Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #361
tete
clown shoes

Oddometer: 346
Ok real time updates. I got the turn signals working, brights working. Clock works with the key in or not. So maybe I don't need the clock wire?

So I'm left w blue wire from BMW which as indicated is for the charging system, generator light. That leaves me with two more wires. One is a white w black stripe and one is the green w blue stripe. My charging light looks like this

It works fine on any positive / negative.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #362
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
I have my acewell red connected to my grey w black stripe. So right now here is what I have left wire wise

I have the black and white, blue and green w blue stripe
On the ace well side I have white and the orange. I will connect these to the signals as commented earlier.
The black/white is for the turn signal lamp in the BMW instrument cluster; you won't use it for the Acewell.
The green/blue is for power (+) with the ignition key ON, I would connect it to the Acewell red; the BMW grey/black is for the stock instrument cluster lighting (speedo and tach lamps) - I would not connect the grey/black to the Acewell red.
You can wire up a separate charge lamp using the blue and the green/blue wires connected to the lamp, this also has a function for the charging system.
Sounds like you've got the turn signals figured out correctly.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #363
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok real time updates. I got the turn signals working, brights working. Clock works with the key in or not. So maybe I don't need the clock wire?

So I'm left w blue wire from BMW which as indicated is for the charging system, generator light. That leaves me with two more wires. One is a white w black stripe and one is the green w blue stripe. My charging light looks like this

Look at post #325 to get an idea of how to wire up your charge lamp; you will use the blue and the green/blue wires.
The black/white wire will not be used, it was for the BMW turn signal lamp.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 03:04 PM
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #364
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have my acewell red connected to my grey w black stripe.
On my bike, the grey/black is for power (+) to the speedo-tach lamps and is only "hot" (+) when the headlight switch is ON. How can this power your Acewell, unless your headlight switch is always ON? What happens when you turn OFF the headlight switch? Does the Acewell turn off, too?
Seems like the BMW green/blue should connect to the Acewell red to give power when the key is ON, independent of the headlight switch.
Also, seems like you should have a BMW red (always "hot") connected to the Acewell BROWN, for power at all times whether ignition key is on or off, to keep the Acewell clock working.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #365
tete
clown shoes

Ok this seems to make more sense. Yeah I recently installed a headlight switch to always on. I'm more interested in the generator light must j have a resistor?

And it seems to me that its more "in line" of the blue/green and acewell red
Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #366
tete
clown shoes

Acewell seems to be lit up using the blue/green as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #367
tete
clown shoes

simply put - with light connected, the light did not work with key in on position, also the acewell face owuld not light up as well.

with light NOT connected the acewell lit up etc.. with key in on position but no generator light hooked up - When set up like this all other lights on the meter seem to be ok, turn signals , brights, etc. indicating those are hooked up properly I imagine.

do I need a special light? I just got a simple 12v little light.

is it because I did not start the bike? is it because I have an always on headlight? mayeb I should try again with teh grey/black wire

did I mention I hate electrical
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #368
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
simply put - with light connected, the light did not work with key in on position, also the acewell face owuld not light up as well.

with light NOT connected the acewell lit up etc.. with key in on position but no generator light hooked up - When set up like this all other lights on the meter seem to be ok, turn signals , brights, etc. indicating those are hooked up properly I imagine.

do I need a special light? I just got a simple 12v little light.

is it because I did not start the bike? is it because I have an always on headlight? mayeb I should try again with teh grey/black wire
Are you talking about the "generator light" that you wired up?
Sounds like you may have connected the generator lamp in series instead of parallel. If you remove the lamp, you get full voltage to the Acewell; with the lamp in series you get a voltage drop (not enough to operate the Ace). Connecting the gen lamp in parallel will give no voltage drop.
You do not need a special lamp, a conventional incandescent lamp is fine, but NOT an LED lamp. Resistance was addressed is a post above; I suppose you could check your lamp's resistance.
The generator lamp should function just like the stock lamp - turn ignition key on, lamp lights, start motor and give an increase in rpm's, lamp goes out.
Even though you have a headlight always on switch, I would still wire up the Ace using bpeckm's instructions; sounds like connecting Ace red to the grey/black will work (headlight always on), but it would be my preference to connect Ace red to BMW green/blue.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #369
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok this seems to make more sense. Yeah I recently installed a headlight switch to always on. I'm more interested in the generator light must j have a resistor?

And it seems to me that its more "in line" of the blue/green and acewell red
You do not need an extra resistor, it is only an option. The lamp should provide adequate resistance. My wiring "diagram" (stop laughing) for the lamp connection shows both the lamp and resistor wired in parallel (post #325), but you only need one or the other, not both; even though one could have both the lamp and the resistor.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #370
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

tete, this is a nice wiring schematic - http://www.p-thomas.com/shared/BMW/7...0%20Wiring.pdf . Just substitute your green/blue in place of the green/black.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #371
mrfortynine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Questions about RPM and fuel level indicator.

Hello, I hooked up acwell on my 92 R100R today. Have two quick questions.

1. The RPM ratio setting should just be default setting 1, right?

2. Since the fuel level wire is not connect to anything, it keeps flashing low fuel level on the display. Somehow it really annoys me. Is there anyway to trick the fuel level indicator to display a higher fuel level so that it would stop flashing?

Thanks.

mrfortynine screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 10:28 AM
mrfortynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #372
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfortynine View Post
Hello, I hooked up acwell on my 92 R100R today. Have two quick questions.

1. The RPM ratio setting should just be default setting 1, right?

2. Since the fuel level wire is not connect to anything, it keeps flashing low fuel level on the display. Somehow it really annoys me. Is there anyway to trick the fuel level indicator to display a higher fuel level so that it would stop flashing?

Thanks.
1. Yes, rpm setting is "1". When you run the bike, check your tach, should read correctly. You can always change the setting if needed.
2. On the Acewell set-up, you should be able to turn the fuel level to OFF. Go through the set-up sequence until you get to the fuel indicator, and set it to OFF. I have my Acewell papers here with me so I'll review this and get back to you.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #373
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Fuel sensor resistance settings - you could select the resistance, or select OFF mode.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 05:20 AM
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #374
tete
clown shoes

Ok here is how it looks right now.

I tried it again with the blue/green and the blue connected. Got nothing. Then I tried it with the grey and black and it behaved as everyone else's.

When I was above xxxx rpm it shut off but when it was Idling low it came on. Like the stock one. I guess my only concern is will it work properly like this? Will I still charge the bike as intended?

If so could I not hook up the acewell to the blue/green and then hook up the light to the grey and black + blue? Does the fact that it is working properly mean the rest of the system is charging?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #375
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:

I used the very same light.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote