Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #106
redxblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I searched and searched and then asked. Then I searched again and found the answer to my question. Looks like I'll buy the less colorful, slightly more mileage, slightly more expensive option because buying a new shock and new fork tubes, side stand and center stand just seems like more than $700 savings (and you can't ride a color).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=32
redxblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #107
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by redxblack View Post
I searched and searched and then asked. Then I searched again and found the answer to my question. Looks like I'll buy the less colorful, slightly more mileage, slightly more expensive option because buying a new shock and new fork tubes, side stand and center stand just seems like more than $700 savings (and you can't ride a color).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=32

You're confusing me.

That thread you posted refers to raising a 650 to 800 height, not a lowered 650 to a regular 650 height. I thought the lowered 650 just had the fork tubes repositioned higher in the triples and had a different rear shock. No centre stand and a shortened side stand.

Well, you can raise the front to normal height for free. As for the rear shock, I wonder if the overall eye to eye length is the same as a regular but with a shorter spring? I have the stock, regular height springs available, just sitting in the garage. The side stand can be lengthened and a regulat centre stand installed. Used ones do surface.

Alternately, there is always someone trying to convert their bike up or down in the flea market.

Color is important to some. If you're going to get a bike you may as well like it.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #108
OmenF1
wannabe explorer

Oddometer: 69
do you like apples ?

How do you like them apples..? :

I have lost about 40 pounds the last year.
I came across an F800GS in whilst on a weekend in Eiffel region Germany, which had a BMW low seat. - The one that did not fit me a year ago. Hence my post earlier in this topic.

The guy asked me to try and sit on it, which I did.
And it worked - The low seat from Top Selleries ( which I thought was lower dan BMW low seat) was NOT lower, confirmed height by that company : 850mm = the BMW low seat.

By losing the 40 pounds, quite some fat has dissappeared from my rear end it seems, which puts my croutch lower on the bike!!

So I am fully dedicated looking for that 2nd hand 800 GS now !!

Top tip ( if applicable) : loose some extra pounds in the ass section

BR / Omen
OmenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #109
1or2Cylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
30" inseam here. Just got my '14 F800GS with a low seat. Both heals are just off the ground. Captain Morgan works well. Same exact height as my Honda 250 xrl. Still getting used to it but loving it so far. Demo'd a GSA too high and no low seat available. Not interchangeable.
1or2Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #110
ag40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1or2Cylinder View Post
30" inseam here. Just got my '14 F800GS with a low seat. Both heals are just off the ground. Captain Morgan works well. Same exact height as my Honda 250 xrl. Still getting used to it but loving it so far. Demo'd a GSA too high and no low seat available. Not interchangeable.
8gsa comes with the low seat too as an option.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #111
1or2Cylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Very True but the GSA low seat height is closer to the F800GS standard seat height than to the low seat for the F800GS. GSA low seat height was still a little much for me.
1or2Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #112
davss
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1or2Cylinder View Post
Very True but the GSA low seat height is closer to the F800GS standard seat height than to the low seat for the F800GS. GSA low seat height was still a little much for me.
How about getting the GSA and lowering it using Touratech/Hyperpro 35mm lowering kit? It would give you roughly 825mm which is 5mm higher than the lowest GS. This would be with an untouched low seat that comes with the OEM 860mm bike height. I do not know how much lower and uncomfortable it would get though?

What would you do, get a GS 820mm and then optionally lower it to 800mm to get both feet flat on the ground for confidence. Or get the GSA, lower it to 825mm (possibly 820 with a seat swap) and have feet balls touching the ground only?
I'm thinking about long distance travelling and would probably miss the larger tank, central stand and possibly ESC although this one could be a trip/wallet killer if breaks especially in remote areas (apparently it's very expensive to replace too). I know Touratech made expensive but nice extra 22L (total 36L vs. 16L) tanks for GS models up to 2012. None such exist for 2013 nor 2014 apart from CamelTank taking up luggage space.

I'm not an experienced heavy adventure bike rider. Did only one 8 months SE Asia trip on a 125cc customised scooter with both feet always flat on the ground. It was approx 30% off-road and quite steep hills where goats live (thank Google maps!).

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
David
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #113
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
This thread sounds like one of those meetings where a guy stands up and says...."hi, I'm 5'7", 30in inseam"...and the crowd replies..."Hi, Hey, Hello, Welcome 5'7", 30in inseam"... :)

I'm the 5'7", 30in inseam guy, with some adventure boots that might get me a half an inch more in height and ride a F8GSA.

Pretty daunting at first, trying to figure out a way to "land" when coming up to a light or a stop sign but after 3000 miles it has gotten a lot easier. For me it's usually more about smooth braking, getting a foot down (which one depends on if the road is at an angle), touching down with that foot and when the bike is stopped, putting the other foot down. With that, I'm still on my tippy toes but it's not a big deal. Although I had never heard the "Captain Morgan" description, I don't usually do that but if there's an incline, that position works as it allows me to keep my right foot on the brake.

Offroad isn't much of a problem either if you maintain proper balance and throttle control. The F8 is amazingly nimble and responds well to a blip of the throttle to use the natural gyroscopic affects of the engine to keep you upright. I've ridden in some pretty gnarly sh*t down in Mexico with these heavy adventure bikes and when I see most guys going down in the technical stuff, they aren't maintaining enough speed and momentum, they aren't picking the right lines, or they are following someone too close; the person in front does something and the guy behind reacts so not to hit them and goes down himself.

Don't follow people. Learned that racing....you can't pass someone if you're directly behind them.

I will wholeheartedly admit that the bike is a bit big for me and it requires concentration to keep it upright in some situations but I've been able to manage it without a lower seat on the GSA, without lowering the suspension and not riding with a pair of boots that looks like what the guys in the band "KISS" wore back in the 70s.

My question to all that have 20k or 30k miles on their F800GS...does the suspension sag over time. The suspension on my 2011 RT did, just wondering if the F8 follows suit.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #114
r1d3rg652gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I decided to chime in since I am interested to get a 800GS. I currently drive a G650GS (2010) and able to put one foot flat (without leaning the bike) and the other one half of it on the street. My height is about 5' 8'' and inseam about 32-33''. I guess with the lower seat (85mm) I will be able to manage it.
r1d3rg652gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #115
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
I am 6' and I cannot put both feet flat on the ground when I'm on my F800GS. I also do not care at all. I could put 1 foot flat on the ground and be on the ball of the other foot or be almost flat footed on both sides. Instead I keep 1 foot on the peg and the other I barely touch my toes to the ground, I also like to practice putting both feet on the pegs before I start to engage the clutch. (still need more practice on that one).

Fred Flintstone may have needed to have both feet firmly on the ground but I do not.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #116
profoundly_disturbed
Life's too short

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
This thread sounds like one of those meetings where a guy stands up and says...."hi, I'm 5'7", 30in inseam"...and the crowd replies..."Hi, Hey, Hello, Welcome 5'7", 30in inseam"... :)

I'm the 5'7", 30in inseam guy, with some adventure boots that might get me a half an inch more in height and ride a F8GSA.

Me, I'm 5'9" with 28.5" inseam on a 2014 F8GSA with standard seat and suspension.

It can be awkward for me at times, but what the hell. That's why they call it "Adventure Riding". We're going to fall over at some point - guaranteed.

Right foot down (except when inappropriate) - way to go.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #117
tomman
Adventurer

Here are a couple of takes on riding a tall bike:

How To Ride A Tall Motorcycle If You Are Short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8iH0ChlNro

How to handle and ride a tall motorcycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07hML6bJOA
tomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #118
tomman
Adventurer

F800GS with 30" inseam?

After considering many options & almost buying a low suspension standard F800GS and a regular-height used F800GS, I was inspired by Leslie (Soph9) to get what I really wanted - the F800 GSA. I was lucky to find one used from a fellow ADV inmate in my state & we made a deal last Saturday.

It was too tall for me initially with standard suspension settings & seat but once I took some preload out of the rear & put on the low seat it's fine for me to handle! As I get more experience & confidence I'll continue adding preload to get it closer to standard.

I love it & I'll be putting lots of miles on it. Now I just have to build up some vacation time again after recently switching companies.

There is hope for those of us with shorter legs after all!

tomman screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 01:15 PM Reason: added photo
tomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #119
davss
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I also got a brand new F800 GSA-T with all bits arriving 1 August :) I sat on three bikes, F800GS 820mm/850mm and A low 860mm seat GSA-T. The difference although 40mm didn't seem that much and am still touching both feet somewhere between balls and tip toes on it hence decided not to compromise and get what I really want. My confidence even increased after riding at off-road demo and level 1 courses on 1200GSs especially after seeing a girl with about 26" inseam!

@tomman - good choice and thanks for sharing with us. Are you planning on getting any side crash bars and which ones you'd choose?

BTW - I'm also considering getting Daytona + 6cm boots for street touring:
http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=801
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #120
philratton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Hey guys, just curious here.
What is this Captain Morgan you are talking about?
Doing the captain Morgan on stop signs?
Some light here please! Lol
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote