User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #226
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,544
Very clever!

I have never gotten the second Acewell to work on Ole Red... so I am talking with Dime City Cycles, where I bought it, and hoping that I can get another one ... the one that DID work was awesome!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #227
Nicholasdamen
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have a suggestion for the charge light indicator issue
Here is what I did you can get more info here
Airheadr80.tumblr.com

My solution is to install a change over relay, basically the neg wire suplly that gies to the charge indicator will control a coil of a relay that operates a n/o contact that is supplied via a positive ignition switched wire. Ive done this and tested it and it all works fine. Feel free to contact me if you require a wiring diagram of this :)
Nicholasdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #228
Super rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by band-aid View Post
I recently installed an Acewell 2853 on my BMW R 60/6. I opted for the cable drive converter instead of the magnetic bike style counter for the speedometer. Installation was a cinch but the speedo reading is off. How do I calibrate the speedo for the bike given that it is not reading rotations of the wheel and instead counting revolutions of the cable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Did you ever get an answer to this? I have the same problem. Just installed mine with the converter cable and it's way off. It's over by like 15mph. I was wondering if there was a way to calibrate it as well.
Super rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #229
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super rider View Post
Did you ever get an answer to this? I have the same problem. Just installed mine with the converter cable and it's way off. It's over by like 15mph. I was wondering if there was a way to calibrate it as well.
This concerns me as well. I haven't installed mine yet but I was looking forward to the direct pick-up sensor accuracy.
You would think that there is a ratio adjustment that would work for either speed sensor. The airhead alone comes in 3 or 4 different speedo ratios. If nobody has figured this out by the time I mount mine I will call acewell customer service.
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #230
Nicholasdamen
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super rider View Post
The acewell site has the settings for this on their
Site under the sensor. I think it's 1380 and 1400
Depending on which model BMW you have
Here is the link
http://www.acewell.de/en/accessories...-ta7-bmw-boxer
Nicholasdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #231
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,332
Has anyone had any luck fitting an alternate aftermarket speedo other than the trailtech or acewell? I'm after something small or retro but not expensive- mutually exclusive probability high.
I like these but I would assume they are run off the front wheel
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=477492269

is there a general rule re ratios for speedos? There must be some crossover between makes.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #232
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Ratios vary all over the place... no easy conversion with mechanical speedos...at one point I was looking at the XS650 speedos but the ratios are all wrong.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #233
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Ratios vary all over the place... no easy conversion with mechanical speedos...at one point I was looking at the XS650 speedos but the ratios are all wrong.

cheers. Bloody designers - wish they'd sort their crap out
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #234
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 505
Here is the answer to your question. Before fitting the acewell, it is necessary to find how far the vehicle moves with a single turn of the speedo cable.
Mark the tyre and ground, and push forward 1 wheel revolution - measure the distance travelled in MM.
Put a piece of tape on the end of the original speedo cable to produce a flag, push the bike forward 1 wheel revolution again, but this time count the number of revolutions of the speedo cable.
Divide the distance travelled, by the number of rotations of the speedo cable, and enter this number into the acewell.
e.g. If the bike moves forward 1700mm and the speedo cable turned 3 times, then enter 567 into the C screen Regards Jake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by band-aid View Post
I recently installed an Acewell 2853 on my BMW R 60/6. I opted for the cable drive converter instead of the magnetic bike style counter for the speedometer. Installation was a cinch but the speedo reading is off. How do I calibrate the speedo for the bike given that it is not reading rotations of the wheel and instead counting revolutions of the cable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #235
bpeckm OP
Grin!

I "calibrated" by trial and error: find one of those "your speed is xx" that the cops put out to show you much you're speeding.... then while doing a steady rpm, note what the radar says vs. what the Acewell says... then go into the adjustment screen on the Acewell and try changing it by ten or twenty, whatever, and ride by again: repeat until you are satisfied that it is accurate. Works great!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #236
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholasdamen View Post
I have a suggestion for the charge light indicator issue
Here is what I did you can get more info here
Airheadr80.tumblr.com

My solution is to install a change over relay, basically the neg wire suplly that gies to the charge indicator will control a coil of a relay that operates a n/o contact that is supplied via a positive ignition switched wire. Ive done this and tested it and it all works fine. Feel free to contact me if you require a wiring diagram of this :)
I just installed one for a customer and there is no reason you should have to go to this much work. Solder the blue wire from the main harness to the proper wire on the Acewell and be done.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #237
mohabie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Finally! just got it done (feathering in the bucket to the computer desk bezel). Here is the finished product!

mohabie screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 09:18 AM
mohabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #238
Padmei
enamoured

That is fantastic work there Mohabie!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #239
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
That is fantastic work there Mohabie!
Yes, very nice.
I was thinking... as a possible American twist to the Cafe Racer, why not remove the gauge there and put a can of coke in that cup holder! Bam! New trend.
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #240
Boxer_Bolshie
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Subscribed!

Currently building up my '84 R65 and am now sorting through the bike wires and Acewell speedo wires... arg, a guy can go colour blind looking at all those wires! If I had taken a 12v electrical course in school I would have failed it for sure and if I had hair it would be gone by now from pulling it out!

A little further along since this pic was taken
Boxer_Bolshie is offline   Reply With Quote