Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #256
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Still need to calibrate the speedo setting - does anybody know if there's any needed conversion when using the gearbox sender, or is straight circumfrence sufficient?
Search this thread; speedo calibration is addressed in several posts.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #257
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Search this thread; speedo calibration is addressed in several posts.
Um, yeah, thanks. You'll note that no one ever came up with an actual answer to the question of calibration when using the boxer gearbox adapter.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #258
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Um, yeah, thanks. You'll note that no one ever came up with an actual answer to the question of calibration when using the boxer gearbox adapter.
The actual answer for YOUR bike is the exact "circumference" for YOUR bike. Here is one way to measure it:
1) Attach the speedo cable into the tranny, speedo end unattached. At the speedo end, place a "flag" on the cable using a wire/paper clip/bobby pin/etc. The "flag" will be used to mark one 360 degree rotation.
2) Get the bike ready to roll forward. Mark a "start" pencil line on floor directly beneath the rear axle (use a framing square, plumb bob, etc.)
3) Roll the bike forward for one full rotation (360 degrees) of the "flag" on the speedo cable, and stop.
4) Mark a "stop" line on the floor beneath the rear axle. Measure the distance between the start and stop lines in millimeters. This is your "circumference".
5) Enter the circumference into your Acewell. Go out and test ride with a GPS onboard. If your Acewell does not agree with the GPS, adjust the circumference entry accordingly. Re-test.
Best of luck to you.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 05:11 AM
Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #259
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR65 View Post
Turns out the ACE-11 speedo sensor I ordered from the UK is not compatible w/ my Motogadgets Tiny.

The Motogadgets Tiny requires a Reed sensor.

I figured this out just after ordering. It's a nice quality unit, I'm bummed I can't use it.

If anyone's interested in buying this unused sensor for $24 post paid in the US, send me an email.
I am using the Motogadget's with the gearbox speedo sensor intended for the acewell .
If you would drill a hole in the alloy bush thats around the sensor.
And sink in the motogadged reed sensor. You wil see your speedo will work on the magnet thats in the rotor.

Using it on 3 bikes and works perfect.

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 10:00 AM
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #260
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
I am using the Motogadget's with the gearbox speedo sensor intended for the acewell .
If you would drill a hole in the alloy bush thats around the sensor.
And sink in the motogadged reed sensor. You wil see your speedo will work on the magnet thats in the rotor.

Using it on 3 bikes and works perfect.
Got much experience with the motogadget speedo? I was considering one of those to replace my banged up vapor computer.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #261
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Got much experience with the motogadget speedo? I was considering one of those to replace my banged up vapor computer.
Those things are SUPER. But the prices are crazy... They are really high class instruments.
I'm using the "mini" on my 80st. It saves a lot of space on my dash and works exelent.
But if I would have seen the rally type, I would have bought that one for that bike.

On a R69 i'm using the motoscope classic. And the tiny on a R65 trail bike ( project)

The only thing is that the wires are really thin.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #262
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
But if I would have seen the rally type, I would have bought that one for that bike.
I remember seeing that a while back, but I just went to their site and couldn't find it. It looks like they don't carry it anymore.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #263
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I remember seeing that a while back, but I just went to their site and couldn't find it. It looks like they don't carry it anymore.
I tried the search option on their site.
http://motogadget.com/en/motoscope-rally-komplett.html
Otherwise I could not find it eather.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #264
Super rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Blowing fuse

Ever since I installed the acewell I keep blowing the top fuse on my bike. I have a 1975 75/6. Some of the wires from the diagram were different colors but with the wire tester we figured out the differences. However like I said for some reason ever since whenever I go on a ride the top fuse blows. It takes about 20 minutes for the first time to blow. Replace fuse, 10 minutes blows, replace fuse blows immediately thereafter. So basically when the bike is cold it's fine but when it gets hot it blows, and keeps blowing until it completely cools down again. This never happened until the install so it has to be connected. I have looked up and down the wiring for frayed or pinched wire and found nothing. 2 thoughts from those of you who have done this install; 1. I did not connect every wire to the acewell. Only the neutral light and the brights light work, the blinkers, oil, and overheat light are not connected. I simply cut them and electrical taped them off. Could this be causing the issue? Does every wire need to be connected? 2. When ever I turn the brights on and off from the white switch on the handlebar the speedo seems to short out. If I wiggle the switch the speedo turns on and off. If I turn the switch all the up the speedo turns off completely. Stupid question but Is this supposed to happen? Is the speedo supposed to be controlled but the lights switch? Somehow I don't think so. If I did wire that switch wrong is that enough to cause the blown fuse? Anybody else have a blown fuse as a result of their install? Anybody live near bradenton,fl who wants to drive over for a 6 pack and some help? Any help would be appreciated as its quite frustrating to not be able to go for more than a 10 minute ride. I know if I take it to the dealer they're going to chide me about putting on the speedo and then charge me for hours of labor to probably fix one mis connected wire. ;(
Super rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #265
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Reading your post without my bike or my wiring diagrams in front of me. My bike is a '75 R90S so we might be able to figure this out. The "top fuse" supplies power (positive voltage when the key is ON) to the Acewell, yes? There is another wire (red?) on the Acewell that needs positive connected - stays ON even when the key is off. You have to run an extra wire from your circuit board to this. Do you have bpeckm's wiring instructions? Do you have the Acewell schematics? What is the "overheat light"? I would connect ALL the lights - all the wires from the stock instrument cluster - to the Acewell. Double check your GROUND. You describe some curious issues with the speedo/bright light switch. I am in Nuevo Mexico but I would like to come over for a thirty pack.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 08-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #266
Super rider
Adventurer

Yes I have Beckmans diagram and the schematics. Like I said Beckmans wires were a little different for colors than mine. I thought there was a temperature light (over heat) but I think I'm mistaken. The only lights that work on the speedo are brights and neutral. I'm not familiar with this extra wire you speak of. When I turn off the bike the speedo clock stays on for a few minutes then goes off. Otherwise it turns off and on with the key. I did separately wire the gen light to a light by itself as instructed, but don't know of this extra wire to the circuit board issue. Please elaborate? And yes it is a quandary.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #267
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super rider View Post
Yes I have Beckmans diagram and the schematics. Like I said Beckmans wires were a little different for colors than mine. I thought there was a temperature light (over heat) but I think I'm mistaken. The only lights that work on the speedo are brights and neutral. I'm not familiar with this extra wire you speak of. When I turn off the bike the speedo clock stays on for a few minutes then goes off. Otherwise it turns off and on with the key. I did separately wire the gen light to a light by itself as instructed, but don't know of this extra wire to the circuit board issue. Please elaborate? And yes it is a quandary.
What model number is your Acewell? There is a wire on the Acewell (red?) that needs power to run the clock. This is not switched, but stays positive. You would run a positive wire from your circuit board and connect it to the Acewell's "red" wire. (again, just off the top off my head. scary.) Look at you owner's manual wiring schematic, too; better than some of the Clymer/Haynes diagrams. I think you may have an issue with your switched wire (BMW green/black?). I will be back at my house tomorrow night and may be of more help.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 08-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #268
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

If you disassemble your stock instrument housing and decipher the circuits, this will help you understand the function of each stock wire to the the instrument cluster, and how they will correspond to the Acewell.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #269
Super rider
Adventurer

Thanks for your help. It's model 2853. I'll check the wiring again for the red wire. Those wiring schematics are like reading alien diagrams to me. :)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #270
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
I tried the search option on their site.
http://motogadget.com/en/motoscope-rally-komplett.html
Otherwise I could not find it eather.
I went back and looked at the feature sets between the normal motoscope and the rally version. Although I like the the waterproof connections and heavier wiring on the rally model, it looks like the data isn't quite as useful for travelling purposes:

Rally:
Fuel gauge in % (LED bargraph)
Speed in km/h or mi/h
Adjustable trip meter A
Adjustable trip meter B
Adjustable total distance meter
Travel time
Max. speed
Operating hours meter

Regular:
Rev counter (LED bargraph)
Rev counter (numeric)
Threshold adjustment/gear shift flash
Speedometer
Trip meter
Total distance (adjustable)
Travel time display