User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #31
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Laugh It ain't the legs, it's the mind

Not a bad idea (the crashbars and spraypaint), though I'm doing fine with a 30.5" inseam (just to be annoying ) on a 68" body. Unless you have legs like an NBA star, you're probably going to put a foot down and find air at some point. Like when the front wheel's on a rock or you're on a sidehill. First line of defense is be situationally aware to prevent that. Plan B is slide off and plant a foot. If necessary, you can let the bike down from that position without breaking an ankle. The better you learn to ride, the shorter your legs can be. At this point, mine are just long enough.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #32
Saki_N_Ice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
One question...

Does an 800 lie almost flat on its side when dropped?
Saki_N_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #33
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki_N_Ice
Does an 800 lie almost flat on its side when dropped?
Not if you put the right crash bars on -

-

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #34
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
Not if you put the right crash bars on -

and some pretty highway pegs.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #35
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
confidence more important than inseam

Years (OK, decades) ago I saw a short kid racing an open MX and his father had to hold the bike up at the starting line because there was no way he was going to touch on either side. Damn, he was fast and won the moto going away.
However, anyone that recommends a high CG/seat height bike to any novice is doing them a great disservice. If someone is scared to death everytime they stop, because they can't easily touch, they will find a reason NOT to ride.

confidence is king.
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #36
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
There is a guy that does Dakar who needs a running start to mount his ride - my hero

Don't take this as expert - I'm anything but. I do ride both a 800gs and a 690e. They are each a bit high for my 30" britches. Stops find me on my right ass cheek with left foot flat on the ground and right foot on the peg.

My experience is that bike weight and center of gravity are more important in control and confidence than height. The 690e is taller than the 800gs but I'm happy to billy goat up stuff on the 690e I'd pass by on the 800gs.

Most important in my own mind is that the bike responds quickly to input. I find that I can muscle the taller 690e around much more easily. The trade off is tarmac. So I choose based on the day.

I'd say buy the 800gs - you'll be fine with the 30" I put 10k on it this year and it went from 'huge' to 'glove.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpoley
Years (OK, decades) ago I saw a short kid racing an open MX and his father had to hold the bike up at the starting line because there was no way he was going to touch on either side. Damn, he was fast and won the moto going away.

confidence is king.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #37
Pangit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
5' 4" 29" inseam, low seat, thick soled boots, no problem. Just be mindful to slide to the right to plant your foot flat on the ground with the left still on the peg when you stop. You will get used to it. Fit AdvSpec crash bars, Barkbusters and Jessie bags and you are good to go. You will plant your foot in a pot hole sometime or get caught in slow traffic, then you will suffer a tip over. Dont worry, the slight damage will be minimal at best if you follow my advice above. Will provide photos if you require.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #38
Saki_N_Ice
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen
My experience is that bike weight and center of gravity are more important in control and confidence than height. The 690e is taller than the 800gs but I'm happy to billy goat up stuff on the 690e I'd pass by on the 800gs.
I was under the impression that the 650 had a lower center of gravity than the 800. Sitting on them in the shop doesn't necessarily give a true picture. Can anyone confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit
5' 4" 29" inseam, low seat, thick soled boots, no problem. Just be mindful to slide to the right to plant your foot flat on the ground with the left still on the peg when you stop. You will get used to it. Fit AdvSpec crash bars, Barkbusters and Jessie bags and you are good to go. You will plant your foot in a pot hole sometime or get caught in slow traffic, then you will suffer a tip over. Dont worry, the slight damage will be minimal at best if you follow my advice above. Will provide photos if you require.
I'd love to see the pix! I'd hate to get pushed into the 650 just b/c I'm short. My current bike is a Kawi 650 and I' like to experience a "true upgrade" when I buy the new ride.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #39
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit
Why would you leave your left on the peg? If you stop you should have already downshifted into first. So if you are on any type of incline you are using your front brake to keep the bike from rolling? In the mountains where inclines average 5% or more its nice not to have to control the brake and throttle at the same time to prevent from rolling backwards.

Just curious cause I leave my right on the peg where I have control of the rear brake and just hold the clutch in. Lights don't last that long that I can't hold a clutch lever for 30 or 45 seconds!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #40
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
Saki-He said 690---as in he is comparion his 800GS to a KTM 690, not BMW 650.

Yes the BMW 650 willhave a lower centre of gravity, since it is basically a lower version of the 800, with shorter suspension travel and less ground clearance.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #41
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Saki-He said 690---as in he is comparion his 800GS to a KTM 690, not BMW 650.

Yes the BMW 650 willhave a lower centre of gravity, since it is basically a lower version of the 800, with shorter suspension travel and less ground clearance.
Thanks, omnivore - that's true KTM690 not BMW650.

Biggest difference between 690e and 800gs will be weight alone. Dry 690e is ~ 310 lbs where 800gs is ~ 400lbs. Makes a huge difference and when riding off road, I'm more capable/confident on the 690e even though it's a taller bike than the 800gs.

I guess my point is that I'm less concerned with bike height than some other factors. My personal experience is that height can be managed. Hell yes I'd like to have 33" to the floor but that ain't happening.

I guess the best advice is to spend as much time as you can comparing the 650/800 on the floor or much more preferably on a test ride.

Second to that I'd say get the 800 if you have confidence in you physical skills. This bike is very sweet.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #42
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Changed tire/rim sizes and now my feet dangle like a little kid sitting on Dad's big bike. Yikes!
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #43
Saki_N_Ice
Adventurer

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #44
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,455
I'm 5'6" with 30" inseam. Right now I'm riding my F8 with the lowered seat, soft on the rear stock suspension and I lowered the front about an inch. The bike is a big upgrade for me, so I went low on the suspension to keep my confidence up while I get used to the thing. I can tip-toe the bike on both feet at a stop, but I usually flat foot one side instead and it's fine. So far, the height is not nearly as much of an issue as I thought it would be for comfort and handling, so I'm thinking I'll tighten up the back and put the forks back to normal in about a month.

hope that was helpful. If you want the bike, you'll find ways to make it work for you.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #45
ro mexico
BMW F800GS

Oddometer: 5
thats correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
It has been proven time and again that lowering a suspension to "fit" is the single best thing you can do to any motorcycle to increase rider confidence and enjoyment. Only a fool would advise against lowering if it is indicated. Touratech peddles a Hyperpro lowering kit for the F8 which claims 2". In actuality it is about one inch. It is the best thing I have ever done to the F8 for both the performance improvement as well as confidence/handling. I am 6', but have a 31" inseam.

I have many friends and GF's who have lowered their suspensions, and the feedback is uniformly positive.

If I rode only pavement or fire roads, I would have left mine alone. I suspect people who claim to be doing fine with an F8 and a 30" or less inseam are simply not riding it on agressive off road venues such as Lippincott Road and Steel Pass in Death Valley.
correcto amigo
BMW R50 1964
HONDA CT90 1964

EX KTM 950 S 04
EX KTM 640 03
EX TRIUMPH TIGER 885 95
EX KLR 650 93
EX BMW R100RS 79
EX TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE T100 07
ro mexico is offline   Reply With Quote