Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #511
SWICKED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
im still having issues with this acewell. i have the ace-4xxx-xx. i have all the bugs figured out but i am not receiving signal for the tach. im not getting anything for the digital or the analog tach. when i first installed the acewell i had both digital and analog tach working.
SWICKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #512
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,429
so for you long time acewell owners ... how is it holding up?
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #513
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
I love mine with the analog sweeping tach. I did post a while back that it sometimes turns on and off quickly which makes the tach do its start-up sweep boot-up thing, but it never became a problem. I still recommend this gauge and the trip counter and riding time functions are quite useful, and the volt meter is great for checking my charging system as its just a few button pushes away at all times.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #514
Brun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
Funny you should ask - my 2853 died about a month ago, roughly 1000kms from home. The body cracked and the electronics stopped working. Perhaps the bolts were a bit too tight, but it was good for about 24k. As a temporary fix I bought a $40 cycle 'computer' at the nearest town so I could avoid speeding fines. I found that I liked it so much that it is now a permanent fixture. When I got home I cut the back off the Acewell, painted the face black, glued it back in the bucket and fixed the cycle computer to it with cable ties.

I still need to organise some illumination for night riding - I'm thinking something that looks like a little desk lamp will suit the character of the bike. The cycle computer is easier to read, has two trip meters and a bunch of other functions - average speed, max speed, time taken, etc. I think it will even tell me how many kilojoules of energy I would have burnt if I had pedalled at a given speed for a given time. Speed indication is a lot smoother than the Acewell.

As you can see, I had already fitted proper idiot lights - the Acewell LEDs were too hard to see in sunlight.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #515
98kellrs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Sorry for the ressurection, I've read the whole thread back to front but I'm having some issues with my Acewell 4553 install on my '74 R60/6.

My current status is as follows:

Ignition on - Engine off:

- All idiot lights working correctly (yey!)
- Analogue dial face illuminates
- No display on digital part of the face
- Left and Right indicator lights working independently (yey!)
- Unable to test speedo without the dial working, but I'm using the gearbox cable

Engine on:

- Same as above for idiot lights
- No tach sweep
- Charge light (independently wired pilot light) comes on and extinguishes as per normal as revs are increased
- No signal on analogue tach.
- Digital display not on at all.

I currently have the following wires not connected to anything:

- Acewell Fuel
- Acewell Engine/Water temp
- BMW Brake (I have cable drums so this is not needed)
- BMW Grey and Black (unsure what this one is)
- BMW White and Black (again, unsure what this is)

Some background into the install..currently everything is just twisted together (firmly), My acewell common ground is mated up to the original wiring harness ground wire. The tachometer is attached to the positive terminal on the right hand coil via the spade connection. The clock power (unswitched) is wired directly from the positive battery terminal via a temporary cable (for testing purposes). One thing I have noticed is that the Acewell Brown wire does not seem to have any continuity between it and the battery's negative terminal. I've tested the common ground and that is continuous though so I'm thinking perhaps something wrong with the unit itself?

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going a little crazy just staring at it and getting nowhere. I do have a multimeter, but the poking and probing I've done hasn't helped yet.. I've gone through the acewell wiring diagram and I'm sure I have all the grounds necessary but clearly Im still missing something..

98kellrs screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 01:08 AM
98kellrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #516
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,705
Nice to see the ole thread being used!

The fact that some lights work and others do not tells me that your ground IS ok.

I don't know what the Acewell-brown wire is... I would not assume that their brown is a ground wire: look at your wiring diagram: what does the A-brown wire do?

For the tach, try putting the lead at the other "end" of the coils. Ignore the wire that jumps from one to the other. One wire "end" going to coils is ignition power, the other "end" goes to the points, and that is the one you want. Some pickups can be wired by wrapping around the HT lead (sparkplug wire), you might try that?

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #517
98kellrs
Adventurer

Thanks bpeckm, the acewell brown is unswitched clock power which is why I'm puzzled that I'm getting no continuity between it and the ground wires. I'll keep plugging away (no pun intended) until Monday and give the distributor a call to see if they have any ideas.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #518
bpeckm OP
Grin!

You wouldn't necessarily have continuity... if it is unswitched clock power, then that should be fed with an unswitched 12v source (usually a red wire on the bmw's iirc)

Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #519
98kellrs
Adventurer

Currently I have it hooked up directly to the positive battery terminal which I figured was as us switched as you can get. However I can't find the ground side of the clock power besides the usual acewell common ground which I have already tested. I'm guessing that with switched power connected, and the grounds connected the digital display should work anyway? The unswitched power is only for the clock so that wouldn't be causing the issue?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #520
bpeckm OP
Grin!

If I am understanding you correctly: you do have a good ground, the common ground (as you call it). If some of the stuff works, then it is not the ground. It sounds as though maybe the switched power may not be getting juice? ...that is what would light the gauge face and initiate the electronics. Try taking the "switched power" from the battery directly. If that doesn't work, then maybe it is indeed an internal problem.

The analog tach would take its signal from the coils, but the power to run it would have to come from the same "switched power".... all of that should fire up when the bike is "on".

Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #521
98kellrs
Adventurer

Yep unswitched power is fed directly from the battery at the moment. I've tested the cables in the loom and they all seem fine but the power isn't getting to the unit itself. Looks like it's heading back to acewell!

I think I hooked up the switched power to the battery yesterday but I'll give it a go today as well and see if that helps, thanks for your pointers
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #522
98kellrs
Adventurer

Yep just checked; when I connect the switched power directly to the battery I still only get the analogue dial illuminating and the idiot light working. Nothing else.

I keep hearing about a red BMW unswitched power wire, however I do not have a red anywhere in my BMW loom..?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #523
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Red in the /6 is the primary feed from the battery...on mine there was a red wire going to my ignition switch inside the headlight.

The green and green/black wires are the switched power. Unswitched power is just that, it is always on, and it doesn't really matter where you pick it up...I just used the red at the switch!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #524
98kellrs
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Red in the /6 is the primary feed from the battery...on mine there was a red wire going to my ignition switch inside the headlight.

The green and green/black wires are the switched power. Unswitched power is just that, it is always on, and it doesn't really matter where you pick it up...I just used the red at the switch!

Hmm I have the acewell red (switched power) plugged into the same terminal as my green/black BMW switched power. I might try ignoring the charge light for now and just testing the A-red and BMW-Green/black together.

Also, I don't recall a BMW green only? Unfortunately I am away with work until Friday though so I can't have a look. Maybe it's not the unit after all, perhaps I've just wired up the charge light badly..hmm.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #525
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Question

Thinking about getting an Acewell myself and about the charge lamp light on the gauge.

What if a relay was used to turn the gauge light on/off. When the key is turned on, power is fed from the starter relay (not ignition switch as in the diagram below) to turn the light on. The switch would be connected to the alternator current, so that when the alternator is properly charging it would turn the light off (activate the coil). If the alternator was not charging correctly than the power to the switch would be turned off and the light would turn on

IMG_6767

The coil would act as a resistor and by attaching pin 87 to 86 would be like the wiring to the stock gen light, no?

1977 BMW R100/7T USA - Gilda
Whiteguyphil is offline   Reply With Quote