User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
maximuski OP
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 91
F800GS with 30" inseam?

Well, I'm another "inseam challenged" (I'm 5'6" and 30" inseam) and I can't decide about buying a new F8 because of the seat height. I don't trust much in specifications because I used to have an Africa Twin (seat height 33.9 inches according to specs) and although both feet barely touched the ground, actually I didn't have any problem riding the bike.

However I tried a F8 with low Seat (33.5 inches according to specs) a couple of weeks ago here in Canada, And I couldn't touch the ground with one foot. I know the seat height is not the only factor, the bike shape and the seat shape also influence ... I've read some posts about some custom seats (such as corbin) that could help with height limitation, but I want to ask directly...

..do you think a 30" inseam is really a limitation for the F8?? Could I really compensate my lack of height with a Custom seat and/or thicker sole boots??

I really appreciate you opinions, after the Honda AT was discontinued I couldn't find the "right" bike for me... and the F8 is my last hope !

Thanks for you help!

Cheers!

Julian
'98 Suzuki XF650 - Gone
'99 Honda XRV750 - Gone and still hurts!
'07 Suzuki DL650 - Gone
maximuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,890
My Corbin is lower but wider so makes it more difficult. Maybe the Touratech low seat would work. I'm 5'11" but a long back means a 31" inseam. Anticipation and control is everything. Ride it, don't 'paddle' it. I only have to careful on cambers and ridges in the road. The 800GS has a relatively high centre of gravity so you do need to be assertive but you should be able to manage it.

You can also lower the suspension.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
foobar
I remain calm

Oddometer: 20
I'm 5'7" with 30" inseam and have been riding an 800GS for a year or so with no problems. I have the low seat. I'm not completely flat-footed at a stop but that doesn't bother me.

I don't know about custom seats but I was considering adding some gel or other extra padding but can't do it since it adds .5 - 1" to seat height - something to consider.

I've seen this topic come up before and I recall there's quite a few inseam-challenged riders on the 800GS. I love the bike and have no regrets!
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
Just get the freakin thing for cryin out loud!

I'm 5'7" with a 30" in seam.

Get the low seat, or...

I have the stock seat. I had an upholstery guy dish it out and make it more narrow for $30.00. I ride with a bead rider on top of it for comfort.

You will not be able to flat foot both feet, so get used to it. Practice your Captain Morgan stance at the stop lights.

Don't let some ass-clown talk you in to some sort of lowered suspension either.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
5'9", 30" inseam, F800GS with standard seat. Works for me.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
... Don't let some ass-clown talk you in to some sort of lowered suspension either.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
It has been proven time and again that lowering a suspension to "fit" is the single best thing you can do to any motorcycle to increase rider confidence and enjoyment. Only a fool would advise against lowering if it is indicated. Touratech peddles a Hyperpro lowering kit for the F8 which claims 2". In actuality it is about one inch. It is the best thing I have ever done to the F8 for both the performance improvement as well as confidence/handling. I am 6', but have a 31" inseam.

I have many friends and GF's who have lowered their suspensions, and the feedback is uniformly positive.

If I rode only pavement or fire roads, I would have left mine alone. I suspect people who claim to be doing fine with an F8 and a 30" or less inseam are simply not riding it on agressive off road venues such as Lippincott Road and Steel Pass in Death Valley.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
I am 5'9" - 30" inseam. I raised my seat 3" in the center ( but kept it narrow where I stand) with a custom seat builder to avoid the dreaded uncomfortable ski slope stock seat. My seat is flat now and very comfy. I could not touch the ground except on my very tips with my legs very close to the bike.
Since the stock front suspension is horrific & unusable in bumpy conditions at speed and the rear is only acceptable I did the following:
Hyper pro rear shock with high speed & low speed compression dampening and rebound dampening and hydraulic preload and adjustable length from -15mm to -25 mm shorter than stock length. Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork cartridges with 25 mm shorter stroke, new springs with rebound and compression adjustments on the fork caps. These forks use oil weight thru traditional oil dampening ports. They are absolutely the closet thing you can get to dirt forks handling at this time. So in a nutshell if you may want to budget $2,700.00 to get the suspension near perfection and while you are at it lower the bike 1" and get a low sargent seat. 30" inseam will be no issue at all then. Note that when you shorten the rear shock you still get 8" of suspension travel it just does not start at the same point. The fenders have plenty of clearance. This way you end up with 8" of suspension on each end which is adequate for everything but brutal off road single track which I would not take a 400lb dirt bike on anyway.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 905
I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam.
I have no problems riding my F800GS with the standard height seat.

No modifications have been made and despite being the ideal weight the suspension was designed for (185lbs) I still adjust the preload up by at least 5 turns.

Oh yeah...I'm tippy toe on both feet at most stops...still not an issue.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I suspect people who claim to be doing fine with an F8 and a 30" or less inseam are simply not riding it on agressive off road venues such as Lippincott Road and Steel Pass in Death Valley.
it's not the inseam, it's what's in between. But I guess all of us shorties can't handle it eh? what ever chief. You're the man. let's all line up and kiss your ass.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex

If I rode only pavement or fire roads, I would have left mine alone. I suspect people who claim to be doing fine with an F8 and a 30" or less inseam are simply not riding it on agressive off road venues such as Lippincott Road and Steel Pass in Death Valley.
I have a 30" in seam and have no problems riding aggressive mountain passes here in Colorado! Have I dropped the bike because I needed to dab and got air. Yeah, so that will happen on EVERY bike you ride off road! It can't be helped.

Skill and confidence has a lot to do with it. I've ridden my 800 through things that others have paddled through and subsequently tipped over. The bottom line is that people need to honestly and seriously evaluate the type of riding they are going to do. Then they need to know that they will eventually run into something that they will FUCK UP and deal with the consequences!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
it's not the inseam, it's what's in between. But I guess all of us shorties can't handle it eh? what ever chief. You're the man. let's all line up and kiss your ass.
Hey, if you can do it I take my hat off to you. Not all of us are Jimmy Lewis. I readily acknowledge that an excellent rider can manage the bike while never leaving the pegs. I can't. I am not that good. I need to dab in many technical situations. My post was not meant to either insult people with short legs or extoll my own abilities. If I was a better rider I would not have lowered the bike. I am not going to become that good in my lifetime, and I want to enjoy riding the bike in difficult terrain. I suspect the majority of F8 owners are at my general skill level, and to those of them with short legs there is no reason not to get your feet closer to the ground.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
I agree 100% with TMex. For all practical purposes 30" inseam guys need to find a compromise between ground clearance and contact. I lowered mine 1" on each end and now I can get the balls of my feet to touch. That is what I need for dabbing in the nasty jeep trails. I too am not Jimmy Lewis but I am also not a noob when it comes to off roading.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
5'10" 30" inseam...
7,000 miles and counting with a standard seat (now I have the standared TT aftermarket seat for comfort). I also come from riding really tall MX bikes so I am used to reaching for the ground.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam. The standard height works just fine for me.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote