Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiekd
Some great pictures of one of the best kept secrets in the south. I've traveled many of the same roads and crossed the same streams and never get tired of them. So many roads there if you just use the gps and get off the main roads. However some dead end into gas well areas now when they used to continue. Excellent report.

Thanks! I fully intend to spend many of my vacation days and weekends here. I now know how much potential there is in the Ozark and Ouachita National Forests!!!

I am by no standards a tree hugger but I don't care for chemical companies taking over areas originally reserved for their natural beauty!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Continuing further down the road, I find that highway 103 which Garmin indicates as dirt is in-fact paved and has been for quite a long time!!

I come upon a small road bordering Highway 103. Note the road my marker is on (Carroll 916 rd) Is marked as paved on Garmin while HWY 103 is marked as dirt. Carroll is a good and fun road!

Then… I got hung up and had to abandon my route. CR-19 is an awesome road but I had to turn around at this stop (note coordinates on this shot).

This is why I turned around… I usually ride with the mentality of “can I get back up this if I need to?” instead of the “can I bounce over this?” mentality. I saw the line and knew I could bounce down this but I was not sure about coming back up. I turned around because I new I had a long way to go to the end of this CR-19 road and it was getting close to sunset… This is another place I would have liked another person for encouragement and a helping hand if needed.

Down…

Further down…

Looking back up…

EnderTheX screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 04:58 PM
Old 11-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #18
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Later I was at the gas station in Ozark AR (not to be confused with Oark AR) and I was looking for a place to stay the night.

For a few reasons I decided to tough it out and ride home. It was over 300 miles to Dallas on the “Fastest Route” according to Garmin. It was already past 6PM and I was looking at an arrival time or 11PM. I knew the storms would be coming tomorrow and since the rest of the trip would consist of purely me trying to get back to Dallas I decided to just try for it tonight.

I took the interstate for two reasons: speed and deer. I maintained 70mph the whole way and hoped the traffic around me would sweep the deer off the road.

There is nothing more hypnotizing that watching your “Distance Destination” miles tick down from 300 to 0 over 5 hours… Even though I had some music in my ear phones (reserved for long slab trips) I thought of many things… Anyone who has turned hundreds of slab miles in the dark knows how crazy your thoughts can wander… At some point a huge blood stain covered the highway and a mangled carcass of what I can only guess to be a deer lay on the side of the road, after that I felt safer tailgating 70mph cars.

This is the results from day 2, lots of dirt in there, I am very happy with AR!! I will be back again!! (And no I did not drive around the block to get it to 600 miles that is exactly how it panned out lol)

Old 11-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036

Dude... You could wheelie the 800 up that hill one handed..

Next time you ride up.. we will have a welcoming commitee... with plenty of encouragers so you can boldly go where there is more to see.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #20
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Since I was worried about my tires I checked on them this morning to make sure I wasn’t showing any cord. Or course this is way too late from last night when my life depended on it but I have no justification for not checking on them when it matters, I was wired and concentrating on 70mph. In 300 miles the only time I stepped off my bike was to get gas ONCE until I was home… and only a few times did I put a foot down at red lights that lasted too long.

Close up on the tire, completely destroyed with only 2k miles on it… I need something that can handle in the dirt, pavement etc as well as this and last 3x longer!!! Dream on lol!

THANK YOU! To all the people from AR who helped me out with route planning and support throughout the weekend ride!

-Ender
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #21
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel

Dude... You could wheelie the 800 up that hill one handed..

Next time you ride up.. we will have a welcoming commitee... with plenty of encouragers so you can boldly go where there is more to see.
Haha, very true! There is so much more to see in AR, I have high hopes for riding there again very soon (Maybe Christmas?...). Unfortunately I am not 18 anymore and kind of out of shape so I have a high sense of self preservation (and that hill is definitely the least of my worries, it is just the only hill I could get the F8 in the shot lol). As soon as I get one of you FF and/or my buddy Chris (child on this site) to go with me I will be bouncing down that road like there is no tomorrow).

BTW, thanks a bunch for the lunch recomendation at Oark, it was awesome!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Unfortunately I am not 18 anymore and kind of out of shape so snip...

We also have lots of great MTB trails to work out some of that cubical fat if you are into that sort of stuff... :)

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #23
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Great photos and report.

Which camera did you use, and where did you carry it? How did you like the Giant loop?
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #24
mr_ed
Toolbag

Oddometer: 148

Close up on the tire, completely destroyed with only 2k miles on it… I need something that can handle in the dirt, pavement etc as well as this and last 3x longer!!! Dream on lol!

Great trip! Looks like fun, and man I really like the looks of those 800s!!

Have a look at Heidenau K60s. I used them on my Wee cross country and back this past summer. They handle great off road (IMHO I definitly don't have the off road experience most folks on here do, but I try ) I have put close to 8000 miles on mine, mostly highway with mud and rock thrown in, and I'm only now getting serious about changing my rear tire!

Cheers,

Ed
Old 11-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #25
mr_ed
Toolbag

Oddometer: 148
Heidenau K60 tires

Here's a thread about these tires...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443958
Old 11-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #26
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
We also have lots of great MTB trails to work out some of that cubical fat if you are into that sort of stuff... :)

I seriously need to move closer to AR... There are MTB trails here but they are mediocre at best compared to the mountains. I think I am trying to justify myself sitting in-front of my computer instead of going out and exercising (riding my F8 kinda counts but not much).
Old 11-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #27
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasliah
Which camera did you use, and where did you carry it? How did you like the Giant loop?
Hi Dmasliah! I especially bought my camera for dual sport riding and I've thought about this for a while so thanks for asking .

My camera is the Canon PowerShot D10 (waterproof to 33 ft, shockproof, freeze proof, and dust proof). I love the camera, it is easily operated with gloves and very versatile.

The great thing about it is you don't have to wait for the lens to pop out and get ready to shoot. The rugged body makes for great dual sporting and I don't have to worry about it. I carry it naked in my tank bag for easy access and there is no need to bag it etc.

The Canon PowerShot D10 is a 12 mega-pixel camera with lots of cool settings. I am glad I got this for my trips!!!

By the way, if you would like to see my other ride report with this camera click below, I am proud of the pictures I took ! The best part was that I had a 16gb card in the camera (32gb is the max but they don't make a 32gb micro SD card yet) and I had two extra batteries. I never got close to filling the card and I used only ONE battery for the entire 9 day trip, over 550 pictures and some video!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517014

Thanks!!!

Oh yeah, and about the Giant Loop Great Basin Bag, I LOVE IT! I used it on the previous trip (see link above) and this trip. It holds a ton of stuff, easy to pack, easy to use and easy to mount a dry duffel behind it (shown in my pictures).

These guys really have thought out their bags and if you read my previous ride there is a moment where I can say my safety was in their hands, if I had hard panniers when I went down in the deep sand in the river bed I may not have rode out of there...

The only complaint is I can't access the interior of the bag without some un-clasping and un-zippering, this usually only takes a minute but sometimes I hesitate to reach in there for that reason. I can't fault them for this since it truely is waterproof and super durable. I spent many minutes (maybe hours) thinking of ways to improve this during my highways miles but other than exterior pockets I was at a loss to beat thier cool zipper design!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #28
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_ed
Here's a thread about these tires...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443958
Thanks, I will be looking into this after I burn through the next set of Karoo Ts I have in my garage! or maybe I will ride the SV until the K 60s get here lol.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #29
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
I enjoyed your pictures, thanks for sharing.

The creek you turned around at, without knowing exactly, IF it was on 1410 it was the Buffalo River. Two creeks join a 100 to 150 yards upstream to form the Buffalo.

I've got the complete road inventory of the Ozark National Forest so I knew it wasn't a closed or dead end crap shoot. If you ever seen the comments on the roads the rangers add its almost comical. Stuff that impossible in a 2 wheel drive pickup, they mark as Pickup, high clearance passable. There is very few that say 4x4 but when you do. you know its going to be one hell of a ride and straight up or down at some point.

Glad you enjoyed my tracks.
maybe next time I can get away to ride with ya.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #30
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Good stuff... making me really want to check out that Nat'l Forrest. Looks like you're using your F800GS exactly the way God intended :)
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote