User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #46
EvilX
Disensouled Body

Oddometer: 13
Captain Morgan?

What is this "Captain Morganing" of which you speak?

I'm a kinda-short person on a regular old R1100S on which I can put the balls of my feet firmly on the ground, and I'm considering the F800GS for my next - once there's a good stock of used bikes around . I hadn't realized it was so tall - per the specs it's a good 3/4 inch difference between 'em. So, am I already Captain Morganing, or will I have to learn?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #47
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I'm 5 9, 190#, 28in inseam

yes, I am top tall!

Stock seat, advspec crash bars, hand guards

I've dropped it a few times, once in traffic, which was not good (end of a 500 mile ride)

You'll be fine. It's a great bike!
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #48
yota
Wayde

Oddometer: 107
Yo, Maddaddy,
How does the 800 compare to the 1200 you had.
Just bought a 1200 but It aint as good offroad as my canyon and i am thinking of going for the 800.
I like the low end grunt from my canyon for corner to corner offroad.
I can also get far up on the tank for cornering on the canyon and can't get close to the same point on my GS.
should I jump to the 800?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #49
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilX
What is this "Captain Morganing" of which you speak?

I'm a kinda-short person on a regular old R1100S on which I can put the balls of my feet firmly on the ground, and I'm considering the F800GS for my next - once there's a good stock of used bikes around . I hadn't realized it was so tall - per the specs it's a good 3/4 inch difference between 'em. So, am I already Captain Morganing, or will I have to learn?
Lol I do this every time I'm at a light.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #50
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 798
With a 34" inseam, I am able to plant my feet solidly on the ground, I don't really need to do a Capt. Morgan, but do it every time anyway when stopping, on or off road. It just feels better, and is a good habit, IMO .

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #51
EvilX
Disensouled Body

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor
With a 34" inseam, I am able to plant my feet solidly on the ground, I don't really need to do a Capt. Morgan, but do it every time anyway when stopping, on or off road. It just feels better, and is a good habit, IMO .
Thank you! As I suspected, I am already Captain Morganing - not every time but at long lights for sure.

Somebody upthread said if they had to Captain Morgan they wouldn't ride the bike - ?? I guess that means if you couldn't even tippy-toe. I know people do sometimes ride bikes that they can't touch on both sides at all but that takes more balls than I gots. And also more crashbars than I gots.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #52
Willwork4F800GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Apparently I have a little Captian's in me also I'm only 5'7" with a 28" inseam, I always ride with boots on, they help, but it's still pretty tall for me. My small stature pretty much eliminates my F8 from seeing any serious off road action, the seat height and weight would kick my butt in the woods.

The bikes weight and seat height also make it pretty challenging to push around (while on it) for parking, other than that I feel pretty comfortable even stopped striking a Captains!
Willwork4F800GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #53
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,075
30 inch inseam and I'll never go back to a lowered bike again. Short of spending a darn fortune for aftermarket specialty parts, I've never experienced a lowered bike that performed nearly as well as a non-lowered one.

I ride an F8 with a lowe seat. Love it. Sure I sometimes look a little dorky muscling it around, morganing at stops, or having to get off to make a challenging turn around but who cares (this isn't a Harley fashion show bike).

IMHO the stock F8 represents the best compromise bike out there whether it's loaded to the rim with gear or running without any luggage.

Had a lowered 650 single once. Only took a couple of weeks grinding the pegs in turns and scraping the bottom up to realize that lowering doesn't suit my riding style.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #54
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 91
Im at about 31" inseam, should I go for the low seat just to make life easier? Or is it more uncomfortable than the standard?
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #55
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinSouth View Post
Im at about 31" inseam, should I go for the low seat just to make life easier? Or is it more uncomfortable than the standard?
I am 30" with low seat - still no flat foot. Can't compare seats though - did end up with custom stuffing for mine and works
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #56
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
5'9" 30 inch inseam and a Sargent World seat. Yes I ride aggressively off pavement and the bike is fine without lowering.

Lowering is for pansies. Dave
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #57
HeadinSouth
vroom!

i guess I should ask if the short seat is more or less comfortable than the regular.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #58
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
i guess I should ask if the short seat is more or less comfortable than the regular.
The short seat is basically the regular with less foam. So it's going to be less comfortable than the regular.

Go to the dealership and throw a leg over the bike with both types of seats. You may not need the short seat.

Even if you go with the regular seat, it's most likely not going to be some uber-comfy seat that you can ride on all day.

inmate-n00b screwed with this post 12-09-2010 at 02:49 PM Reason: engrish
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #59
HeadinSouth
vroom!

I also wonder with the short seat having a hump, you would have movement issues while offroad riding? IE: moving forward and backward on the seat.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #60
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
I also wonder with the short seat having a hump, you would have movement issues while offroad riding? IE: moving forward and backward on the seat.
Moving issues no... hopefully you are not sliding your butt along the seat, usually try to move around when standing on the pegs...

If you want to sit back, say... during a long highway ride... I don't find the "hump" in the low seat to be an issue, kind of good for the butt to feel something different after hours in the saddle and with hours to go!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote