Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
your 800 would not be happy with some of the trails at Brock Creek, you'd be asking AAA Towing to send in a Chopper for an airlift out. But you have to remember those trails was laid out be RVDR's that race AHSCS (Hare scrambles) around the state.

When you coming up?
you want a central Campground for a base camp or are you going to just just setup where ever the mood strikes?

There is a nice Camp ground on the Big Piney, called Long Pool just outside off Hwy 7 and Hwy 164 north of Russellville.

Yeah, I like to explore but since I usually ride alone I try not to get in over my head. Whenever I am bouncing over stuff I think "can I get over that going back?"

Depending on how far I want to travel I may use a central site but I am set up to camp anywhere. I hear that in the national forests you can set up and camp wherever you want. This would be ideal for me since I hate listening to or seeing people while camping. If someone starts playing the radio out of their car and I can hear it I will go ballistic lol. Mainly I tuck into a real camp ground for a shower if I need one .
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Yeah, I like to explore but since I usually ride alone I try not to get in over my head. Whenever I am bouncing over stuff I think "can I get over that going back?"

Depending on how far I want to travel I may use a central site but I am set up to camp anywhere. I hear that in the national forests you can set up and camp wherever you want. This would be ideal for me since I hate listening to or seeing people while camping. If someone starts playing the radio out of their car and I can hear it I will go ballistic lol. Mainly I tuck into a real camp ground for a shower if I need one .
Correct you can camp about anywhere in the national forest you can find comfortable. There is lots of remote scenic spots to find.
I would also suggest getting a Forest map. But I doubt the offices will be open Friday to buy one.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Correct you can camp about anywhere in the national forest you can find comfortable. There is lots of remote scenic spots to find.
I would also suggest getting a Forest map. But I doubt the offices will be open Friday to buy one.
I have wondered where to get the paper maps. Just where zactly are these offices? In town or out in the woods or? All I see are maintenance places, does not look like an office? Or am I blind again? I have never bought a forest map....
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Ranger station in Hector...
Visitor centers at state parks... I think there is one about a mile from your house Gus....

Arkansas Gazateer has the whole state... book stores like Hastings has them...

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
Dragon43
If you insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
Visitor centers at state parks... I think there is one about a mile from your house Gus....

Old 11-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
catzass
Triple Pilot

Oddometer: 387
I don't have a lot to tell you about bout the AR roads but I figured I would share a cool camp ground. If you ride the Tele-Mena parkway from Telehina,OK to Mena and are heading on further east you can stop at my camp ground (its a national forest camp ground) From Mena, AR its 38 miles east on Hwy 8 to Norman, Ar. (Be aware Norman rolls up the streets around dark or so. If you need food or gas you can go 8miles north to Mt Ida) Just north of Norman is the camp ground. CRYSTAL - 9 RV/Tent with no hookups
LOCATION: 1 mile north of Norman on State 27, then turn east for 3 miles on gravel Forest Road 177. (Caddo Ranger District, Glenwood, AR 71943, (870) 356-4186) ATTRACTIONS: Swimming, hiking trail, scenic drives. Nearby Collier Spring. FACILITIES: Vault toilets, water, picnic sites, picnic shelter. (Open year-round) Sites are a concrete pad and a bbq grill.
Bring your own light it is dark as heck. Place is almost always next to empty. Last time I was there I hung my hammock in the shelter (beware of bats at night) time before that I saw a armadillo (his burrow was in my camp site)

Neat place and free if you can live with out electricity and running water.
catzass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
The store at Turner Bend has national forest maps.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
Denver_Lee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel

I got my Gazateer map at the Russellville Wal-Mart. $20
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll give you a garmin file - the best route I know of in the Ozarks.

This was from my last ride in mid Oct. All of these shots are from the area between Jasper and Oark.

Navaho screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 05:31 PM
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #25
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Nice shots!!!

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #26
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll give you a garmin file - the best route I know of in the Ozarks.

Cool pics! PM sent! Thanks everyone for your help! Keep it coming if you got em, I will be spending a lot of time in these NF next year since I am only a days ride out. Of course if I find more cool stuff I will post all my routes on the ride reports! It is great to have someone to point me in the right direction though
Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #27
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,211
Quote:
I like the area north of lake Winona better than south of the lake.
Took the big bikes (GS Adventures without knobbies) on 30 miles of dirt south of the lake after two days of rain about a month ago. Part way across there's a nicely marked road to left -"Lake 18 miles"- of course, nephew chose un-marked right fork :eek: .Beautiful stretch but lots of water at every depression (not so bad, one big creek totally impassable), plenty of baby-head sized rocks (just go slow and pick a good line. Hope you have aftermarket skid-plate.) and some stretchs of wet red clay (not so good) uphills and downhills. Us flatlanders need to remember what effect recent water has in them thar hills. Enjoy.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #28
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Well, I have all my gear spread out around the living room. All I have to do is pack it, load the bike, lube the chain and I am good to go. I have my GPS tracks and it is a very aggressive schedule! I am looking at over 1200 miles in three days with a lot of most likely gravel/dirt roads.

Thanks to everyone who posted routes or e-mailed me stuff. I was trying to find similarities between the routes but everyone has different stuff. This is very encouraging because it seems like I can count on most of the roads to be accessible at least.

I ended up mapping a route that follows something Zecatfish sent me although there is no way I can do that entire route and still get back to Dallas before I have to go to work lol.

I may check this post when I get a signal since I just got a fancy new phone with unlimited web access. But most likely I will be itchy to get back into the forest where there are no signals!!!

I will link my ride report when I get back and process my pictures! Please keep posting more stuff since I will be back again often next year!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #29
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Well, I have all my gear spread out around the living room. All I have to do is pack it, load the bike, lube the chain and I am good to go. I have my GPS tracks and it is a very aggressive schedule! I am looking at over 1200 miles in three days with a lot of most likely gravel/dirt roads.

Thanks to everyone who posted routes or e-mailed me stuff. I was trying to find similarities between the routes but everyone has different stuff. This is very encouraging because it seems like I can count on most of the roads to be accessible at least.

I ended up mapping a route that follows something Zecatfish sent me although there is no way I can do that entire route and still get back to Dallas before I have to go to work lol.

I may check this post when I get a signal since I just got a fancy new phone with unlimited web access. But most likely I will be itchy to get back into the forest where there are no signals!!!

I will link my ride report when I get back and process my pictures! Please keep posting more stuff since I will be back again often next year!!!
Ride safe out there.
I look forward to reading and seeing your pictures.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #30
Dragon43
If you insist.

Check on the tops of the mountains & other high places, you'll be surprised where you can get a signal. Got something to make short and simple posts to the thread with progress reports?

Dragon43 screwed with this post 11-26-2009 at 09:16 PM
Dragon43 is offline   Reply With Quote