Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #46
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Looks like an awesome ride ender! I can't believe you turned around at that "hill", self preservation is over rated! I hope my voice was echoing in your head, "ender, use the throttle, trust the throttle...". Turning around at deep water crossings in winter, is 100% OK in my book, I'm a HUGE wuss when it comes to being cold, but little hills, no way! You've done 10x trickier hills out at rocky ridge! Oh well, I guess better safe than sorry :P

Awesome ride report though, I am jealous once again. I finally got my garage clean enough to bring my bike down from my parents, so the KTM is happily home once again. Hopefully I can tag along on the next trip and push you down some of these hills :P

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures!
Haha well next time I know where the tough stuff is so I know where to start when I have a riding buddy. We will be doing the water crossings though! Let's plan on something maybe over the christmad vacation!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #47
Red Leader
It's The Wide Open Spaces

Oddometer: 51
Ender,
I went up to white mountain area three weeks ago to check it out and took a similar route up and back. I just did two days and rode only a small amount of dirt as I was solo on the R1200. Did not get as far north as you did but would like to next time. If you and child decide to go over christmas and don't mind 3rd, I'd be game.
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #48
ADVHawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
It was good to meet you at Oark Ender. If you come up this way again, drop me an email and I'll try and tag along. Glad you made it back home safe and take care.

Michael
Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #49
fdoctor
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great report! thanks for sharing, also great pictures! Greetings from Costa Rica
fdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #50
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
Nice report. You really burned up the miles. Looks like you entered the forest on the Oklahoma side just south of me. My house is on Wister lake. I'm guessing you came in through Talihina.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #51
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader
Ender,
I went up to white mountain area three weeks ago to check it out and took a similar route up and back. I just did two days and rode only a small amount of dirt as I was solo on the R1200. Did not get as far north as you did but would like to next time. If you and child decide to go over christmas and don't mind 3rd, I'd be game.
Sure thing RedLeader! I know with that 12gs you have you can match anything I want to tackle out there! Sorry I didn't call you on this last trip, it was really unplanned and I was stretching myself thin. We should do more riding around here too! I may be out on Sunday for a long ride south of the metroplex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVHawg
It was good to meet you at Oark Ender. If you come up this way again, drop me an email and I'll try and tag along. Glad you made it back home safe and take care.

Michael
Hey Michael! Great meeting you too, I am really jealous that you get to live in that area! With that awesome 990 adventure of yours I bet you get to blaze through a lot of those trails. Next time I am up there I will send you a PM (and to the guys I met on the regional forum), as you saw by my report I am not afraid to put on the miles and pull longs days too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdoctor
Great report! thanks for sharing, also great pictures! Greetings from Costa Rica
Thanks man! I love Costa Rica, I was there a few years ago to explore some of the rain forest (highly recommended to anyone). I really want to go back on a bike I am comfortable in the mud with lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT
Nice report. You really burned up the miles. Looks like you entered the forest on the Oklahoma side just south of me. My house is on Wister lake. I'm guessing you came in through Talihina.
Yeah I like the Talimena area! I was surprised at the cool dirt roads right there. This area is really close to where I am and I intend to spend more time in the Ouachita National Forest and explore the area since it is easier to get to from Dallas!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #52
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
I really need to work on my gps skills. If you come down I can show you dirt for as many miles as you want to go. My Grandfather worked in the WPA projects back in the 30's 40's. And used to take me hunting on mules on some of the old trails. You would be amazed at some of the shit built by the WPA and captured German POW's down here. Kinda like this.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #53
dallas99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
That was an awesome RR. Thanks for sharing! I have been researching a trip to the Ozarks, and this is so far the best RR I have found. I did a part of the TAT last year with a couple of friends. We are looking for some long weekend trips this year before going on another long trip.

When did you pick up your first dirt roads? We want to trailer up and ride for 2-3 days in the area you were.

Again, great RR and thanks!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505485
Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #54
bmwles
BMW Les

Oddometer: 7
Oh Man of man.......

What I would give to be on this ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
That night it was very calm with no wind so I managed to keep way relatively well. Even with my fancy ultra-light cot in my tent I had relatively restless night in the test and it got really cold towards the morning but nothing a pair of thermals and my sleeping bag couldn’t handle!

The morning:

This place was awesome… not many people here during the off season. I am at Cove Lake Campground in the southern Ozark National Forest.

A close up on my bike and my gear. Everything you see on the ground I had in my test to keep from getting wet during the morning dew. The Giant Loop Great Basin bag does well outside and I don’t have to worry about anything inside getting wet.

I was worried about my tires for the rest of the trip. They were already worn really low and I had at least 600 miles to put on them. These are the Metzler Karoo Ts which do really well on all surfaces especially dirt but wear FAST (~1k miles on these). Or maybe I just ride like a bat out of hell….

bmwles is offline   Reply With Quote