ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #2221
SLOspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Just a quick update,
moving to Oakland, near 34th Ave and Davis. I'd love to meet local folks! Get the keys on Monday, but most of the moving happens on the 6th & 7th.
I'm new to the bay area as well. I'm in North Oakland at 56th street and San Pablo. I'm looking forward to a local meet-up as well.

-Steve
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #2222
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Monday Morning Aug 1st

Going to do a little exploring Monday morning in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Hope to find narrow, twsity back roads and if they are unpaved all the better! I have heard them call Goaty roads by some of the folks on these forums. If anyone is interested send a PM and we can talk. I have a GPS track I want to check out.

LaPorte
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #2223
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,419
Hey LaPorte, See Ya there (9:30 Monday Morning at the Starbucks in Saratoga) I have commitments in the afternoon but Im free till around 1:00 in the afternoon

Qwik screwed with this post 07-31-2011 at 10:10 PM Reason: Edited for Location because I am an Idiot and posted the wrong town
Qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #2224
SLOspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
Going to do a little exploring Monday morning in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Hope to find narrow, twsity back roads and if they are unpaved all the better! I have heard them call Goaty roads by some of the folks on these forums. If anyone is interested send a PM and we can talk. I have a GPS track I want to check out.

LaPorte
PM sent.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #2225
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,720
Interested in what you find LaPorte. Going to be in the Monterey Bay area all next week (7-13). Not sure how much time for riding I will have, but I would like to get some input for some afternoon rides out of Santa Cruz. Been watching the weather and I am not sure I am even going to take the bike. Sounds like it has been foggy and cold in the mornings. Anybody have local report on what the weather is really like?

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #2226
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

It warms up by noon most days and its worth the trip to bring the bike.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #2227
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Interested in what you find LaPorte. Going to be in the Monterey Bay area all next week (7-13). Not sure how much time for riding I will have, but I would like to get some input for some afternoon rides out of Santa Cruz. Been watching the weather and I am not sure I am even going to take the bike. Sounds like it has been foggy and cold in the mornings. Anybody have local report on what the weather is really like?
hobbes

Keep intouch, i can take you on a ride or get you some GPS tracks if you would like.

LaPorte
Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #2228
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post

LaPorte
Here are a couple...

Narrow/goaty: China Grade (out of Boulder Creek off Hwy 236 near Big Basin)

Further north: Tunitas Creek (near Half Moon Bay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
I do most of my rides to the north, but there is some good stuff to the south as well (even a private dirt road that I can't name... )

Recommended route: Either Empire Grade (from High Street) or Hwy 9 to Felton-Empire (which I recommend) to Empire Grade, then down Jameson Creek, Left on Hwy 236, Right on China Grade (comes out further up on 236). 236 to 9 north to Skyline (Hwy 35). Left on Skyline. Left on Alpine (at Page Mill/Alpine intersection) down Alpine to Pescadero. Left on Pescadero to the town of Pescadero. For shorter ride, turn left on Cloverdale before town of Pescadero and head back (south) via Gazos Crk Rd to Hwy 1.

Longer ride: Continue on Pescadero rd to the town of Pescadero. Right on Stage Rd (the main street) headed north (becomes fun coastal one lane road - old stage route). Continue on Stage Rd across Hwy 84. Junction with Hwy 1. Right (north) on Hwy 1 to Tunitas Creek Rd (twisty, narrow, redwoods, etc.). Tunitas Creek to Skyline (Hwy 35). Hwy 35 (recommend a stop at Alice's Restaurant @ Hwy 35 x Hwy 84 intersection) back to Hwy 9. Right on Hwy 9 back to Santa Cruz.

Lots of other options and twisty roads. If you want more suggestions, or a GPS track or two, send me a PM. Enjoy!
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #2229
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Recommended route: Either Empire Grade (from High Street) or Hwy 9 to Felton-Empire (which I recommend) to Empire Grade, then down Jameson Creek, Left on Hwy 236, Right on China Grade (comes out further up on 236). 236 to 9 north to Skyline (Hwy 35). Left on Skyline. Left on Alpine (at Page Mill/Alpine intersection) down Alpine to Pescadero. Left on Pescadero to the town of Pescadero. For shorter ride, turn left on Cloverdale before town of Pescadero and head back (south) via Gazos Crk Rd to Hwy 1.
Speaking of China Grade, is Butano fire trail/truck trail open and legal? Looks like it would be a cool detour on a Pescadero ride. I didn't see any obvious gates but it's hard to tell on google.
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #2230
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

We did China Grade today (I had to bail early) Had a blast rippin with Steve and Tony. Thanks Guys!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #2231
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb View Post
Speaking of China Grade, is Butano fire trail/truck trail open and legal? Looks like it would be a cool detour on a Pescadero ride. I didn't see any obvious gates but it's hard to tell on google.
Nope, you can only ride that on a mountain bike. Fairly steep, but can be a good workout.

It is safe to assume that essentially every dirt road in the Santa Cruz mountains/SF peninsula is closed to motorcycles or on private property (there are a couple of exceptions, short out and back dead ends, etc.) Some of the dirt roads that you see in parks or open space preserves are open to mountain bikes (many are closed even to bicycling ).

In general, I find that google is not very good as a reference for ride planning, unless you cross check with a known road map or otherwise ask around for open routes.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #2232
SLOspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
We did China Grade today (I had to bail early) Had a blast rippin with Steve and Tony. Thanks Guys!
I had a great time as well. Looking forward to next time.

-Steve
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #2233
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Todays ride went well. Did a few twisty roads, stopped for lunch in Scotts Valley. Tim cut the day short, had to get home. Steve and I had lunch in Scotts Valley then he headed home. I continued from Scotts Valley to Soquel then to Corralitos over the hill to Almaden then home.
Thanks Tim and Steve for keeping me company.

LaPorte
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #2234
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Fun Morning. Steve! Post the Pics!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #2235
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,720
Thanks for the replies guys. I will be busy every day until early afternoon playing at the disc golf championship. I think I may hit Empire Grade, China Grade and Lodge Rd sometime during the week, and Calaveras and Morgan Territory on the way home if I feel like it.
I will be filling the GPS with routes and see what I end up doing according to how I feel and time allowed.

Thanks again. Should be a fun week.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote