Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #496
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
I don't remember the numbers, since it has been years now, but I did the fine-calibration by riding by one of those police radar "Your speed is ..." and then stopping, going into the Acewell, and changing it. Took three tries, but it ended up nailed Dead-ON.....

Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #497
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
I don't remember the numbers, since it has been years now, but I did the fine-calibration by riding by one of those police radar "Your speed is ..." and then stopping, going into the Acewell, and changing it. Took three tries, but it ended up nailed Dead-ON.....

Yup. I tried to figure out the math and gave up. I don't think I had to divide by two for my transmission pick-up. The default from the Acewell out of the box was around 10 mph off on my R100 and I found the easiest way to calibrate it was to mount my iPhone/GPS to the bike and simply compare accurate GPS speed reading to the Acewell. Took about 5 minutes and 4 estimates to adjust. For me I think the number was around 1370 ish.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #498
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
My point is: no need to do math! Just change the number that is in there up, re-run the speed radar, and see if you need to go further up, or down, or whatever... it's call "trial and error,,,"

...all you need is patience and persistence....

Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #499
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I figured mine out this way...don't know if its right but it ended up close enough.

kph ration on snowbums site (linked many places here) for my final drive is 0.691. One rotation of my tire measured at 2001mm. I set C = 2001 x 0.691 so 1382 and some change. Seems to be within 5mph or so.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #500
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
Yup. I tried to figure out the math and gave up. I don't think I had to divide by two for my transmission pick-up. The default from the Acewell out of the box was around 10 mph off on my R100 and I found the easiest way to calibrate it was to mount my iPhone/GPS to the bike and simply compare accurate GPS speed reading to the Acewell. Took about 5 minutes and 4 estimates to adjust. For me I think the number was around 1370 ish.
Remember, this is "Old School". Ain't got no Gad Damn GPS.
Drove next to the "cages" for awhile and got an idea of what 65 to 75 mph was.
Kept re-adjusting to what felt right. Happened to pass one of those radar signs as I passed through a town. It said I was doing 33, looked down at the speedo...33mph....howlalooyah!
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #501
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post

135MPH on the money!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #502
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Does yours (or any one) tenths jump around a lot at 70, so that 70.0 is more like 7?.?

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #503
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
Does yours (or any one) tenths jump around a lot at 70, so that 70.0 is more like 7?.?

I've seen people say it jumps around. I haven't seen it myself.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #504
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
hi all, question - have any of you fine DIY Acewell installers run into bouncing tach AND bouncing speedo with the transmisstion speedo connector, and hardwired into the bike's stock tach wires?

I think I've got about 2000 miles on the unit, and I've always noticed some tach bounce, but recently i've noticed the speedo bouncing a bit more... just curious if anyone else has run into it and if they know how to fix it...?

aside from the bouncing, my unit is working flawlessly:) I'm thinking it is in how it recieves the info from the bike?

Thanks!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #505
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
hi all, question - have any of you fine DIY Acewell installers run into bouncing tach AND bouncing speedo with the transmisstion speedo connector, and hardwired into the bike's stock tach wires?

I think I've got about 2000 miles on the unit, and I've always noticed some tach bounce, but recently i've noticed the speedo bouncing a bit more... just curious if anyone else has run into it and if they know how to fix it...?

aside from the bouncing, my unit is working flawlessly:) I'm thinking it is in how it recieves the info from the bike?

Thanks!
Spencer
I have 2000 miles on mine too. electric tach feed from stock harness and speedo feed from tranny. No bouncing of the analog sweeping tach needle. The speed is a digital number and the last digit flashes all over the place which is totally useless. They should have slowed down the speedo reading so the number doesn't change 5 times a second.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #506
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
I have 2000 miles on mine too. electric tach feed from stock harness and speedo feed from tranny.
yes, that is how I'm set up too.

Quote:
No bouncing of the analog sweeping tach needle.
I have the smaller unit where the tach is a digital display and it will bounce 4000 - 8000 - 4000 etc..

Quote:
The speed is a digital number and the last digit flashes all over the place which is totally useless. They should have slowed down the speedo reading so the number doesn't change 5 times a second.
yes! I totally agree that the sampling is too frequent! I get the same thing! But recently i noticed a 50mph - 26mph - 50mph bounce...
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #507
bill42
Old-School BMWs

One thing that does concern me with mine is that every once in a while, like once an hour, I catch my acewell analog tach needle sweeping off to zero and then back on. It may be a loose power lead, but it is never long enough to reset the timer or anything else. I wonder if this problem is inside my unit.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #508
SWICKED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
^^^^ its funny that you post that. im having the same issue with the same acewell (analog tech) but its happening WAY more often.

i just installed mine yesterday and this issue is bugging the F*** out of me. the power source for the clock is from a open 30 terminal in the headlight and the the power source for the every thing else is from an open 15 terminal in the head light. the ground is tied in to the stock harness and soon to be a direct ground to the battery.
SWICKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #509
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,277
It's a bit of stating the obvious: but you guys do realize that resistor plug caps are needed to prevent EMI interference with the Acewell electronics.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #510
SWICKED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
im running stock plug wires with 5 k ohms ratting. (tested to make sure) im also running two blue coils.
SWICKED is offline   Reply With Quote