ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #1546
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweitz View Post
She is a trooper. She has done show horse jumping or somthing like that since she was a little girl, so bumps and bruises are normal in her world. She had very few drops considering we did the hard splits and it was our first time riding in the desert.

A lot of people sort of make fun of Hollister Hills, but there is a lot of varied terrain there and it can really get you prepped for a ride like this if you put the time in like she has.

Mark

Julie on her "Little Honda That Could"
Nice photo of Julie! Love the look in her eyes

WC

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #1547
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
Oh man, that's just wrong. I've been looking for someone to ride "the woods ranch" with me, lemme know if you are game. Glad to hear you got a smaller adv bike. I'm curiouis about those, I either need to use the 650R more or get something more suited to long rides.

The Jeep is probably just as good as a GS. Better in some situations. I don't see Any ADV riders who can ride down to pismo and ride the dunes. Big heavy bikes suck in the sand! Even smaller bikes suck without knobbies in sand.

This year I plan to wear out the 650R, sell it and the FZ1 and get maybe the Triumph 800 or something similiar. I'm bored with the 525 as well. Not sure there's anything better though...
Pretty much the only reason I don't have a 650 R is the lack of an e start. Shit, Tom from Moore and Sons just bought one while he looks for a good 640.

As for the GS, they're cool for what I bought it for, 2-up to Alaska, but I realized that kind of trip would just bore me.

Have you ridden a 950 with the S suspension? They're absolutly bad ass in the dirt. Sure they aren't dirt bikes, but I've passed 450s in the whoops on my 950 and going through sand isn't that bad on the big KTM. You really need to ride one before getting a T800. I think you'd be very disappointed in either the BMW or Triumph's shitty suspension, or for that matter the standard KTM Adventure. Maybe a 690...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
His 640 Adventure is smaller only in engine displacement. Those suckers are TALL.
I have short legs, 30" inseam, and the 640 feels perfect to me. I guess I just got used to the SE with it's tall and wide seat. When I sent my seat off to Renazco I almost had them add height to it. I ended up going stock height though. Oh and beleive me, it feels MUCH lighter than my SE! I can't wait to get to Baja with that bike!!!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #1548
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
I'd throw a vote in for the 690 -- it will do almost anything the Triumph will do on the road, except break 100mph (for very long), has optional luggage racks, and is very capable off-road.

Great pix!

My best friend from ye olde roadracing days -- his sister was a horse jumper. Their father was a personal injury attorney, and therefore totally biased against motorcycles. In 6 years of racing my buddy never had more than leather bite (think rug burn) but his sister had a horse throw her into a gate and had to have many tens of thousands of $$$ in reconstructive cosmetic surgery. Dad still hates motorcycles and thinks horses are great.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #1549
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Great stuff, Paul. Looks like some fun riding. I'm bummed I had to miss it.
+1
I'm really bummed too.
I'm riding mostly by myself and I wish I had the opportunity to ride with people as passionate as you guys.
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #1550
1stgear
1 down 5 up

Oddometer: 42
Doh! Didn't realize you had a GS. As soon as I typed that big bikes suck in the sand, I realized there would be 15 guys posting video's of them railing around Dakar style in the sand on their GS! OK, I admit it, the Jeep is SLOW. Tom got a 650R? Hrm, maybe I should have him help me trick out the Pig and keep it. But I need something more comfortable on the road, want to be able to carry it on the hitch hauler, unload and take the wife for a ride. So maybe the 690 is the best bet. Do they have passenger pegs? I think they weigh about 320, light enough for the hitch hauler and can cruise all day on the highway. Price though... what about 10k? Might be the ticket, get me excited about longer adv rides. Anybody want to buy my 650R if I sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
As for the GS, they're cool for what I bought it for, 2-up to Alaska, but I realized that kind of trip would just bore me.

Have you ridden a 950 with the S suspension? They're absolutly bad ass in the dirt. Sure they aren't dirt bikes, but I've passed 450s in the whoops on my 950 and going through sand isn't that bad on the big KTM. You really need to ride one before getting a T800. I think you'd be very disappointed in either the BMW or Triumph's shitty suspension, or for that matter the standard KTM Adventure. Maybe a 690...
1stgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #1551
ravine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Doh! Didn't realize you had a GS. As soon as I typed that big bikes suck in the sand, I realized there would be 15 guys posting video's of them railing around Dakar style in the sand on their GS! OK, I admit it, the Jeep is SLOW. Tom got a 650R? Hrm, maybe I should have him help me trick out the Pig and keep it. But I need something more comfortable on the road, want to be able to carry it on the hitch hauler, unload and take the wife for a ride. So maybe the 690 is the best bet. Do they have passenger pegs? I think they weigh about 320, light enough for the hitch hauler and can cruise all day on the highway. Price though... what about 10k? Might be the ticket, get me excited about longer adv rides. Anybody want to buy my 650R if I sell?
Get a 690. I love mine. It comes stock with passenger pegs. The missus and I have done a couple of hundred miles of 2 up riding. You'll just need to upgrade the subframe bolts. The stock ones shear - even without a passenger.

Add the $90 hardparts windscreen and you can cruise with the big bikes all day long.

This is from day 1 of a 3 day Tahoe adventure in September.

The next morning fellow me, inmate ciampa, and another friend on a DRZ did some woods riding in Tahoe that included some singletrack and some rocky sections. Ciampa was riding his baja ready crf-450.

Then on day 3 we found a little sand in the Nevada desert.

From what I understand, it's the lightest bike in the late model 650cc dualsport class. It gets 10 pounds lighter when you replace the stock pipe with a Leo Vince or Akra. It fits on a hitch hauler no problem.
ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #1552
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,105
Shears subframe bolts in normal use w/o a passenger?

I'll stick with my TE610.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #1553
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
I could definatly see you riding a 690. There's one of CL for $7,000...

Quote:
Shears subframe bolts in normal use w/o a passenger?

I'll stick with my TE610.
Which needed how much work done to it less than a month after you bought it? The sub frame is an easy fix and you'll still have far better suspension and more power than even the new Huskys. Not that there's anything wrong with Husky *glances at WoodsChick to make sure he's not offending her * but IMO the only reason to even consider a Husky is price. They make great bikes, but they don't have the performance or finish of a KTM.

As a side note so that nobody thinks I've got a massive Orange Crush, I feel that KTM missed a great opportunity with the 690 engine. While the 690 E is an awesome bike, it would require a fair amount of $ to do the type of rides I want it for. A 690 Adventure would've been awesome! I'd be the first in line for a purpose built 650cc Adventure bike, with good power, kick ass suspension, and in the 350lb range made by any manufacturer.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #1554
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Which needed how much work done to it less than a month after you bought it? The sub frame is an easy fix and you'll still have far better suspension and more power than even the new Huskys. Not that there's anything wrong with Husky *glances at WoodsChick to make sure he's not offending her * but IMO the only reason to even consider a Husky is price. They make great bikes, but they don't have the performance or finish of a KTM.
You're not offending me at all. But do note that MNB's 610 is, what...13 years old? (EDIT: Nope, only 8 years old; It's not a `98, it's an `03, but it was used when he got it.) I'm also willing to bet the parts it needed were nowhere near as expensive as the same parts would be for a KTM. Remember, there are 2 KTM's in my garage right now, with another sold sometime last year. We've gone through a lot of parts and wear items on lots of different brands over the years and KTM parts are consistently more expensive than the rest. Probably won't be buying another one because of it. And I'm also not surprised that the tried-and-true old-school "610" motor, which is really a 570, doesn't match up in performance with the modern "690" which is really a...what...654?

They're all good bikes. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It just comes down to where you want your compromise to be.

WoodsChick

WoodsChick screwed with this post 02-02-2011 at 06:23 PM Reason: Thought the 610 was older...d'oh!
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #1555
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Which needed how much work done to it less than a month after you bought it?
It was used. As if a used KTM has never had a failure? Shit happens.
Since Tom D. fixed her up, she's run like a top. Great little bike.

Quote:
The sub frame is an easy fix and you'll still have far better suspension and more power than even the new Huskys.
No, you'll have less suspension (1-3" less) and the same power with a TE630.

Marzocchi and Sachs make good components. WP may be good, but they're not THAT much better. It's not like the 690 comes with Ohlins forks and rear shock (which would add $3k to the cost).

Quote:
IMO the only reason to even consider a Husky is price. They make great bikes, but they don't have the performance or finish of a KTM.
Shearing off a subframe bolt under normal use isn't exactly great finish in my book. I don't care if it's an easy fix or not. Doesn't really matter when your tail end falls off and you're 100 miles from nowhere.

Here's how I see the comparison:

TE610 plus:
2" more suspension travel
subframe bolt doesn't shear off
came stock with tail rack (not sure if current models do)
.5" shorter wheelbase
costs less
isn't lemming orange

TE610 minus:
weighs 3lbs more (big whoop)
less ponies (roughly 53 vs 62)
old ones look like a Suzuki (kinda), new ones look like a Honda (kinda)

Most people would consider the Husky a reasonable competitor given the above. There are certainly valid reasons to choose a 690 anyways.... But I think the Husky compares well. I'm not sure why you don't. Other than that it isn't a KTM...

WoodsChick: Yes, it's an '03. 1 of only 49 that made it in the US due to a serious flood in the factory in Italy - does that make it a Collector's edition? It is technically a 100th Anniversary year bike, although only some other models were given Anniversary graphics. It had 2000 miles on it when I bought it.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #1556
ravine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:

No, you'll have less suspension (1-3" less) and the same power with a TE630.

Marzocchi and Sachs make good components. WP may be good, but they're not THAT much better. It's not like the 690 comes with Ohlins forks and rear shock (which would add $3k to the cost).

Shearing off a subframe bolt under normal use isn't exactly great finish in my book. I don't care if it's an easy fix or not. Doesn't really matter when your tail end falls off and you're 100 miles from nowhere.

Here's how I see the comparison:

TE610 plus:
2" more suspension travel
subframe bolt doesn't shear off
came stock with tail rack (not sure if current models do)
.5" shorter wheelbase
costs less
isn't lemming orange

TE610 minus:
weighs 3lbs more (big whoop)
less ponies (roughly 53 vs 62)
old ones look like a Suzuki (kinda), new ones look like a Honda (kinda)

Most people would consider the Husky a reasonable competitor given the above. There are certainly valid reasons to choose a 690 anyways.... But I think the Husky compares well. I'm not sure why you don't. Other than that it isn't a KTM...

WoodsChick: Yes, it's an '03. 1 of only 49 that made it in the US due to a serious flood in the factory in Italy - does that make it a Collector's edition? It is technically a 100th Anniversary year bike, although only some other models were given Anniversary graphics. It had 2000 miles on it when I bought it.
Oh goody, I instigated a Husky vs KTM religous war

I love the 690 for what I use it for. It certainlly has its pros and cons. There is no perfect bike. I've owned and/or ridden 30+ bikes in the past 40 years. I know what I'm getting myself into when I buy a KTM. They're not for everyone.

FWIW, the subframe bolt failure isn't a fit and finish issue. The bolts failed from fatigue caused by the lower subframe rubber bushings flexing too much. KTM did a recall on the bushings to replace them with a harder compound. Clearly I waited too long to replace mine...

Even when it did fail on the second day of that ride, it wasn't a trip killer. I didn't even know it failed until we stopped for lunch. 5 minutes and a handful of zipties cured the problem. I rode the next day in the Nevada desert with my gas tank and seat ziptied to the frame.

Ok, now to steer this thread back on topic.
Our day in Tahoe included a visit to the abondoned train tunnels above donner lake. Hwy 80 is behind us in this photo.

ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #1557
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post

They're all good bikes. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It just comes down to where you want your compromise to be.

WoodsChick
That's all I was saying. Husky makes great bikes, so does KTM.

Quote:

You were still willing to put a lot of money into a bike that was new to you, and barley used. The fix for a 690 is $50.

Quote:

They're great competitors, but if given unlimited funds I would take the 690 anyday. Not because it's a KTM, but because for the way I ride it performs better. You always bring up specs when discussing bikes. The trouble is that they don't mean shit when it comes to actualy riding the bikes. My old GSA had slightly more suspension travel than Paul's 990, yet I couldn't keep up with him because the components BMW used were crap and it would bottom out over every bump. (Now I have no excuse; I just can't keep up with him ) Also some bikes just feel heavy even if they are similar in weight.

Anyway I'm not going any further with this I was just surprised that a $50 part would cause you such greif.... KTM makes kick ass bikes... Husky makes kick ass bikes... Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Kawi... all kick ass bikes! Ride what makes you happy.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #1558
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravine View Post
Ok, now to steer this thread back on topic.
Our day in Tahoe included a visit to the abondoned train tunnels above donner lake. Hwy 80 is behind us in this photo.
I've always wanted to do that loop. I really need to get my head outta the desert this year and ride in the woods some more.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #1559
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravine View Post
Oh goody, I instigated a Husky vs KTM religous war
Not with me, you didn't
I have no brand loyalty. I love `em all and buy what's best for me.
I currently own Husky, KTM, GasGas, Suzuki and Honda.

I really want to check out the train tunnels above Donner. Looks like you guys had a great day to do it!

WoodsChick

Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #1560
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
Robo-Boogie and I rode through there last summer on our way back to Chico from Tahoe. Pretty cool. There was still a lot of snow in the middle of summer. We rode the traintracks down the mountain for a long ways, and then jumped onto a dirt road that follows a canal that runs alongside the hwy. Somewhere along the way, we found a huge spillway that we were able to ride up (actually camped up top) and Robo BOOSTED it. He was getting about 70-80ft of air off the top of it, where it transitions to a long stretch of flat pavement. We must have spent at least half the morning riding up/down that spillway. Super fun way to get up/down the mtn.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote