Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #211
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,066
I've had my Acewell on my sidecar rig for 2 years now.....still working just fine!

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #212
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833

Working fine!! Installation was easy, even with the 'creative' loom that my CB got as a present from a previous owner.
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #213
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 352
Looks great! Congrats.
Now you just need to show us a nighttime time exposure with all the glowing backlighting!

Working fine!! Installation was easy, even with the 'creative' loom that my CB got as a present from a previous owner.[/QUOTE]
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #214
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
Looks great! Congrats.
Now you just need to show us a nighttime time exposure with all the glowing backlighting!

Working fine!! Installation was easy, even with the 'creative' loom that my CB got as a present from a previous owner.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was the plan. Waiting for it to get dark.

Shame they dumped so much salt on the roads the last couple of weeks, else I'd go for a ride.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #215
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

It's raining a bit, so a few drips on the screen and reflections. Pls ignore those.

One of the nice features is that you can change the color of the background lighting:

Those are just random examples, you can chose many shades of green, blue, yellow or a combination (purple for example). I wonder why they took yellow instead of red, but it still looks very, very nice.

'action' shot:

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #216
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

One of the very, very cool other functions is the possibility to warn you when the oil temperature get's too high. You can manually select a temperature at which you can let the unit automatically warn you. That warning looks like this (I set it at only 60 degrees celcius for demonstration purposes):

Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #217
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Wow, that warning flash is super trick.
Almost makes me look forward to overheating my engine!

I have the gauge now, sitting in a box until spring. This gauge will make a nice centerpiece.
Now I know how brides feel when they design their wedding table centerpieces.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #218
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Nice comparrisson

The unit also comes with a shift light. The white round spot near the center on the videos is actually a bright, red LED. You can set an RPM at which the LED lights up to warn you that you have to change gears. I will advise you NOT to use that function because it is highly addictive and you're doing twice the legal limit before you know it

MIOB screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 10:52 AM
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #219
bill42
Old-School BMWs

I don't need no stinkin light to tell me when to SHIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
Nice comparrisson

The unit also comes with a shit light. The white round spot near the center on the videos is actually a bright, red LED. You can set an RPM at which the LED lights up to warn you that you have to change gears. I will advise you NOT to use that function because it is highly addictive and you're doing twice the legal limit before you know it
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #220
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

I have no clue what you are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
I don't need no stinkin light to tell me when to SHIfT!!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #221
Beater
SAFETY THIRD

Oddometer: 2,873
Well ... after ~9,527 miles my Acewell just died. I have no RPM or MPH. But all of the indicator lights work ... and yes ... I've done all the troubles shooting ... including rewiring.

*sigh*
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #222
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Well ... after ~9,527 miles my Acewell just died. I have no RPM or MPH. But all of the indicator lights work ... and yes ... I've done all the troubles shooting ... including rewiring.

*sigh*
sorry to hear that. Did you contact acewell? They have a contact section on their corporate site. Maybe they'll do something.
On the other side of the coin, if mine lasts almost 10,000 miles after I finally install it, that will mean it will break in about 10 years for me! Between 2 bikes I'll probably average 1,000 per each bike annually. You are pretty lucky you get to ride so much.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #223
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

I'd try contacting them like Bill said. contacted them a while ago about something else and they responded very quickly (and very positively).

My Acewell has been on my BMW for 7 years or so now and still going strong.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #224
band-aid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Question Question about Speedo settings

I recently installed an Acewell 2853 on my BMW R 60/6. I opted for the cable drive converter instead of the magnetic bike style counter for the speedometer. Installation was a cinch but the speedo reading is off. How do I calibrate the speedo for the bike given that it is not reading rotations of the wheel and instead counting revolutions of the cable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
band-aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #225
mohabie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just installed an Acewell into a fiberglass headlight bucket. The outer housing was pressed on, so it was somewhat of a challenge to create an internal bracket and external bezel to make it all work, but I did it!

I got lucky with the plastic bezel, while looking online I found an extruder company that did mass quantities of office furniture computer grommets, the kind you find on your desk that lets you feed those computer wires through the desk in a nice, neat manner. The bezel that trimmed off that grommet looked PERFECT online, so I moved some papers around, popped the one off my desk and wouldnt ya know it, it fit the Acewell PERFECTLY! After expanding the instrument hole on the bucket to fit the new bezel, and building an internal bracket to secure the Acewell from inside the bucket, I was in business. A little bondo to fill in the sides and it will be perfect.

Here it is!

mohabie screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 09:16 AM
mohabie is offline   Reply With Quote