Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #91
FNMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
TT Low Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenF1 View Post
I am 1m 77cm ( 5' 9"?) and have problems beeing confident on the F800gs ( which I would really really like to swap for my current Triumph Tiger 800 roadie)

I have tried the low seat by BMW, no good enough yet.
I am wondering, would the Touratech low seat for the F800gs be lower than the BMW low seat ?
Can 't tell from the specs, as they indicate the distances from saddle to pegs at TT, and I need to know from saddle to ground....

Tiger is 810mm in lowest std seat position, and with the LOW seat it goes down to 790mm. Which is perfect for me
800gs is 850mm with the LOW seat installed..

What would it be with the TT low seat installed, anybody compared the BMW low seat already with the TT low seat on a F800 GS ..?

BR

Omen
The Touratech low seat is lower than the BMW low seat in my opinion. I love the TT low seat and can ride all day without a sore butt.

Be aware that your knees will be cramped. I had to purchase lowered pegs but now I can ride standing up indefinitely.

BTW, I have the HyperPro 25mm springs and I have to put almost all the preload in to get the bike to handle well when loaded for a trip which eliminates the 25mm drop and puts the bike back at an almost stock height.

Short legs suck!

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
2010 BMW F800GS Lava Orange
FNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #92
maximuski OP
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 91
I don't know the answer to your specific question but I can tell you that the hyper pro lower suspension is the solution. It makes the bike 5cms (2in) lower. After putting this new suspension initially I was using the low seat as well but now I'm using the standard seat because the profile (edges) of the low one is just too uncomfortable.

Now my f8 is the perfect bike for me. If it works for me (168 cms/5'6") it would work for you

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
maximuski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #93
Teli Rides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm a convert to the one foot down aproach

I posted several months ago about my worries (outright terror) with the seat height... at the end I trusted an inmate's phrase (thank you Soph9) "seat height is a state of mind" I learned to be confident with one foot down, the other on the peg.

I test rode the 800 and its a great bike, but too similar to my 650 Twin..

For the rough stuff I got a 690 Enduro which is taller than the 800 GS even with the lowering link I can't reach the ground with both toes. but I feel confident with one ball of my foot down on either side...

[/url]
Windows Phone_20130328_020 by oMunch, on Flickr

Talking about a short guy on a tall bike! this was taken with the stock height, even with the lowering link it doesn't get much better...

Now days even on the 650 Twin that I kept for the pavement mostly rides with my street bike buddies, and because I love the feel of the BMW, I use the one boot firmly and flat on the ground an the other in the peg approach. I learned in this bike before plunging the $$ for a new one!

I tried the 800 with the low seat and I can touch both toes so, NOW I would not be afraid to ride it... maybe I'll upgrade to a 800 ADV over the next couple of years..

So, listen to the other inmates wisdom and go for the bike you like, start practicing touching with one foot on your current bike and then go for it! BMW's are such nice bikes! and the new 800 ADV is sweet!

Cheers!
Teli Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #94
scatto1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Standard height ok for 30" inseam

I happend to be 5'6" with a 30" inseam. The one foot method works great for me. I can get both toes down but prefer the single foot (as recommended by the MSF course). I do have a Seargent seat but it's standard height.
Too many pedal bikes to list
scatto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #95
OmenF1
wannabe explorer

Oddometer: 69
thanks !

Thanks you guys and gals, that's solid aDvice , I am inspired again

Will start practising today.

Then I start to search activly again for a good F800GS with some nice farkles on

Thanks again, will report on progress

Omen

OmenF1 screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 05:04 AM Reason: type-O
OmenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #96
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex View Post
It has been proven time and again that lowering a suspension to "fit" is the single best thing you can do to any motorcycle to increase rider confidence and enjoyment. Only a fool would advise against lowering if it is indicated. Touratech peddles a Hyperpro lowering kit for the F8 which claims 2". In actuality it is about one inch. It is the best thing I have ever done to the F8 for both the performance improvement as well as confidence/handling. I am 6', but have a 31" inseam.

I have many friends and GF's who have lowered their suspensions, and the feedback is uniformly positive.

If I rode only pavement or fire roads, I would have left mine alone. I suspect people who claim to be doing fine with an F8 and a 30" or less inseam are simply not riding it on agressive off road venues such as Lippincott Road and Steel Pass in Death Valley.
........... I wish to offer a counter point:
FEET belong on the FOOT-PEGS.
A 30 inch inseam will easily allow both feet to reach the footpegs, and a slight shift to the LEFT will allow a left foot dab, easily enough, while the RIGHT foot retains easy access to the rear brake lever.
EXACTLY NEVER does one need two feet caressing the Earth's surface from the seat of a motorcycle.
NEVER.
To believe otherwise is unnecessarily hazardous.

Full Power screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 01:50 AM Reason: speld it worng furst tyme
Full Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #97
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
While I agree with no need to have both feet planted at a stop. Consider other scenarios. You're on a slight off camber. On the side stand (say at a gas station), the bike is fully loaded. Panniers. Full fuel. Top box/bag.

There were sometimes where I literally didn't have the leg length to "right" the bike.

How would you advise going around that? Not being a smart ass. Just genuinely curious.

I'm 6' but have a 30" inseam. So bike shopping and riding is a curious endeavor.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #98
Teli Rides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
While I agree with no need to have both feet planted at a stop. Consider other scenarios. You're on a slight off camber. On the side stand (say at a gas station), the bike is fully loaded. Panniers. Full fuel. Top box/bag.

There were sometimes where I literally didn't have the leg length to "right" the bike.

How would you advise going around that? Not being a smart ass. Just genuinely curious.

I'm 6' but have a 30" inseam. So bike shopping and riding is a curious endeavor.
Hi

I also have 30" inseam

Option 1: Mount/dismount without the side stand down. I reckon this is easier with a 150 Kg Bike. Would I do it with a fully loaded 300 Kg GSA? maybe I'd give it a 2nd thought at my current skill and strenght level but I guess practise is the key to build confidence.

Option2: Push the bike to a place with level ground, I don't expect to look cool while parking in reverse, or go though a place where other riders can put both feet down to push the bike... I either dismount and push or gas it and try to make it though....

Option3: If the weight is gaining on, stick your leg out of the way and let the bike go.

Neither of these options are cool or good looking but its a little price to pay in order to have the bike you like... I'm a wuss and was terrified of this seat heigh issue for years, but at the end I had two choices either could be riding low bikes that I don`t really ring my bell forever, or suck it up and learn how to adapt. There is a really interesting video out there of an average height girl getting on a Rally Bike, and boy those things are tall...

I still don't feel that comfortable with the towering seat heights in many situations, but I'll improve with the miles...

This issue has been talked about a lot on this and other forums, but I wanted to share my recent experience of going from one mindset to another...

Cheers
Teli Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #99
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
How about some of those shoes that strippers wear? They should be good for 7 to 8 inches of extra inseam.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #100
OmenF1
wannabe explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
Hi

I also have 30" inseam

Option 1: Mount/dismount without the side stand down. I reckon this is easier with a 150 Kg Bike. Would I do it with a fully loaded 300 Kg GSA? maybe I'd give it a 2nd thought at my current skill and strenght level but I guess practise is the key to build confidence.

Option2: Push the bike to a place with level ground, I don't expect to look cool while parking in reverse, or go though a place where other riders can put both feet down to push the bike... I either dismount and push or gas it and try to make it though....

Option3: If the weight is gaining on, stick your leg out of the way and let the bike go.

Neither of these options are cool or good looking but its a little price to pay in order to have the bike you like... I'm a wuss and was terrified of this seat heigh issue for years, but at the end I had two choices either could be riding low bikes that I don`t really ring my bell forever, or suck it up and learn how to adapt. There is a really interesting video out there of an average height girl getting on a Rally Bike, and boy those things are tall...

I still don't feel that comfortable with the towering seat heights in many situations, but I'll improve with the miles...

This issue has been talked about a lot on this and other forums, but I wanted to share my recent experience of going from one mindset to another...

Cheers

again very helpfull, thx a lot ! I also think about "blind crossroads, in between houses, going uphill, you need to put the bike to a standstill to check traffic.
That's how the 1150gs got layed down a few times
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #101
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
My 2 cents with a short inseam

I'm 5'5-1/2" with an inseam of 28 - 29 inches (depending on how I measure). I have an F800GS, but if I could redo it, I'd go for the lower F650.

Most of the time, being able to touch the ground securely is not all that important. But sometimes it means a lot, not while riding, but while getting on and off. You use a lot more acrobatics with shorter legs.

I have the Hyperpro 50mm lowering springs and a shortened sidestand. It helps a lot, but is not as good a solution as replacing the fork cartridges and shock with more normal ones that can be disassembled to add spacers to shorten the travel. However, that costs over 4 times the Hyperpros. The main downside to progressive lowering springs is that the extra sag created amplifies road camber when parking. When the slope is downwards to the left, the weight transfers more onto the sidestand, the suspension extends, and the bike leans even more. In the other direction, I need to lean the bike to the right for enough clearance to lower the sidestand. I have to slide my butt over to the right edge of the seat, the suspension again extends, taking away my lowered seat height, and my left leg is too short to put the sidestand down before my ankle gets pushed away from the sidestand by the footpeg. Been stuck there for a little while a couple of times. I can choose to get on and off with the sidestand still up, which is normal with my lighter dirt bike. Just know that every so often, a boot gets tangled or something similar, and it gets precarious.

Mainly off road, 2-4 inches of uneven ground can be problematic. If the grass is a foot tall, you can't see depressions. You put a foot down and find only air as the bike leans further and gets very heavy on that side. Time to eject. Shortly after I got the bike, it stalled and fell over in my front yard. I tore some shoulder muscles trying to hold it up, and then it yanked me down where my ribs stopped against my elbow and bruised them. It might just be that I'm now a bit older, and my muscles are weaker and tear easier. Lesson learned - keep your feet on the pegs like a trials bike until you have to eject like a fighter pilot - but don't try to save it when it's falling over.

I've practiced starting off from standing alongside the bike. It's more than a bit awkward releasing the clutch and twisting the throttle (which at the moment is almost out of reach) with the bike pulling away from you while you are pulling yourself forward, chest down leg up, etc. It takes me a good 2 to 4 bike lengths before I'm actually controlling the bike and watching out ahead. Not a very good style for small parking lots. It works, but I stopped doing it.

None of these things mean much with a 250 lb dirt bike. I always get off and on with the (much weaker) sidestand retracted. Compared to the F800gs, it is 3 times easier to hold up when leaning, and no strain if I have to pick it up after dropping it. No one or the bike cares much if the bike gets dropped, there is rarely a car or other bike close enough to fall onto, and never a bike with a perfect paint job and gleaming chrome.

Yeah, I admit to having inseam envy. Just ignore those "never ever dropped my motorcycle types." That's not going to be you!
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #102
maximuski OP
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schai View Post
I'm 5'5-1/2" with an inseam of 28 - 29 inches (depending on how I measure). I have an F800GS, but if I could redo it, I'd go for the lower F650.

Most of the time, being able to touch the ground securely is not all that important. But sometimes it means a lot, not while riding, but while getting on and off. You use a lot more acrobatics with shorter legs.

I have the Hyperpro 50mm lowering springs and a shortened sidestand. It helps a lot, but is not as good a solution as replacing the fork cartridges and shock with more normal ones that can be disassembled to add spacers to shorten the travel. However, that costs over 4 times the Hyperpros. The main downside to progressive lowering springs is that the extra sag created amplifies road camber when parking. When the slope is downwards to the left, the weight transfers more onto the sidestand, the suspension extends, and the bike leans even more. In the other direction, I need to lean the bike to the right for enough clearance to lower the sidestand. I have to slide my butt over to the right edge of the seat, the suspension again extends, taking away my lowered seat height, and my left leg is too short to put the sidestand down before my ankle gets pushed away from the sidestand by the footpeg. Been stuck there for a little while a couple of times. I can choose to get on and off with the sidestand still up, which is normal with my lighter dirt bike. Just know that every so often, a boot gets tangled or something similar, and it gets precarious.

Mainly off road, 2-4 inches of uneven ground can be problematic. If the grass is a foot tall, you can't see depressions. You put a foot down and find only air as the bike leans further and gets very heavy on that side. Time to eject. Shortly after I got the bike, it stalled and fell over in my front yard. I tore some shoulder muscles trying to hold it up, and then it yanked me down where my ribs stopped against my elbow and bruised them. It might just be that I'm now a bit older, and my muscles are weaker and tear easier. Lesson learned - keep your feet on the pegs like a trials bike until you have to eject like a fighter pilot - but don't try to save it when it's falling over.

I've practiced starting off from standing alongside the bike. It's more than a bit awkward releasing the clutch and twisting the throttle (which at the moment is almost out of reach) with the bike pulling away from you while you are pulling yourself forward, chest down leg up, etc. It takes me a good 2 to 4 bike lengths before I'm actually controlling the bike and watching out ahead. Not a very good style for small parking lots. It works, but I stopped doing it.

None of these things mean much with a 250 lb dirt bike. I always get off and on with the (much weaker) sidestand retracted. Compared to the F800gs, it is 3 times easier to hold up when leaning, and no strain if I have to pick it up after dropping it. No one or the bike cares much if the bike gets dropped, there is rarely a car or other bike close enough to fall onto, and never a bike with a perfect paint job and gleaming chrome.

Yeah, I admit to having inseam envy. Just ignore those "never ever dropped my motorcycle types." That's not going to be you!
Did you cut your oem side stand or have something aftermarket? I have the same problems with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
maximuski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #103
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuski View Post
Did you cut your oem side stand or have something aftermarket? I have the same problems with it.
I cut the OEM sidestand.

I played with different thickness boards under the tires to raise the bike until it looked okay. Then I marked and cut the sidestand at the level of the top of the boards.

I made up a steel plate about twice the original area, (should have gone 3 times bigger). I made it to be as small as possible where it needs to clear the ground when being lowered. I welded on the plate.

Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #104
OmenF1
wannabe explorer

seat from Top Selleries

Tested F800GS today which had a seat from Top Selleries (French).
Was even lower then the BMW LOW seat, so that is what I need.

anybody has experience with those maybe ..?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #105
redxblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I have a similar problem and didn't want to start a new thread. I'm actively shopping for an f650gs and found two that I like. One is bone stock with 6k miles and the other is factory lowered with crash bars and in the color I most want with 4k miles (and is $700 cheaper). So my question is kind of the opposite. If I bought the factory lowered bike, how difficult would it be to get it to stock height?

(I'm 5'9" w/ a 30" inseam)
redxblack is offline   Reply With Quote