User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,580
Question Modified center stand for lowered F800GS - solution

After four years of ownership since new, I finally had an Ohlins technician lower my 2009 F800GS 1.5 inches/38mm to better accommodate my 29-inch inseam. Now the bike is really fun. I don't know precisely how it was accomplished, but I cannot feel the loss of suspension travel in rough country.

The sidestand needed no change. The centerstand was usable, but it raised the rear wheel too high off the ground for easy reinstallation of the wheel alongside the road. Furthermore, it was a chore to get the bike to pop up on the center stand.

So, I took my spare center stand to a local TIG welder and gave him instructions to shorten it 1 1/2 inches. He did a first-class job. I mounted it and it's much easier to use, and the rear wheel is raised the old height. However, I goofed. The center stand can no longer fully retract because it hits the rear subframe at the passenger peg. (Originally, it was immediately behind the left passenger peg with so little clearance that I had to swing the peg out of the way to place my foot on the center stand.)

EDITED TO READ: The solution with photos appears in this thread.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 04:45 PM
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I was going to be a smartass and say trade it in on a 2013 lowered model... but they don't have centerstands!

Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,421
Have you considered buying a F650GS twin center stand instead? Since you lowered your bike it might work and maybe you can find one used.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Fred, I'm replying because you asked me in a PM to look at this thread, but I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice.

Mine was a 2013 model factory lowered F800GS and BMW changed drastically the design of the center stand in 2013. And even with mine, it was my dealer who did all the work and I can't even tell you how much he shortened it. But he only did so after trying all other options first and none of the sidestands for other models (F700GS, F650GS, etc.) would fit this one.

I don't understand your comment though about the rear wheel being too high off the ground with the center stand to allow installing the wheel. I mean you must only be talking about an inch or two of difference, and even on mine the wheel is quite high off the ground. I sit on my butt behind the bike with the wheel supported between my legs/knees and I am able to get the wheel in place without much trouble at all. And if yours is two difficult, well, for the very few times you might need to do this on the road it should be a simple enough matter to find something to put under the wheel to raise it a bit.

Good luck!
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
I don't understand your comment though about the rear wheel being too high off the ground with the center stand to allow installing the wheel.
That was with the original center stand after the bike was lowered - before the center stand was modified.

What I am looking for is how a modified (i.e., lowered) OEM center stand avoids striking the rear subframe/left passenger peg when retracted. You've sung the praises of the one your dealer modified, and I would like to see how your dealer shaped the center stand to avoid the subframe/passenger peg.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 07:04 PM
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Have you considered buying a F650GS twin center stand instead? Since you lowered your bike it might work and maybe you can find one used.
No. "Might work" deters me from sinking the money into a third center stand. If you had information that it does work, that'd be useful.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 07:04 PM
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
B_C_Ries
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
I think you should cut the stand after it does the bend, just enough to allow the stand to fold up completely, you really do not need that much metal on the ground most of the time,
B_C_Ries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_C_Ries View Post
I think you should cut the stand after it does the bend, just enough to allow the stand to fold up completely, you really do not need that much metal on the ground most of the time,
I agree, but where is the "pedal" moved to that still gives leverage when stepped on? It cannot stick out beyond the peg or it will reduce ground clearance when the bike is heeled over to the left and the suspension is under compression.

I left the bike and two center stands with my welder/mechanic to think on it. Photos and ideas eagerly wanted!

Fred
Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
B_C_Ries
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
I have a BMW R100/7 the center stand is of a similar design and it is only about 5 inches long after the bend. The center stand on my F800GS is about 10 inches long after the bend. I believe that removing something like 2-1/2 inches after the bend will allow the center stand to retract completely. You will still have more leverage than I do on my R100/7.

It is easier to get the F800GS up on the stand than the R100/7 but neither one is really that difficult when you pull the bike backwards as you step on the centerstand .

Since you shortened the stand your leverage should be improved to some degree.
B_C_Ries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I understand that, but the center stand for the 2013 F800GS (the one my dealer modified for me) is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DESIGN from that used on earlier models (like yours).

And I did understand your comment about the ORIGINAL center stand after the bike was lowered... but don't understand how with it the rear wheel could be TOO high to change a wheel. Higher by what... an inch? What real difference does it make if you have to raise your rear wheel two inches or three inches when you install it? You still have to raise it.

If you were complaining about the bike being hard(er) to put onto the original stand after the bike was lowered, that I'd understand. But if that's not the issue then I fail to see what the big deal is. It wouldn't bother me (much) if I had to raise the rear wheel 2 inches, 3, 4, or even more. If I'm lifting it, I'm lifting it. (Done it three times now.)

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
That was with the original center stand after the bike was lowered - before the center stand was modified.

What I am looking for is how a modified (i.e., lowered) OEM center stand avoids striking the rear subframe/left passenger peg when retracted. You've sung the praises of the one your dealer modified, and I would like to see how your dealer shaped the center stand to avoid the subframe/passenger peg.

Fred
Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

I really don't think this is going to be any help to you because the center stand has been completely redesigned for the 2013 F800GS, but here are a couple of photos of mine (that my dealer shortened for me):

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
...the center stand has been completely redesigned for the 2013 F800GS...
Thanks. BMW opted for the SWMotech design!

Keep in mind that when the front forks were shortened, the bike leaned even more onto the front wheel, pivoting forward on the center stand and lifting the rear. Then, add the shortened rear shock pulling the swing arm higher from the ground. The combination of those two factors with the tall center stand had the the rear wheel 4-5 inches higher than before.

I change my own tires and use extra sets of wheels for different tire types. YMMV, but the height I've had to lift rear wheels into place has made the task much more difficult, especially with that spacer. I do not want to deal with reinstalling the axle, spacer and wheel by lifting them to that height alone alongside the road.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 05:47 PM Reason: spelling