Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #31
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,287
Good job! I just recently discovered the "Acewell" on the web and decided it was what I needed for my R90/6....R100S sidecar tug project. Both my stock instrument pods are rather poor...plus I'm using the R100S engine with the R90/6 wiring harness. (electronic VS mechanical tachometer) Lo and behold you have saved me a lot of "footwork" with your great post!
Could a person possibly wire in the "Red Emergency Flasher light" on the pod to use as the BMW charging light? Or will the BMW charging system wiring complexity interfere with that application? Thanks......

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #32
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew

I'm seriously interested. Mebbe this would be good in a /2.
I agree.
Can't seem to find the outside diameter of the instrument listed on Acewell's site.
Anyone know ?
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #33
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenben
I agree.
Can't seem to find the outside diameter of the instrument listed on Acewell's site.
Anyone know ?
Yes. I just measured: 2-3/4"..... they are pretty small!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker
snip

Could a person possibly wire in the "Red Emergency Flasher light" on the pod to use as the BMW charging light? Or will the BMW charging system wiring complexity interfere with that application? Thanks......
The problem is with the way BMW uses the charge light, not the way that Acewell does theirs.... so, the same "problem" would exist in trying to make any of the other lights work.... the Acewell uses the 12v "-" as the ground to all of the lights, which is standard wiring. BMW uses the blue output wire from the diode board as the "ground"....

BMW's system works fine, it just cannot be wired into a standard "+" and "-". It is probably a holdover from the old generator days, it was pretty standard on those old cars that actually had a generator (as opposed to today's alternators)

My solution, next time around, would be to order the unit that does not have the "gen" light, and simply use an external light (like I did on this bike, since I ended up with an un-used indicator within the pod.... )

Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #35
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Yes. I just measured: 2-3/4"..... they are pretty small!

Thank you
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #36
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
I bought a bashed-up DR350 and rather than take the time to source a used tach I installed an Acewell 3700 series on it (http://www.electrosport.com/street/s...eries-3700.php)

I found the wiring instructions to be a bit vague but not unmanageable- but there wasn't any real help when it came to mounting the pickup or magnet. The supplied magnets were both useless for this application and I ended up using a magnet from a fridge hold down that I epoxied into a depression I drilled into the rotor. I had to fab up my own bracket for the pick-up, and the length of the supplied cable (not easily modified) meant it had to go in front of the fork leg in order to accommodate the long travel suspension. The installation turned out to be a minor PITA but I am very happy with the instrument and it's function- enough so that I'll probably buy another one to replace the Vapor instrument on my XR650R

My Bracket solution:

The addition to the standard brake mount was made from a scrap of 1/8" steel plate. The center was cut out to make it lighter

Mounted up. The plate is curved to hug the fork leg and provide clearance for the rotor.

All done. The magnet depression was started with a standard bit, then flattened with a reground bit of the same size so that the magnet would seat firmly. A little metal epoxy was added to seal the deal.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #37
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Nicely done!

Getting the magnet and the pickup close to each other obviously varies widely from bike to bike....but it should be good for the ages (we hope!)

Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #38
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Got out for a nice ride today, and took some pics at the beach:

Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #39
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Got out for a nice ride today, and took some pics at the beach:

Go ahead and rub it in! Was a blazing 25 degrees here today.....

Bike looks great!

ABC# 1992
Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #40
bpeckm OP
Grin!

The shots I took last year of the red bike made the sand look like snow....

Old 01-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #41
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Received my Acewell unit today...will be wiring it up this weekend....my BMW (using a 1974 R90/6 chassis / wiring) was a mechanical tach unit with points...I'm a little unclear about how to hook up the tack...they refer to "wrapping a wire around the coil 2 -5 times...." I have two coils..they do not address that...Do I wrap both coils? The picture shows them "wrapping a coil (sparkplug) wire" rather than a "coil". Wrap both wires or one?....I don't know....never seen a tach hooked up that way......I'm a bit confused on that one.......

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 04:59 PM
Old 01-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #42
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Received my Acewell unit today...will be wiring it up this weekend....my BMW (using a 1974 R90/6 chassis / wiring) was a mechanical tach unit with points...I'm a little unclear about how to hook up the tack...they refer to "wrapping a wire around the coil 2 -5 times...." I have two coils..they do not address that...Do I wrap both coils? The picture shows them "wrapping a coil (sparkplug) wire" rather than a "coil". Wrap both wires or one?....I don't know....never seen a tach hooked up that way......I'm a bit confused on that one.......

The unit looks nice....only problem so far is that immediately after purchasing the unit on-line from Electrosports was that my debit card was being used around So. Cal. (where Electrosports is located) to the tune of $180.00 or so before I got it shut off. Someone ordered a lot of flowers ($120.00) and some nice Teddy Bears. ($66.66) with my Debit Card.........hmmmm....

You have allready aired this complaint in another post......
Any resolution to this yet?/
HAve they given you any answers yet?
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #43
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
You have allready aired this complaint in another post......
Any resolution to this yet?/
HAve they given you any answers yet?
Robert

No.................read the other thread........the situation kind of died in its' tracks....I guess it's "no ones" fault................

ABC# 1992
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #44
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
No.................read the other thread........the situation kind of died in its' tracks....I guess it's "no ones" fault................

Someone is at fault, somewhere.
The only thing that I want to add is that after the lengthy explanation on the other thread, at 4:44 p.m. you came back here to this thread and started it all over again.... without the lengthy explanation and with no reference to the other thread..at all.
Lets play fair.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #45
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Someone is at fault, somewhere.
The only thing that I want to add is that after the lengthy explanation on the other thread, at 4:44 p.m. you came back here to this thread and started it all over again.... without the lengthy explanation and with no reference to the other thread..at all.
Lets play fair.
Robert

Yes, you are 100% correct........"Deleted"..........may the internet gods forgive me and my errant ways......Bottom line is that the Acewell Unit looks like a good buy......and I am sure I will like it. Plus this thread is a big help for the installation....The people at Acewell have been great to deal with so far...I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.....I received the unit today and it looks good!

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 09:24 PM