ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #2491
Danhool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Mendocino Oct 15 & 16

Just got back from an awesome overnight trip up to Mendo with G (ThisWayHome), Chris (ColdC), and my buddy Nick. Chris and I were on our Huskies, and G and Nick rode the big 990s. G, Nick and I left SF a little after 7 am, rode over the bridge, met up with Chris in American Canyon, and then we were off. I won't bore you with the details of our route, you can check it out for yourself here. We followed it pretty closely, and it turned out spectacularly.

We had a pretty long ride on both Saturday and Sunday, so we didn't take too many picture breaks. But here are a few.

Gas and tire check in Clearlake:

Looking down into the valley from FH7 (Alder Springs Rd):

Campsite at Black Butte River:

View from M1:

M1 and Lake Pillsbury in the background:

Bear "Creek" along M10. More like "puddle" this time of year.

After this shot, the riding got a LOT more challenging. Hill climbs, ruts, rock gardens, creek crossings, etc. This, combined with the fact that we still had to ride all the way back to SF before dark (I hate riding across the Bay Bridge at night; scares the shit out of me), meant that we didn't really have time to take many more photos.

Stats: 1 flat tire, 1 dead battery, 1 get-off, 2 miscommunications regarding routes (by the time we got to the M10 turn-off, it was only myself and Nick). G and Chris took their own routes back home, so they might have more pics of that. I must say that as the trip organizer, I felt kinda shitty that I started the trip with 4 people in the group and got back to SF with only 2. But I've confirmed that they are alive and well.

Overall an excellent trip. I definitely appreciated the fact that we did the route counter-clockwise because it starts easy and progresses to more challenging terrain the farther you go. Nothing that a 990 can't handle, and definitely more of a challenge than fire roads.
Danhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #2492
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhool View Post
Overall an excellent trip. I definitely appreciated the fact that we did the route counter-clockwise because it starts easy and progresses to more challenging terrain the farther you go. Nothing that a 990 can't handle, and definitely more of a challenge than fire roads.
So, easy stuff for a 610 then.

Nice pics, especially the M1/Lake shot.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #2493
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
welcome back Todd !
Thanks. After my computer died I decided to take some time off from the Internet. Then my iPhone got wet so I have been completely unplugged for a coupla months now. It was kinda fun.

Jon where you at? Riding a BMW now? I guess it beats kicking you're bike.

Dan I'm bummed I couldn't make that trip with y'all. It looked like fun!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #2494
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
T O Double D is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
Thanks. After my computer died I decided to take some time off from the Internet. Then my iPhone got wet so I have been completely unplugged for a coupla months now. It was kinda fun.

Jon where you at? Riding a BMW now? I guess it beats kicking you're bike.

Dan I'm bummed I couldn't make that trip with y'all. It looked like fun!
T O Double D - you're back - thank goodness - thought aliens may have adbucted you.

Might have another trip in mind early Nov.

Also wondered if you still had that cool picture of Jeff, Hacket, and me at Owen's lake from the Death valley trip - awesome screen saver.

MZ
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #2495
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

This thread is back in the gutter again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Oh. There's more

Check out the balloons!
Check out the pink toy on the tank - nasty. The seat has a working vibrator in it!

Now for more civilized photos from the Horizon's Unlimited Rally in Cambria.

The tent city at the rally

The famous ("Extreme") World Traveler Auriel (with wife Marion) from France and his KTM 950 Adventure. Great stories and pictures from his world travels, Thanks for sharing.

Cool dude (second from left) and wife world travelers from Australia who visited 193 countires on a Harley.

Cool paint job on the Ural with sidecar

Awesome orange 950 Adventure stands out in the crowd (mine) except for the guy who just rode in with the same model - damn copy cat.

Chef Boy-ar-dee from England shows how to make a multi-course chicken curry meal with just your motorcycle cooking gear. Note Auriel and Marion standing at the front - must be still hungry.

Here is Chihuahua dog saying "Hey Mang, where's da beef?"

And here is Grant at the tire seminar - "You don't need no stinkin 16" tire iron"
Try a 8 inch tire iron on a 950 rear tire - good luck!

Anyways had a great time - met some cool people, heard some great stores from the road and had really good food too.

After the rally rode home north on Hwy 1 and cut in east after Gorda for some dirt riding with JustPaul leading, another 2011 990 dakar rider, Jeremiah on a 1150GS and Daniel on a 690 to the top of the ridges high above hwy 1.

Awesome scenery up there:

Trying out the 690 with Fort Hunter Leggett in the background - very nice.

Jeremiah taking a break on the top - it was nice but hot up there.

After that rode to Monterey and then home. Thanks to Daniel for showing the way around Castrolville blvd - it was dark, traffic was bad on hwy 156 toward hwy 101

Mike Z
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #2496
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Mendo Ride Oct 15/16 - Thanks Dan!

[/QUOTE]
Stats: 1 flat tire, 1 dead battery, 1 get-off, 2 miscommunications regarding routes (by the time we got to the M10 turn-off, it was only myself and Nick). G and Chris took their own routes back home, so they might have more pics of that. I must say that as the trip organizer, I felt kinda shitty that I started the trip with 4 people in the group and got back to SF with only 2. But I've confirmed that they are alive and well.

Overall an excellent trip. I definitely appreciated the fact that we did the route counter-clockwise because it starts easy and progresses to more challenging terrain the farther you go. Nothing that a 990 can't handle, and definitely more of a challenge than fire roads.[/QUOTE]

Definitely an EXCELLENT trip and a big thanks to DAN for initiating the ride. No problem Dan, for losing a couple of us; I would have made that last turn if my GPS hadn't truncated the route. Lot's of fun and even working on the flat tire is funny in retrospect. I owe Nick, Dan & G a big THANKS for their help repairing the tire. It was quite a lesson!
Beautiful scenery, fun fast riding, good times with new friends.
'Till next time guys... C.
ColdC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #2497
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
After that rode to Monterey and then home. Thanks to Daniel for showing the way around Castrolville blvd - it was dark, traffic was bad on hwy 156 toward hwy 101
I cut over to 1 only to get stuck there too...

Here's a couple more photos.

The lodge is in the background and we camped just behind it overlooking the ocean.

This hawk has a wing injury that prevents it from being released to the wild so they use it for educational purposes.

AceRph gave a talk on doing the Alcan with his daughter. Man, that was an awesome thing to do.

On the way home, I stopped in Parkfield for lunch. They have a rather short menus on days there are events and there was some kind of horse event.

On the way to Parkfield, you cross from the Pacific Plate to the North American Plate. Parkfield's claim to fame is earthquakes--there are lots of them there.

Sat down for lunch and talked to a guy that lives a mile from me. Who'd have thunk?

Finally, if you want to see how low it went, click this. Don't say I didn't warn you
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #2498
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
a couple more

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #2499
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb View Post
my guess is you might have a different answer for my Cabo trip in DEC/Jan

Nice looking bike BTW ! you stole it at that price

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #2500
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,252
Quote:
Finally, if you want to see how low it went, click this. Don't say I didn't warn you
Perhaps they need this.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #2501
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Anybody up for an easy Santa Cruz Mountains dual sport ride this Sunday? All easy dirt on the Summit and Buzzard loop, with a stop off at Corralitos Meat Market for lunch. Mileage is 40-50 miles on fire roads and pavement. Any bike, with any tire is fine for this loop, as long as you feel relativly confident on dirt. Pace is your own, I'll be Sunday pleasure cruising. There is an optional loop afterwards that includes a little more dirt as well. I have GPS tracks, I'll post up soon.

When: Sunday Oct 23 at 10am... KSU 10:20

Where: Summit Store on Summit Road. (Near the junction of Summit and Old San Jose)

Who: Open to anybody that likes to ride dirt and is bored by football.

(Please note there is no secret dirt on this ride. It's the usual stuff and all of it is relatively legal. It will be boring on a plated dirt bike. This is meant as a meet and greet and eat ride.)
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #2502
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Anybody up for an easy Santa Cruz Mountains dual sport ride this Sunday? All easy dirt on the Summit and Buzzard loop, with a stop off at Corralitos Meat Market for lunch. Mileage is 40-50 miles on fire roads and pavement. Any bike, with any tire is fine for this loop, as long as you feel relativly confident on dirt. Pace is your own, I'll be Sunday pleasure cruising. There is an optional loop afterwards that includes a little more dirt as well. I have GPS tracks, I'll post up soon.

Where: Summit Store on Summit Road. (Near the junction of Summit and Old San Jose)

(Please note there is no secret dirt on this ride. It's the usual stuff and all of it is relatively legal. It will be boring on a plated dirt bike. This is meant as a meet and greet and eat ride.)
Hmmm! I might try for this one!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #2503
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,413
Wish I didnt work weekends!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #2504
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

HU Pictures

Quote:
I cut over to 1 only to get stuck there too...

Here's a couple more photos.

The lodge is in the background and we camped just behind it overlooking the ocean.

This hawk has a wing injury that prevents it from being released to the wild so they use it for educational purposes.

AceRph gave a talk on doing the Alcan with his daughter. Man, that was an awesome thing to do.

On the way home, I stopped in Parkfield for lunch. They have a rather short menus on days there are events and there was some kind of horse event.

On the way to Parkfield, you cross from the Pacific Plate to the North American Plate. Parkfield's claim to fame is earthquakes--there are lots of them there.

Sat down for lunch and talked to a guy that lives a mile from me. Who'd have thunk?

Nice pictures - I like the sign on the water tank in Parkfield which says "Earthquake Capital of the World - be here when it happens" - I don't think so!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #2505
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday Ride

Quote:

Hi Todd - I am up for that - we can catch up on stuff.

Mike Z