Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #76
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Sounds like it is getting a jolt of juice, which is then shut off and so the display fades away. Intermittent contact? What did you wire the power source to?
If I remember right I went to an unused "full time hot" spade fitting in the headlight board. I followed the diagram in this thread as a guide and then adjusted as needed to fit my 1974 harness. I had a junk BMW wire harness so any wire additions were done in proper color coding.
I was in awe when I activated the bike electrical system and everything worked and nothing melted. The bike had sat dormant for 10 years or so. And then I transferred the harness to a different frame with a later model engine. Had to rewire the 1978 engine to match the 1974 electrical system. Talk about luck....2000 miles later all is well and the battery charges.

When I disconnect the battery for whatever reason, the Acewell retains all the information and no re-setting is needed except for the clock if my memory is correct (which it often isn't).

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 06:46 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #77
DimitriG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Koso units

any anyone got the Koso units?

ive already brought them and the generic instructions dont help much, got a speedo and seprate tach

DimitriG screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 11:45 AM
DimitriG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #78
DimitriG
Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda
Ran across this cool little gadget:

http://www.boxxerparts.de/xtcshop/pr...2V-Boxer-.html

NICE, ive been trying to avoid fitting the sensor to the front wheel for the koso speedo, will these work on the R80/7, with the koso units?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #79
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
What I really like about the wheel sensor is that it is dead accurate once it is calibrated... and I suppose this could be, as well, as long as the final drive ratio is not changed... hmm: interesting!

Let us know if you find out that it works with the Acewell, though it would seem that any pulse generator could be calibrated, since the internal computer has an extremely wide range of inputs.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #80
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
What I really like about the wheel sensor is that it is dead accurate once it is calibrated... and I suppose this could be, as well, as long as the final drive ratio is not changed... hmm: interesting!

Let us know if you find out that it works with the Acewell, though it would seem that any pulse generator could be calibrated, since the internal computer has an extremely wide range of inputs.

I adapted a Suzuki adapter to be like this BMW adapter (there wasn't a BMW adapter avaliable when I bought my Acewell).

It takes a bit of calculating and the assumption that 1 rotation of the final drive means 1 rotation of the tacho drive and it's pretty accurate. Haven't tested it with a GPS yet, but the speed showing is exactly the same or just a little lower than the speed showing on the tacho of a cx500 when both bikes are running alongside each other.

I think it looks way better (and it's certainly way easier) than a sensor in the fornt wheel.
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #81
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB

I think it looks way better (and it's certainly way easier) than a sensor in the fornt wheel.
Yeah, for sure, easier, and it gets away from the problem of what to do with the empty speedo-drive hole. I think someone sells a blank to put in there for something like $15-20 bucks.... yikes!

tempted....
Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #82
DimitriG
Adventurer

koso units installed today, tomorrow's wiring day ;D

today i bolted the koso units onto my /7, i didnt like the look of the digital readout and would rather have white dials and bare metal to match the bike.

tomorrow ill no doubt use your wiring diagram on page 1 to figure stuff out

sorry about crappy pics, blame HTC

DimitriG screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 11:13 AM
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #83
DimitriG
Adventurer

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitriG
NICE, ive been trying to avoid fitting the sensor to the front wheel for the koso speedo, will these work on the R80/7, with the koso units?
just ordered one of these, the b*stards charged me 30 euro for postage!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #84
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
Im extremely interested in going with acewell for my guage choice.... this thread is keeping me happy.....

I too am interested in seeing how well the aftermarket tranny speedo cable works

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #85
DimitriG
Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
Im extremely interested in going with acewell for my guage choice.... this thread is keeping me happy.....

I too am interested in seeing how well the aftermarket tranny speedo cable works
me too, i'm taking a gamble not using the acewell units, but in theory the both front wheel sensor and tranny cable provide a pulse per rev which can be calibrated from the digital speedo, lets see, if not ill be selling the acewell cable
Old 10-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #86
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
today i bolted the koso units onto my /7, i didnt like the look of the digital readout and would rather have white dials and bare metal to match the bike.

tomorrow ill no doubt use your wiring diagram on page 1 to figure stuff out

sorry about crappy pics, blame HTC

One downside to the Acewell IS the digital readout. Angle needs to be just right to see in darkness. Once you have the angle correct all is well. Reliability might be the other downside. Mine works perfectly (so far) after a couple thousand miles and some soggy conditions. I recently did some searches and the Acewell model I purchased last winter doesn't show up anywhere.(?)
Does the Koso unit have nuetral light / signal indicators / oil light / etc?

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #87
DimitriG
Adventurer

i have the bare 55mm GP versions, they have a trip meter and temp sensor you can mount wherever you want.

there are other models with all the turn signal, high beam, etc indicator lights

Old 10-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #88
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
i have the bare 55mm GP versions, they have a trip meter and temp sensor you can mount wherever you want.

there are other models with all the turn signal, high beam, etc indicator lights

What I want is this with a rev counter.

I just can't get over it that Acewell is the only company making a affordable tacho with a rev counter as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #89
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB
What I want is this with a rev counter.

I just can't get over it that Acewell is the only company making a affordable speedo with a rev counter as well.
Fixed it for you. And yes, me too. I like the analog movement of a tach needle.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #90
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Thanx :)

Sometimes the English here gets a bit to technical for me. Weird enough they don't teach you motorcycle parts in English classes at high school here.