ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Using ROUTES in COPILOT

So I've become mildly interested in seeing what my Iphone 5 can do as a GPS. And Copilot seems to get good reviews. But I need to be able to create routes and load them to the phone. HOW is this done? I do not see any instructions for doing so at the Copilot site, and nothing in the app itself. I am well familiar with creating routes with Mapsource & Basecamp. Can somebody please explain the routing capabilities of Copilot? Or if there's a better Iphone app that does routes, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 897
I can only tell you what I have been doing on my Android.
I create a route on my PC, usually using Microsoft Streets and trips. ( I can do it with Mapsource or Google Earth too) I then use ITN converter to generate a CoPilot TRP file. I copy that to my Android into the CoPilot/NA folder. Done.
No idea if that relates to an iPhone.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I can only tell you what I have been doing on my Android.
I create a route on my PC, usually using Microsoft Streets and trips. ( I can do it with Mapsource or Google Earth too) I then use ITN converter to generate a CoPilot TRP file. I copy that to my Android into the CoPilot/NA folder. Done.
No idea if that relates to an iPhone.
Yeah, me neither. There is no "Open Route" button in the app on my Iphone. I'll take a look to see if theres a folder on my phone.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Route planning is pretty easy in the Android App, and it *should* work the same on the Iphone, but maybe there are some differences.. Do you have the free or paid version? That could be one of the features disabled in the free app.

There is another desktop program called RouteConverter. I've used this and Itn Converter at one time or another, but neither recently. This is not something that is officially supported in CoPilot but you can do it by placing the converted .gpx or .kml files in the proper location as CP .trp files. Again, not sure how this is done without an accessible file system on the Iphone..
Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

I found how to load a "trp" file in the app but I had to create the route on the phone, don't see a way to upload one to the phone.

I have the free version now but don't see any mention of this capability in the paid version, just that it allows voice guided and speed limit info on the paid version.

bobbybob screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 08:21 AM
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
I found how to load a "trp" file in the app but I had to create the route on the phone, don't see a way to upload one to the phone.

I have the free version now but don't see any mention of this capability in the paid version, just that it allows voice guided and speed limit info on the paid version.
Have you tried using iTunes to copy the TRP file in? With your iPhone selected, go to the "Apps" tab and then scroll down to "File Sharing". Select CoPilot and drag the file into the Documents pane on the right side.

It's easier to do than to describe...
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Haven't tried that--will give it a try. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Copilot isn't listed as an app that can transfer docs between my computer & phone. Guess it ain't gonna work with a crappy lil iphone!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

So when you copy a trp file onto your droid device, and then open it with Copilot, does it always appear exactly as you created it--or does copilot sometimes re-calc and change some things around?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,538
Never had an iPhone, but couldn't you use Dropbox to transfer the file onto your device?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Copilot isn't listed as an app that can transfer docs between my computer & phone. Guess it ain't gonna work with a crappy lil iphone!
As with you, I cannot find anything in the docs which indicate it's possible to load/save routes, even in the CoPilot Live Premium package. The comparison chart (here) shows that both support "Drag and drop route editing", but there is no entry in the chart to indicate save/load functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Never had an iPhone, but couldn't you use Dropbox to transfer the file onto your device?
This will only work if the app is Dropbox-aware and by the looks of it, CoPilot is not.

It does indicate some support for "cloud backup", but with no indication of which service it's using nor do I think that's something useful here.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
So when you copy a trp file onto your droid device, and then open it with Copilot, does it always appear exactly as you created it--or does copilot sometimes re-calc and change some things around?
It only transfers the points. It calculates a new route in CoPilot. Since the source maps wouldn't be a perfect match to the CoPilot maps, that would be a requirement anyway.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

The .trp files need to be placed into the CoPilot app folder under ../NA/save. How that is done on an Iphone, I don't know..

And to add a little commentary..: Back in the early (pre 7.0) versions of CoPilot, there was also a desktop companion program CoPilot Central. In addition to using this to transfer application and map data to the Windows Mobile device, there was also a planning tool very similar to MS Streets & Trips. Aside from the fact that their map data was lacking in many areas, it worked pretty well for route planning and optimization, where routes could be managed on the device from the desktop. With the improvements in the planning functions on the later versions of the device App, ALK decided to drop support for CP Central and make the device app a stand-alone program. At first this really didn't sit well with a lot of existing users, (myself included), but after awhile I became more comfortable with it. While I still do general planning with Google and paper maps, when it comes time to actually program my route, I find it easy enough to do it directly within the CoPilot app. While it is really nice to have that screen real estate to see the big picture, CP's route planning functions are about as good as anything. But the biggest advantage is that I don't really need a computer at all! Whether on the side of the road, in a restaurant, a tent, or in a motel room, I'm usually able to plan or modify routes directly on my Android. But I still do wish there was a way to import.gpx files!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
As with you, I cannot find anything in the docs which indicate it's possible to load/save routes, even in the CoPilot Live Premium package. The comparison chart (here) shows that both support "Drag and drop route editing", but there is no entry in the chart to indicate save/load functionality.

This will only work if the app is Dropbox-aware and by the looks of it, CoPilot is not.

It does indicate some support for "cloud backup", but with no indication of which service it's using nor do I think that's something useful here.
Are you looking to load/save routes from inside the app?

To save:

Route tab > plan or edit > add stops, waypoints > options tab > save > enter name

To load:

Route tab > plan or edit > options tab > load > select .trip file and open

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Nope, want to create the routes on my desktop computer and then transfer to the phone.