ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #1531
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Cain and I did the High Desert 250 this weekend..
Looks like a cool ride. Is that monument for the guy that burrowed through something something something? Saw a documentary about him a while ago. Pretty crazy. Where is that?

Oh, and what kind/size front tire is on that DRZ? How's it handle?
jesusgatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #1532
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,520
It rained over an inch at my place in Gilroy Sat. night, so my guess is that it will be closed at least through mid week and possibly next weekend. The single track trails were in excellent shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Cool! I was out there about 2 weeks ago, and the Renz section was closed--too wet still. Know if it's still open after the weekend's rain?

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #1533
Eric B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Great stuff, Paul. Looks like some fun riding. I'm bummed I had to miss it.
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #1534
1stgear
1 down 5 up

Oddometer: 29
We ended up going to Pismo with the Jeep. Had a blast. We were asking ourselves why we don't go down there more often, it's so close (3 hours from Bay Area).
Attached Images

1stgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #1535
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Looks like a cool ride. Is that monument for the guy that burrowed through something something something? Saw a documentary about him a while ago. Pretty crazy. Where is that?

Oh, and what kind/size front tire is on that DRZ? How's it handle?
http://www.burroschmidttunnel.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burro_Schmidt_Tunnel

cain does really well on the drz. the bike can be hard to turn but handles the soft sand really well..

I will let him chim in if he wants to add any more.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #1536
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Cain and I did the High Desert 250 this weekend.. here are some random pics in no order because they were taken from 2 different cameras

260 miles
230 offroad
30 onroad.

it was a perfect weekend. No Rain

more pics here
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/atallfunguy/high%20desert%20250%20with%20cain%202011/?albumview=slideshow

nice pics paul....

lots of dirt and beautiful weather.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #1537
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
We ended up going to Pismo with the Jeep. Had a blast. We were asking ourselves why we don't go down there more often, it's so close (3 hours from Bay Area).
ROAD TRIP! Seriously man, we need to put together another ride soon. I haven't been on my 525 since the last time we rode together... just about a year now. I wonder if it still works!?

Quote:

cain does really well on the drz. the bike can be hard to turn but handles the soft sand really well..

I will let him chim in if he wants to add any more.
I rode Dave's Husky SM with racing slicks on it. They do amazing in sand. The bike just floats! You didn't even need to put the kick stand down when you stopped.
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #1538
mweitz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Nice pics Paul.

This was my second "dual sport" ride, the first being the SheetIron last May.

Here are a couple of quick vids from our day. Not sure how to embed youtube here ...

Julie Step Down - Oops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8_IdCmYHgo

Mark Step Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHcQ7KpFVk

Little Climb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMc4pibHMjc

Couple of guys we let pass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UI8ZBqDnj0
mweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #1539
Johnfrmcal
Dual Sport Doer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweitz View Post
Nice pics Paul.

Here are a couple of quick vids from our day. Not sure how to embed youtube here ...

Julie Step Down - Oops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8_IdCmYHgo

Mark Step Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHcQ7KpFVk

Little Climb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMc4pibHMjc

Couple of guys we let pass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UI8ZBqDnj0
Cool vids Mark, nice meeting you guys. Julie is such a trooper, my GF would never ever attempt that stuff nor would she take crashing in such stride.

Funny how the slope of the hill climbs never shows up on camera. On that last vid of the hill climb, I screwed up and didn't have the second easy detour "turned on" on my GPS so I accidentally took one of the guys on that loop...I didn't think it was that bad but man I think he was really pissed at me!
Johnfrmcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #1540
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
nice pics paul....

lots of dirt and beautiful weather.
Ditto! Can't ask for much more than that

Thanks for posting them up!

WC

Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #1541
mweitz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ouch on the nav. . I hope that was the other John you were with.

There was a couple of guys sitting up there when we got there. One of them came back down to make another run at it and advised us to take the line up the left side. After everyone cleared I went up and walked back down and yelled down to Julie that it was easy. She got about half way up and I could hear her yelling back at me "It is NOT EASY". She made it up that though.

She is a trooper. She has done show horse jumping or somthing like that since she was a little girl, so bumps and bruises are normal in her world. She had very few drops considering we did the hard splits and it was our first time riding in the desert.

A lot of people sort of make fun of Hollister Hills, but there is a lot of varied terrain there and it can really get you prepped for a ride like this if you put the time in like she has.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfrmcal View Post
Cool vids Mark, nice meeting you guys. Julie is such a trooper, my GF would never ever attempt that stuff nor would she take crashing in such stride.

Funny how the slope of the hill climbs never shows up on camera. On that last vid of the hill climb, I screwed up and didn't have the second easy detour "turned on" on my GPS so I accidentally took one of the guys on that loop...I didn't think it was that bad but man I think he was really pissed at me!
Julie on her "Little Honda That Could"
Attached Images

mweitz screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 06:43 AM
mweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #1542
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Glad to hear you got a smaller adv bike.
His 640 Adventure is smaller only in engine displacement. Those suckers are TALL.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #1543
Johnfrmcal
Dual Sport Doer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Ouch on the nav. . I hope that was the other John you were with.
It was. I don't think he was "feelin' it" on Sunday, so he was a bit frustrated. I felt bad. I actually blew both easy splits. Greg bailed and rode back on his own. John followed me and was pissed. I think he wasn't feeling well and was getting a bit of a cold or something. I felt really bad, but was actually quite enjoying the hard splits.

That'll teach 'em to let an Asian guy navigate....

P.S. John or Greg, if you're reading this, my apologies again!

Johnfrmcal screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 11:47 AM
Johnfrmcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #1544
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
She is a trooper. She has done show horse jumping or somthing like that since she was a little girl, so bumps and bruises are normal in her world. She had very few drops considering we did the hard splits and it was our first time riding in the desert.

A lot of people sort of make fun of Hollister Hills, but there is a lot of varied terrain there and it can really get you prepped for a ride like this if you put the time in like she has.

Mark

Julie on her "Little Honda That Could"
Nice photo of Julie! Love the look in her eyes

WC

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #1545
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Oh man, that's just wrong. I've been looking for someone to ride "the woods ranch" with me, lemme know if you are game. Glad to hear you got a smaller adv bike. I'm curiouis about those, I either need to use the 650R more or get something more suited to long rides.

The Jeep is probably just as good as a GS. Better in some situations. I don't see Any ADV riders who can ride down to pismo and ride the dunes. Big heavy bikes suck in the sand! Even smaller bikes suck without knobbies in sand.

This year I plan to wear out the 650R, sell it and the FZ1 and get maybe the Triumph 800 or something similiar. I'm bored with the 525 as well. Not sure there's anything better though...
Pretty much the only reason I don't have a 650 R is the lack of an e start. Shit, Tom from Moore and Sons just bought one while he looks for a good 640.

As for the GS, they're cool for what I bought it for, 2-up to Alaska, but I realized that kind of trip would just bore me.

Have you ridden a 950 with the S suspension? They're absolutly bad ass in the dirt. Sure they aren't dirt bikes, but I've passed 450s in the whoops on my 950 and going through sand isn't that bad on the big KTM. You really need to ride one before getting a T800. I think you'd be very disappointed in either the BMW or Triumph's shitty suspension, or for that matter the standard KTM Adventure. Maybe a 690...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
His 640 Adventure is smaller only in engine displacement. Those suckers are TALL.
I have short legs, 30" inseam, and the 640 feels perfect to me. I guess I just got used to the SE with it's tall and wide seat. When I sent my seat off to Renazco I almost had them add height to it. I ended up going stock height though. Oh and beleive me, it feels MUCH lighter than my SE! I can't wait to get to Baja with that bike!!!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote