ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #2401
KTM Freak
MILF supporter

Oddometer: 35
Looks like you guys had a great time Paul. I don't like seeing those 990's on the ground though. It brings back memories of DV
KTM Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #2402
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Where was this at Paul?
Bonaville salt flats

Cool place !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #2403
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Freak View Post
Looks like you guys had a great time Paul. I don't like seeing those 990's on the ground though. It brings back memories of DV
It's all part of the fun !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #2404
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,068
A. I thought so. Just looked like sand instead of the salt. Bonneville is one of my favorite places!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #2405
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
We are in!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBryant View Post
Time to do one of my favorite rides. This dual sport ride is big bike friendly with 60/40 split between pavement and dirt roads with great views. We will meet at the Starbucks in Colfax. Kick stands up at 10:00AM.

The route is Yankee Jim to Forest Hill to The Cedars to Sugar Bowl and the Donner Train Tunnels. Lunch in either Norden or Cisco Grove. Then down Highway 20 then Chalk Bluff road and on to a stop at my mothers.

Friday Night Sept 30 is the AMA/USA Speedway Budweiser National Championship Series Final at the Auburn Fairgrounds. I’ll be attending the races. I understand that you might be able to sleep at the fairgrounds after the races. Camping and floor space will also be available at my mothers place. Please let be know if you coming.

Map and GPX file at http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...12#post1613312
K L Rocket, Write2ride, and myself are in! We will be driving from Petaluma Friday afternoon. Looking for a campsite and a place to park the trailer while we ride. Been watching for this ride since I wasn't able to make last year's ride....can't wait!

Tim

3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #2406
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhool View Post
This ride is officially scheduled for Sunday, 9/25. Most likely leaving around 7:30 am from the gas station near Geary and Park Presidio. Anyone else interested?

Any ride report??

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #2407
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Anyone up for a ride around Clear Creek/Idria this Saturday?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #2408
Danhool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Fish Rock Road Ride Report

So I ended up doing a solo ride up north on Saturday. My buddies had to bail due to their inability to hold their liquor the night before...
Left my house around 9 am, and all I could see was fog. No worries, I'm sure that as soon as I get across the bridge it'll be nice and sunny. Uh, no. Fog soup all the way to the Meyers Grade Road turnoff north of Bodega Bay. But it was actually pretty nice because this meant that were hardly any retarded tourists clogging the twisties.
I didn't take too many photos; I was too busy enjoying the solitude of a beautiful ride. But here are a few:
Kruse Rhododendron State Park had a nice 5 mile section of dirt that was a great way to pop my dirt cherry on the Husky.

After 3 quick hours I was up in Anchor Bay and ready to take on Fish Rock Rd. About 5 miles into the dirt section I came across a nice view:

The couch is a nice touch.

I was about to continue on my journey when I heard the comforting noise of a real thumper. A sweet DR650 came into view and stopped for a chat. He was nice enough to warn me about waving down any truck drivers on the road; too good of a chance that they're pot growers. As a precaution, he carries a gun while riding alone out there...

I finished up the dirt section (only about easy 15 miles in all ) and got to some sweet twisties along 128 down to Cloverdale. Stopped at an amazing Mexican place for lunch.

Continued down Dry Creek Rd to Healdsburg to spend Saturday night at my buddy's house. Great night up there, probably about 10 of us in all, hot tub, pool, bbq, beer, fire, etc. Leaving the house in the morning:

I was a bit nervous about the ride back down to SF on Sunday; it was forecast to rain and I'm a total pansy when it comes to riding in the rain. Luckily, it was dry all day. I avoided 101 like the plague, so I rode along the Russian River for a while until I hit Monte Rio, then crossed over and rode the Bohemian Hwy South. Got to Occidental, hooked a right on Coleman Valley Rd and enjoyed an amazing ride down to Hwy 1. Honestly this was the highlight of my trip right here. I highly recommend this route. I was having such a good time that I forgot to take any photos. Made it back to SF in about 3.5 hours from Healdsburg (definitely the long way around, but much more exciting than 101).
Fish Rock Rd was ok, but if you don't appreciate the journey up there and back, it's not worth it. I had Scorpion MT-90s, and they hooked up reasonably well, but the DR650 had knobbies and could definitely whip it around more than I could. But I'm happy I had the Scorpions for all those twisties.
Next ride I'm gonna search for a bit more dirt, so probably something like Idria Rd down south.
Danhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #2409
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,928
Quote:
I finished up the dirt section (only about easy 15 miles in all ) and got to some sweet twisties along 128 down to Cloverdale. Stopped at an amazing Mexican place for lunch.

Hell yes.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #2410
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oh, and i should have mentioned this before: for a bit more dirt, next time turn off on elkhorn road, just SE of Yorkville. It's an out and back, as far as I can find, but some nice road in there.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #2411
SLOspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Anyone up for a ride around Clear Creek/Idria this Saturday?
Maybe... I'll know more later in the week.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 AM   #2412
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
So I ended up doing a solo ride up north on Saturday.
Nice stuff, Danhool! Your buddy's place in Healdsburg sounds like heaven! Sweet looking Husky, too. Dig the headlights. We just added an `06 TE610 to the growing kennel of Huskys in the garage. It has 600 miles on it and has never seen any dirt

WoodsChick

Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #2413
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 146
Looks like somebody pulled the couch up to the top of the hill. It was about ten feet over the edge when we were there last week.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #2414
Danhool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Hell yes.
Thanks for the tip! And I'll have to check out Elkhorn Rd sometime when I head back up to Healdsburg. Looks like it's about 20 miles worth of dirt.
Danhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #2415
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! And I'll have to check out Elkhorn Rd sometime when I head back up to Healdsburg. Looks like it's about 20 miles worth of dirt.
You can't go as far as it looks like, but it's still fun. I tried to find a way down to rockpile road near lake sonoma, but no dice. Let me know if you find a way.

ktm
old bmw
others