Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #406
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Anyone know how to set the odometer on the acewell 2853 or are you stuck starting from 0? Also, what have people done about the fuel gauge constantly flashing?
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #407
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
Anyone know how to set the odometer on the acewell 2853 or are you stuck starting from 0? Also, what have people done about the fuel gauge constantly flashing?
In the setup menu (press MODE and RESET buttons to go into the setting mode) go to ODO and enter your mileage; you can select km or miles. Go to the fuel resistance setting where it displays 100r and the fuel tank symbol; you can select the resistance (100, 250, 510, etc.) or select OFF and the fuel meter bar will disappear.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #408
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
In the setup menu (press MODE and RESET buttons to go into the setting mode) go to ODO and enter your mileage; you can select km or miles. Go to the fuel resistance setting where it displays 100r and the fuel tank symbol; you can select the resistance (100, 250, 510, etc.) or select OFF and the fuel meter bar will disappear.
I didn't seem to have these two settings...I have clock, shift warning, SPC setting, tire circumference, and km/mph. Looks exactly like this:

some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #409
KenyaBiker
KenyaRider

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyaBiker View Post
I would love to see how you did it as I am getting ready to do my R65. Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks
OK guys, Happy to oblige, I'll take some pics tonight and provide an update diagram.

.. also still need to get my head around uploading pics...[/QUOTE]

..Right so here goes...

First thing you need to remember is that I know just enough to be dangerous.

I've put some pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1112291...eat=directlink

First two pics are just to show before and after and so you can see the whole bike.

some other details:

I removed all the connectors supplied with the unit and ran as much of the wiring into the headlight unit as I could.

So I wired the indicator wires directly to the + on the front indicators: Orange and White
I ran the purple(Neutral) and Gray(Oil pressure) wires back to the part of the harness that used to run into the old clock assembly.

I picked up the ground (black), Clock power(Brown) and Switch Key(Red) from the back of the ignition in the headlight unit.

I don't have a fuel gauge, so the Blue was tied back.

all other wires, with the exception of the light blue (charge) were wired as per the instructions.

Now for the relay:

We poached a standard relay from a car...

It should have 4 contacts; 2 brass and 2 copper.

On the + side of the relay, simply run a wire from the + on the ignition (red) to the brass and the copper terminals. You will have found the blue wire from the harness that comes from the regulator; this needs to go to the - brass terminal. The light blue(charge) wire from the ACEWELL needs to go to the remaining - copper terminal.

You'll see that I have used a cable tie to hold the relay in place under the frame.

I hope this helps.
KenyaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #410
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
I didn't seem to have these two settings...I have clock, shift warning, SPC setting, tire circumference, and km/mph.
You will have to get someone who has the 2853 to help you. I tried to look up some information, but all I found was that the 2853 has been replaced by the 2856 and 2859. I have the 4454 so I am of no help.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #411
Blane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I am rebuilding an R100 with a /5 wiring harness into a cafť racer which I have installed an Acewell 2853 speedometer. I am having problems getting the neutral and oil pressure lights to come on. These two circuits on the bike are just common grounds with a switch. If Iíve read the Acewell schematics correctly, both the neutral (purple) and oil pressure (gray) lights are common (-) leads as well so it should be a direct connection.

Iíve tested both switches on the bike and they're good. I have continuity to the headlight bucket for both circuits on the bike as well. With power to the Acewell, Iíve taken the neutral lead (purple) and attached it to a good ground and it still didnít light up. Same with the oil pressure lead.

I was hoping someone from the collective might be able to give me some more advice as to what to look for.

My other idiot lights work; even the charging light. Iím stumped.
1970's Frankenbeemer Cafe (Love this Bike)
1970 R75/5 rebuild in progress
Blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #412
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane View Post
With power to the Acewell...
Blane, do you have two power (+) connections to the Ace? One that should be always ON (Ace brown), and one that is SWITCHED (Ace red)?
Check those connections. Do you have a stand alone ground (Ace black)? Check that! Ace purple is neutral and gray is oil; it does seem like if you were to ground those directly that the indicator lights would work.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:13 AM Reason: wire
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #413
Blane
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Blane, do you have two power (+) connections to the Ace? One that should be always ON, and one that is SWITCHED?
Check those connections. Do you have a stand alone ground (Ace black)? Check that! Ace purple is neutral and gray is oil; it does seem like if you were to ground those directly that the indicator lights would work.
Yes. The clock lead (brown) is hooked to the unswitch power and the power lead to the Acewell (red) is hooked to the swiched power. The black lead is good but I'll check it again. I've tried to connect both neutral and oil leads directly to a good ground but I still get nothing.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #414
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've tried to connect both neutral and oil leads directly to a good ground but I still get nothing.
Is there a way to internally inspect/test the individual LED indicators?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #415
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,550
This goes back to the first posting... however, with a Slash 5 wiring diagram it may be different, and I don't have a schematic in front of me.... the fact that the original Slash 6 wires are brown/green, and brown/black, tells me that they are a special grounding circuit (brown) rather than the just-plain-brown ground. The BMW color coding is sort of logical once you understand the colors and what they mean.....

Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #416
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
however, with a Slash 5 wiring diagram it may be different...
I don't know about the /5 wiring, either. So, Blane, double check all your connections, especially the power and ground. Do you have a good schematic for the /5 ?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #417
Blane
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
This goes back to the first posting... however, with a Slash 5 wiring diagram it may be different, and I don't have a schematic in front of me.... the fact that the original Slash 6 wires are brown/green, and brown/black, tells me that they are a special grounding circuit (brown) rather than the just-plain-brown ground. The BMW color coding is sort of logical once you understand the colors and what they mean.....

Quote:
I don't know about the /5 wiring, either. So, Blane, double check all your connections, especially the power and ground. Do you have a good schematic for the /5 ?
The wiring is not all that different with the execption of the neutral wiring. I have both wiring diagrams for a /5 and a /6 since I'm using a /6 headlight bucket and a /5 wiring harness. The neutral wiring on the /5 harness is blue/brown is the starter switch is brown/black. Everything else seems to follow the same color code.

Both schematics show that the oil and neutral switches are common (-) leads where the indicator lights are powered by a switched green/black wire. I will give it another check when I get home this evening. As far as I can tell, there isn't an easy way to break into the Acwell to check the LED indicators.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #418
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As far as I can tell, there isn't an easy way to break into the Acwell to check the LED indicators.
Try to check the continuity with a multimeter for each of the indicator circuits in the Acewell. Would this tell you if you had a burnt indicator bulb? Seems like you could connect multimeter (+) lead to Ace red, and meter (-) lead to purple (neutral) or gray (oil) and have continuity if the bulb and/or circuit is good.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #419
Blane
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Try to check the continuity with a multimeter for each of the indicator circuits in the Acewell. Would this tell you if you had a burnt indicator bulb? Seems like you could connect multimeter (+) lead to Ace red, and meter (-) lead to purple (neutral) or gray (oil) and have continuity if the bulb and/or circuit is good.
Well I did one better. It seems the bezel will screw off and you can push the guts out to get a better look. I had continuity for both the oil and neutral wires (purple & gray) all the way to the solder on the circuit board. That told me that at least those two grounds were good to the speedometer so no broken wires. Next I plugged the Acewell in, turned it on, and I got 0 voltage between the positive and negative terminals for either the oil or neutral LED's. I got no continuity between the Ace red power wire and the positive terminals of either LED. But I did get continuity from the black ground to the ground terminals of each wire. That leads me to believe either the LED's are bad or a defect in the circuit board since there's no power going to either bulb. More likely a defective board.

In any event I'm going to try and return it to Dime City Cycles were I got it and exchange it for another one.

Bummer. I'm so close yet so far away.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #420
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bummer. I'm so close yet so far away.
Yes, sounds you are thinking and looking at the circuits correctly. Based on you description, it sounds like a defect in the ACE.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S