User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Airhead main seal again.

This is a main seal question with a difference.

It was fine for about 15 years ( I've owned the bike since the mid 90s) then last year the main seal started leaking.
I had it replaced by an independent BMW shop who are normally very good, but after a year and two race meetings ( did I mention it's a race bike?) it's leaking again.

I decided to do it myself this time and when I got the old seal out look what I found

It seems that they've done a fair bit of damage removing the old seal and it's clear to me why the new one is leaking already/ You can see traces of loctite around the outside and that tells me that they've tried to stop it leaking. Why else would you fit a seal with loctite?

Anyway. How can I fix it? Loctite clearly doesn't work, maybe silicone sealant or would metal paste like devcon or JB weld?

Advice much appreciated.

John
pommie john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
krehmkej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Pissed That sucks

Man that sucks. After you burn their shop down..

I'd surely try JB Weld. Clean really well with acetone before. Its really not stressed there, so would have a good chance of success.

Expect the worst - you'll never be disappointed.

-jwk-
krehmkej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Pommie:

Can you help ME understand what is wrong in the picture? I'm so new I can't even tell what's so obvious.

Thanks,

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Pommie:

Can you help ME understand what is wrong in the picture? I'm so new I can't even tell what's so obvious.

Thanks,

Tom
Sure. The seal sits in that machined recess. See that scrape across the recess ? Oil can get along that scrape, if you like it's going around the back of the seal and getting into the clutch housing.
It was probably caused by the careless use of a big screwdriver to lever out a seal.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
I'd use a silicone sealant to fill the scar before I installed the seal, then push a litle more in after it's installed.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench
I'd use a silicone sealant to fill the scar before I installed the seal, then push a litle more in after it's installed.

Better than Devcon or JB weld? It feels quite deep.
Loctite didn't seal it.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952
No big deal. I would use something like Yamabond or something of that nature to put around the outer circumference of the seal before I pushed it in. This is a non-rotational surface - the seal just sits there and so the blemish is not a big issue. It's the inner seal lip and what it rides on that's important.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,018
Yamabond

+1 on the Yamabond. jackd beat me to the punch with this one. You'd want to use a non-hardening type of sealer there. Don't know why there was loctite in there as it's not a thread. Might try polishing the gouge down some with 600 wet or dry sand paper. Push the seal in a little deeper. Good Luck

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Great timing.

Just spotted this little dinger on my rear main

it can just barely catch a finger nail... do I need to worry about it?
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
On airplane stuff, when we need to fill gaps, holes, scrapes etc. with thicker epoxy and sealants, we fill in the gap then go over the top with some 1 mil Mylar tape and let the goo dry. Then pull the tape. The result is a nice smooth surface that cuts way down on the sanding and forms better than just trying to work it in. Mylar works well because it's stiff, if you can get your hands on some. Thick packing or maybe scotch tape would probably work as well too.

http://www.tapecase.com/p.2561.656/1...cing-tape.aspx

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,477
Just thought i'd mention ( ignore me if you know) better safe than sorry, you do know that the center boss that's still on the end of the crank has to come off before you install the new seal.

Remove center boss, install new seal, re-insert center boss.

And you do know that you the front of the crank needs any play to be secured before re-installing the seal, boss and flywheel by wedging something between the front cover and alternator.

If you move the crank forward slightly the inner crank thrust washers will drop off their mounting lugs and lock the engine up. Which means the crank out to reposition them.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe
Just thought i'd mention ( ignore me if you know) better safe than sorry, you do know that the center boss that's still on the end of the crank has to come off before you install the new seal.

Remove center boss, install new seal, re-insert center boss.

And you do know that you the front of the crank needs any play to be secured before re-installing the seal, boss and flywheel by wedging something between the front cover and alternator.

If you move the crank forward slightly the inner crank thrust washers will drop off their mounting lugs and lock the engine up. Which means the crank out to reposition them.
hi Steptoe, yeah, that's under control thanks.I put the boss back to the give me something to lever against to get the seal out.

Are you the Steptoe who's in Peckham? I heard about you from this forum. I lived in E Dulwich for years until i came to brisbane in 1999. Strange that we never came across each other.
I bought a fair chunk of my bike from Adrian Rivett in E Dulwich. Do you know him?
Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
That may, or may not, be your problem. If it was good for a year then I wouldn't suspect that gouge. Perhaps the same guy who removed the seal also replaced it, and perhaps nicked or damaged the sealing surface. But I don't understand how it could have stayed sealed for a year and then started leaking. Was there an indication of oil seeping past there when the seal was removed?

A guy in the area here has a 78S that he pushes pretty hard. At 100K it was weeping and replaced the rear main. It kept leaking, so figuring it hadn't been done properly, replaced it a second time. When it continued to leak, he started it up with out the trans in place, cleaned up, and talcum powder sprinkled all around in an attempt to see where the leak was coming from.

Turned out the block had several cracks radiating outward from the rear main area and the oil was seeping from them.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
That may, or may not, be your problem. If it was good for a year then I wouldn't suspect that gouge. Perhaps the same guy who removed the seal also replaced it, and perhaps nicked or damaged the sealing surface. But I don't understand how it could have stayed sealed for a year and then started leaking. Was there an indication of oil seeping past there when the seal was removed?

A guy in the area here has a 78S that he pushes pretty hard. At 100K it was weeping and replaced the rear main. It kept leaking, so figuring it hadn't been done properly, replaced it a second time. When it continued to leak, he started it up with out the trans in place, cleaned up, and talcum powder sprinkled all around in an attempt to see where the leak was coming from.

Turned out the block had several cracks radiating outward from the rear main area and the oil was seeping from them.
I'll certainly look at that possibility.

The thing is, it does really really low mileage. If it's not leaking a great deal it could take a couple of race meetings before the weep gets down to the step under the gearbox ? Maybe?

From memory, I had the seal replaced, and did the big ends and rings etc at the same time.
I then ran the bike in at one test session, say an hour and a half track time.
Then I did one race meeting: two qualifying sessions of 15 minutes each, and three races, same again , so total 2 and 3/4 hours runnning so far.
Add two hours on the dyno where I saw a slight weep on the shelf, and then the last race meeting where it leaked in qualifying, so I stopped.

Total running time since the seal was changed: 5 hours
Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,036
What are you doing to try and reduce the crankcase pressure? It could be that with the revs your turning racing the case pressure is biuilding too high and dumping out the rear seal.