ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #1516
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone
 
T O Double D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskmarney View Post
By the way, I often describe my KTM 950 as a "graceful beast"; this description, however, does not apply to the aging, docile cat on the steps.
Welcome! I think you picked a winner going with the KTM, they're very addicting once you've twisted the throttle...

Scott, that trip looked like fun and I'm glad it was good news you got! I'll bet the combo of you killer camp site and bottle of Knob Creek (At least that's what it looks like to me) helped relax your mind. As soon as I get my new 640 sorted, the seat is at Renazco as we speak, I'm gonna do a little ride like that. This weather is killing me without a bike!

How are you liking the Wolfman compared to the Dirt Bagz you used to have?


Cheers!


Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #1517
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
Welcome! I think you picked a winner going with the KTM, they're very addicting once you've twisted the throttle...

Scott, that trip looked like fun and I'm glad it was good news you got! I'll bet the combo of you killer camp site and bottle of Knob Creek (At least that's what it looks like to me) helped relax your mind. As soon as I get my new 640 sorted, the seat is at Renazco as we speak, I'm gonna do a little ride like that. This weather is killing me without a bike!

How are you liking the Wolfman compared to the Dirt Bagz you used to have?


Cheers!


Cheers!
Hey Todd- ever hear anything about your SE? And what'd you get to replace it, a 640 adventure or enduro?
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #1518
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskmarney View Post
By the way, I often describe my KTM 950 as a "graceful beast"; this description, however, does not apply to the aging, docile cat on the steps.
Hey! I like the little cat! Welcome to the Bay Area thread and congrats on the new bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Sorry for no advance notice but Friday started off with a much dreaded
trip up to Stanford Medical Center. The news I got was good. Way, way
better than what my local doc was telling me. I came home stoked
and decided to just take off and spend some time defusing.

_
Nice ride, Scott! So glad to hear the medical news was good...that's really the most important thing when you get right down to the brass tacks, isn't it?

I really like Limekiln. We camped there once and saw huge schools of what could have only been dolphins frolicking in the cove there. We also saw a whale through the binoculars, too! The walk to the waterfall just pretty much sealed the deal...best campsite on the coast! Glad you had a good time.




WoodsChick
__________________
"Coffee first..."

______________________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, WMA, USA-ALL
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #1519
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
Welcome! I think you picked a winner going with the KTM, they're very addicting once you've twisted the throttle...

Scott, that trip looked like fun and I'm glad it was good news you got! I'll bet the combo of you killer camp site and bottle of Knob Creek (At least that's what it looks like to me) helped relax your mind. As soon as I get my new 640 sorted, the seat is at Renazco as we speak, I'm gonna do a little ride like that. This weather is killing me without a bike!

How are you liking the Wolfman compared to the Dirt Bagz you used to have?


Cheers!


Cheers!

I really like the wolfman bags Todd. Really easy to pop on and off
once they're adjusted. Tougher than the dirtbagz, the racks are way
beefier.

I discovered another great feature this weekend. Took some frozen
meat and perishables down with me to BBQ. Set up camp in the morning,
dropped off the bags and emptied one out. Rode up to Lucia and bought
a bag of ice. Threw the meat, perishables, a few beers in one bag, added
the ice...

Instant cooler!!!!
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #1520
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
As soon as I get my new 640 sorted, the seat is at Renazco as we speak...
How did you get a seat in to Renazco without the 4-6 month wait?
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #1521
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Hey! I like the little cat! Welcome to the Bay Area thread and congrats on the new bike



Nice ride, Scott! So glad to hear the medical news was good...that's really the most important thing when you get right down to the brass tacks, isn't it?

I really like Limekiln. We camped there once and saw huge schools of what could have only been dolphins frolicking in the cove there. We also saw a whale through the binoculars, too! The walk to the waterfall just pretty much sealed the deal...best campsite on the coast! Glad you had a good time.




WoodsChick
Limekiln is great. I drove down there once in the early 90's in late winter
early spring. HWY1 was closed just north of Limekiln from a huge slide
so I went in via Nacamiento/Fergeson rd.

I camped at Limekiln on a Friday night and the host put me up in the far,
far back site up in the redwoods. I was the only person in the entire
campground. I was putting some gear away in my truck after dark
and my flashlight caught a flash of something on the canyon bank
above my campsite.

Shined the light up and there wa a Bobcat about 20' above me sitting
on a ledge watching me.

The Scary Tree





The Limekilns






scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #1522
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
How did you get a seat in to Renazco without the 4-6 month wait?

Great question...

I just had my Honda Seat done last month and waited 4 months...
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #1523
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone
 
T O Double D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Hey Todd- ever hear anything about your SE? And what'd you get to replace it, a 640 adventure or enduro?
Never heard anything about my SE, which is probably a good thing all in all. I got about 3 grand more out of insurance than if I'd sold it. I found a very clean 640 Adventure. Tom from Moore and Son's came with me to look at it and without even hearing it start he said he'd buy it on the spot if I didn't. I think it will suit my riding style beter than the 950, but damn I miss that smooth running, shit eating grin inducing LC8 engine!


Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
How did you get a seat in to Renazco without the 4-6 month wait?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Great question...

I just had my Honda Seat done last month and waited 4 months...
Come on guys, do you even have to ask... When you're as damn good looking as me you never have to wait in line...

...Of course it might've had something to do with my SE being stolen just after putting a Renazco on it. James had a cancellation, so he said he could get me in early.
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #1524
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
. James had a cancellation, so he said he could get me in early.
Nice !!
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #1525
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
Never heard anything about my SE, which is probably a good thing all in all. I got about 3 grand more out of insurance than if I'd sold it. I found a very clean 640 Adventure. Tom from Moore and Son's came with me to look at it and without even hearing it start he said he'd buy it on the spot if I didn't. I think it will suit my riding style beter than the 950, but damn I miss that smooth running, shit eating grin inducing LC8 engine!

Awesome. I think a 640 will suit your dirt rides better, and the adventure is just such a cool bike. . . . 300 mile range anyone? You can always put on a FCR if you need a bit more power, too.

I love the engine on my 640. And then I get back on the 950 for a ride around the hills- I still can't believe that engine is street legal.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #1526
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post


Come on guys, do you even have to ask... When you're as damn good looking as me you never have to wait in line...

...Of course it might've had something to do with my SE being stolen just after putting a Renazco on it. James had a cancellation, so he said he could get me in early.
James is pretty ool like that.
__________________
Speed bumps never seem to make me go any faster
Qwik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #1527
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer
 
50X50's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Santa Cruz USA
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
James is pretty ool like that.
Maybe ToDD can use his good looks to get me a seat QWIK...ly !?
__________________
Jeff
50 States Ridden

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:16 AM   #1528
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!
 
mongox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Gilroy,ca
Oddometer: 2,481
I was out at Hollistor Hills Saturday, where was everyone, the place was empty. I had 20 miles of single track in at the Renz before i saw the first other rider out there, spectacular day.
__________________
"First, God made idiots" Mark Twain

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #1529
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman
 
HardWorkingDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Walnut Crick, Cal.
Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
I was out at Hollistor Hills Saturday, where was everyone, the place was empty. I had 20 miles of single track in at the Renz before i saw the first other rider out there, spectacular day.
Cool! I was out there about 2 weeks ago, and the Renz section was closed--too wet still. Know if it's still open after the weekend's rain?
__________________
"Coffee first..."

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...


"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #1530
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,089
Cain and I did the High Desert 250 this weekend.. here are some random pics in no order because they were taken from 2 different cameras

260 miles
230 offroad
30 onroad.

it was a perfect weekend. No Rain
























more pics here
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/atallfunguy/high%20desert%20250%20with%20cain%202011/?albumview=slideshow
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014