Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #31
ObdewlaX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
My BMW F800GS and I in the National Forests of Arkansas... I will be back!

Great ride report! Gonna have to get me a dual sport one of these days!!

I was up in that same area back in mid-October but one the K12S... no dirt, just plenty of those sweet twisties up in the Ozarks. We stayed in Jasper and rode out and back about 200 miles every day. Had that same burger for lunch at the Oark Cafe... LOTS of food to eat but a great burger for sure!!! Don't pass up the pie next trip either!!
ObdewlaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #32
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
I enjoyed your pictures, thanks for sharing.

The creek you turned around at, without knowing exactly, IF it was on 1410 it was the Buffalo River. Two creeks join a 100 to 150 yards upstream to form the Buffalo.

I've got the complete road inventory of the Ozark National Forest so I knew it wasn't a closed or dead end crap shoot. If you ever seen the comments on the roads the rangers add its almost comical. Stuff that impossible in a 2 wheel drive pickup, they mark as Pickup, high clearance passable. There is very few that say 4x4 but when you do. you know its going to be one hell of a ride and straight up or down at some point.

Glad you enjoyed my tracks.
maybe next time I can get away to ride with ya.

Thanks for the tracks Catfish! I still have more to explore along with the other peep's suggestions. Lets get some people together to ride next time and do some of the stuff I was chicken on solo lol. Count me out on the "strait up stuff" but strait down I may tackle lol.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #33
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,623
Thanks for sharing your trip. I just got back from Tyler, TX, by way of HWY155 (Gilmer). Have you ever ridden near the ORV park or Lake of The Pines on HWY155? That area seems like a great place to explore with a GS, a GPS and lotsa gas.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #34
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObdewlaX
Great ride report! Gonna have to get me a dual sport one of these days!!

I was up in that same area back in mid-October but one the K12S... no dirt, just plenty of those sweet twisties up in the Ozarks. We stayed in Jasper and rode out and back about 200 miles every day. Had that same burger for lunch at the Oark Cafe... LOTS of food to eat but a great burger for sure!!! Don't pass up the pie next trip either!!

Ooooo.... pie.... Man I usually am not into the whole sweets thing but while riding anything goes and pie is high on the list. Now I definitely have to get back soon!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
Burbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
That's a great ride report. If you get ready to go again, I'll fire up the 1150 and follow you. We could attack the river crossing.
Burbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #36
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,093
That is a beautiful lookin' machine and some sublime backroads that you get to play with. Very nice all the way round.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #37
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Hi Dmasliah! I especially bought my camera for dual sport riding and I've thought about this for a while so thanks for asking .

My camera is the Canon PowerShot D10 (waterproof to 33 ft, shockproof, freeze proof, and dust proof). I love the camera, it is easily operated with gloves and very versatile.

The great thing about it is you don't have to wait for the lens to pop out and get ready to shoot. The rugged body makes for great dual sporting and I don't have to worry about it. I carry it naked in my tank bag for easy access and there is no need to bag it etc.

The Canon PowerShot D10 is a 12 mega-pixel camera with lots of cool settings. I am glad I got this for my trips!!!

By the way, if you would like to see my other ride report with this camera click below, I am proud of the pictures I took ! The best part was that I had a 16gb card in the camera (32gb is the max but they don't make a 32gb micro SD card yet) and I had two extra batteries. I never got close to filling the card and I used only ONE battery for the entire 9 day trip, over 550 pictures and some video!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517014

Thanks!!!

Oh yeah, and about the Giant Loop Great Basin Bag, I LOVE IT! I used it on the previous trip (see link above) and this trip. It holds a ton of stuff, easy to pack, easy to use and easy to mount a dry duffel behind it (shown in my pictures).

These guys really have thought out their bags and if you read my previous ride there is a moment where I can say my safety was in their hands, if I had hard panniers when I went down in the deep sand in the river bed I may not have rode out of there...

The only complaint is I can't access the interior of the bag without some un-clasping and un-zippering, this usually only takes a minute but sometimes I hesitate to reach in there for that reason. I can't fault them for this since it truely is waterproof and super durable. I spent many minutes (maybe hours) thinking of ways to improve this during my highways miles but other than exterior pockets I was at a loss to beat thier cool zipper design!
Thanks, I've been trucking around a d700 with a 24-70 lens in a hard case. Great camera and lens, but to be honest, your shots are just as sharp.
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #38
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbo
That's a great ride report. If you get ready to go again, I'll fire up the 1150 and follow you. We could attack the river crossing.
Thanks Burbo! Lets do it next time. I am a lot more brave when there is someone around to yell and whoop while I grab a handful of throttle up a tricky section. Having someone around to help you pick up the bike and point it in the right direction doesn't hurt either
Old 11-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #39
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,741
Great little report, Ender

I've ridden some of the same areas.

I'm curious about the cot you mentioned.

Got a pic or the name I can google??

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #40
DIRT MAN
Tracker

Oddometer: 64
Great ride report
DIRT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #41
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Great little report, Ender

I've ridden some of the same areas.

I'm curious about the cot you mentioned.

Got a pic or the name I can google??
Hi John!! I am kind of embarrassed that I don't have one of my own pictures of the cot I am using. A fellow ADVer turned me onto it when we went riding before this trip. I really enjoy it, it works well for me and is tons better than sleeping on the floor. The first time I used it was on sharp rough gravel and the supports kind of wore tiny holes in the bottom of my tent and the tarp because of the sharp gavel but I am not going to patch them or discontinue use of the tent, the tarp keeps any moisture off the ground and nothing short of a flood would cause me to notice these things.

A link to the cot site is below, I will say it is easy to assemble and dissasemble, it may cause holes in your tent if there are sharp stuff below because of the high pressure on the "feet". A couple edges of the fabric are begining to show wear after a few times use but I don't think this will be a problem... http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html I am using the Ultralight Cot

Oh yeah, one thing about it is I have to assemble and insert/remove it from my tent before I install the tent poles so the loose tent can fit over it. If the tent is taught I can't put it inside and you kind of have to be standing on it to assemble it, see online videos of the cot in assembly mode.

Regards
Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 AM   #42
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,354
Thanks for a great ride report and great pictures. Alway enjoy Arkansas stuff! I was once told by a hunter that he was glad I had a quite bike ('95 R11GSa) as noisy ones attract undue attention from some hunters in the back country. ;-)...
I've always told friends that if you start doing the great back gravel roads of Arkansas, along with the fantastic paved ones, you can never do them all in your life time. Seems I fine new ones every trip.
Always amazed at how the Oark Store has developed in the last 15 years. What a success story.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #43
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Looks like an awesome ride ender! I can't believe you turned around at that "hill", self preservation is over rated! I hope my voice was echoing in your head, "ender, use the throttle, trust the throttle...". Turning around at deep water crossings in winter, is 100% OK in my book, I'm a HUGE wuss when it comes to being cold, but little hills, no way! You've done 10x trickier hills out at rocky ridge! Oh well, I guess better safe than sorry :P

Awesome ride report though, I am jealous once again. I finally got my garage clean enough to bring my bike down from my parents, so the KTM is happily home once again. Hopefully I can tag along on the next trip and push you down some of these hills :P

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures!
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #44
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Great RR.........

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #45
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,043
Thanks for the Ride Report and the reminder...

Nice bike by the way. It's a great machine, and it will do more than you think it can.
Get some real knobbies on that thing and have a great time.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote