Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #91
DimitriG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB
What I want is this with a rev counter.

I just can't get over it that Acewell is the only company making a affordable tacho with a rev counter as well.
closed i found were the moto GP ones or the MX ones

DimitriG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #92
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut

Oddometer: 261
Do you guys have model numbers or links for the Koso and those VDO gauges? I don't seem to see any of them on their websites.

I really like those VDO gauges.
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #93
DimitriG
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkatapt
Do you guys have model numbers or links for the Koso and those VDO gauges? I don't seem to see any of them on their websites.

I really like those VDO gauges.
i got my koso units here, they are designed to be aftermarket gauges, im not sure VDO do aftermarket kits
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #94
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB
Thanx :)

Sometimes the English here gets a bit to technical for me. Weird enough they don't teach you motorcycle parts in English classes at high school here.
Hey, that's OK. I probably be struggling with motorcycle parts in Dutch soon. Mijn Nederlands is niet zo goed als toen ik klein was!
igormortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #95
DimitriG
Adventurer

Question

ok, so Ive mounted the acewell tranny sensor. only one problem, how the hell am i going to dial it in

the sensor from the tranny has 2 wires while the koso front wheel sensor has 3, i popped up the back wheel and put it into 2nd and added some gas just above idle (should be around 15 kph right). searched the internet for and explaination of the wiring colours of both units, nothing. any electric guys out there? is there a way i can use my multimeter to figure this out?

then i just have to add the cir measurements and get it to translate somehow to wheel diameter. i'm assuming that the sensor reads rotations from the driveshaft and that maybe one full rotation of the drive is more or less one wheel rotation. i really don't know anything about the gearing etc, as you can probably tell

DimitriG screwed with this post 10-21-2010 at 01:48 AM
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #96
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitriG
ok, so Ive mounted the acewell tranny sensor. only one problem, how the hell am i going to dial it in

the sensor from the tranny has 2 wires while the koso front wheel sensor has 3, i popped up the back wheel and put it into 2nd and added some gas just above idle (should be around 15 kph right). searched the internet for and explaination of the wiring colours of both units, nothing. any electric guys out there? is there a way i can use my multimeter to figure this out?

then i just have to add the cir measurements and get it to translate somehow to wheel diameter. i'm assuming that the sensor reads rotations from the driveshaft and that maybe one full rotation of the drive is more or less one wheel rotation. i really don't know anything about the gearing etc, as you can probably tell
I thought the guage had a function that allowed you to calibrate the speedometer..... Do you have an owners manual for the gauge?

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #97
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
oh wait... you're not using an acewell? koso instead?

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #98
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
For people interested in a cheaper Acewell. I cam across this:

http://www.dan-moto.com/lcd-digital-...oduct-137.html

See the similarities? I have no idea how good it is.

Found it on do the ton:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19136.0
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #99
DimitriG
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
oh wait... you're not using an acewell? koso instead?
yep, using a koso unit with acewell tranny sensor. so i have some sporking to do
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #100
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Sporking? That's whet you kids are calling it now?

Best guess:

You could try hooking a multi meter to it, set it to ohms so you got some current going to the thing. I'm guessing that it works like a magnet pick up, in that when there is continuity (or no continuity, depending on how it's made) that would be one revolution converted to tire size or distance traveled. (pull the plugs, put it in gear, roll it to take the slack out of the gear train and find continuity or no continuity depending on how it's made, mark the tire or hang some thing off the bike to get a distance measure at that point, roll it again till you get a continuity/no continuity, and measure the distance traveled. Plug that into your formula.

Or find a GPS and head out for the day.

Are you getting no indication at the speedo? Did the speedo come with a wiring diagram you can post?

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #101
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
I suspect the speedometer will be trying to convert pulses to distance traveled, so you need to find how far the bike goes between each pulse signal. I would think your pick-up will read one pulse per revolution- so you could try figuring out how far the tire moves per revolution of the speedo drive and use that number (it would be in millimeters if you were using a Trailtech unit, for example) as your "wheel diameter" figure. I would first mark a spot on your garage floor with tape and set the rear wheel on it, and mark the tire as a start position. Use a piece of wire or the end of an old speedometer cable to make a flag that can fit into the transmission speedo drive. Roll the bike forward in neutral until the transmission flag has made one revolution. Mark the spot on the floor where the tire has stopped. The distance between the tape marks on the floor will be the "tire diameter" figure you need.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #102
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
yeah, that would be easier.

been working on planes and bmws too long.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #103
DimitriG
Adventurer

thanks a bunch guys! im gonna have a crack at this today, i just need to figure out the wiring now. the koso manual isn't miuch help, as it doesn't actually describe the individual wiring properties.

there are 3 wires out of the gauge, i suspect that 2 of them are pickups for the pulse and one power (not needed) for the supplied magnetic front wheel sensor.

hopefully have some results tonight
Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #104
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 417
Some one could make some money selling these things on line in a coherent fashion. So far I haven't seen one site where it shows the options or model numbers clearly.

If I can't fix the speedo case I am going ACEWELL!!

These are very cool.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #105
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Hey guys, I'm Evan, I was the R&D Mgr & Engineer at Electrosport Industries up til last April. (Was laid off when the company went under...then screwed by the new owner, don't get me started...)

Anyways, I'm really familiar with the Acewells. Electrosport was the US distributor for them. I'll be using a couple on my R90 build (see my sig for link). If anybody needs help or has questions about them just let me know.

As for the 2800 series (round housing like bpeckm used),
You CAN use the Gen light (its actually a hazard light indicator). You'd have to take the housing apart.
The outer ring on the 2800's does come off, use small screwdrivers to pry the ring off. You can then pop out the unit from the housing.
You can isolate the ground for the gen warning light, and use it for the gen function. you'd have to solder to the LED itself and run a seperate wire.

If you have other questions, let me know!

Evan
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote