ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #241
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddydonut
I just saw your posting and was hoping to get more information about your club. I live in Oakland and ride a 04 GSA. I would like to also know if my bike is too big for the kind of rides you do.

Thanks,
Not really a club. I just wanted to meet and ride with more people, so I started this thread. So far we haven't done a whole lot, but hopefully when the wheather improves we can get more rides in.

As for your bike it will be fine on most rides, although my favorite rides are spending a week riding almost exlcusively dirt at high speed and your bike would be a big challenge under those conditions. Just read the ride descriptions when they happn and you'll know.

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #242
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanwannabe
Hi;
I'll be in downtown San Francisco next week for work, but have some time open. I plan to rent a 1200GS from Eagle Rider in the City around noon Friday and need to have it back by 5 pm Saturday.

Any suggestions for a good ride loop, assuming I spend Friday night out in the country somewhere? Napa, Muir Woods, PCH, Monterrey are all great ideas, but I'm not sure how far I can go within my time limits.

Just looking for great scenery with minimal traffic.
You could have a lot of fun in the Santa Cruz mountains south of the city. On Skyline taking 92 and 84 up/down to the coast (Highway 1). For extra fun try Tunitas Creek Road or Alpine Road. Also check out Alices Restuarant on Skyline. Or ride the coast down to Big Sur.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale

SenorPeligro screwed with this post 02-01-2010 at 05:50 PM
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #243
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
boats are so overrated

Based upon these pics, if this is the stuff I'd be dragged into, then at the very least, I'm going to need a life raft or a tow line! Holy Schmoly!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #244
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
Based upon these pics, if this is the stuff I'd be dragged into, then at the very least, I'm going to need a life raft or a tow line! Holy Schmoly!
Take a few rides with Todd, I, Graham, Richard and some of the others nuts on this board and you will find yourself here soon enough...

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #245
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Take a few rides with Todd, I, Graham, Richard and some of the others nuts on this board and you will find yourself here soon enough...
Where's the put-put trail? I have an excuse. I recovering. Yeah. That's right. Recovering and have to take it easy. I'll meet up later for BBQ. Put a steak and spud on for me too, will ya. Thanks.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 02-03-2010 at 01:26 PM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #246
RichardBryant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
DS/Adv Ride Feb 26-28 Carrizo Plain Jawbone Lake Isabella

Assuming it is not storming the plan is a three day ride. This shouldto be a big bike friendly ride but not a noob ride as there is a long wat to go and speeds in the easy dirt section will be about 35-50 mph with 55-65 on the highways.
Day 1
Holister to camping on the Carrizo Plain. Dirt includes Old Hernandez, Parkfield Grade and Soda Spring roads. I understand that it is a remote camp location, toliets and fire rings but not much else. One site has 8 spot and the other has 5. This is the shortest day, only 200 miles.
Day 2
Carrizo Plain to Lake Isabella via the Jawbone store
Camping at the Lake Isabella KOA. (I'm thinking a Kabin) Dirt for this day is easy but extensive. Rirt roads will include Soda Lake, Elkhoen Grade, Breckenridge, Kelso Creek, Jawbone Canyon, LA Aqueduct, Horse Canyon and McIvers. Lots of dirt and 250 mile total of the day. There are many bailouts if needed. Camping at the KOA or there are hotels in south lake.
Day 3
295 Miles to Gilroy via Kernville, CR107, Highways 190, 65 137, 99, 198, 43, 33 and 152. I have not done this route so there may be changes based on snow levels etc.

More info and route file here
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=90910
RichardBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #247
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Kick ass Richard! I've updated the front page. I can't wait to do this ride. I'm going outta my mind not riding. I was planning on riding down to the Carrizo tomorrow, but with all this rain it's gonna be a mud slog.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #248
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
I might be in ID, but if not sounds great. I'm glad Paul and Todd are in, I need big strong guys to help pick up my GS.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #249
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBryant
Assuming it is not storming the plan is a three day ride.
Richard, Good to see you again (in line friday night) at the Hi-Desert 250. I'll see if my schedule permits this upcoming ride. My 950 Adventure is needing some exercise.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #250
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20pumper
I might be in ID, but if not sounds great. I'm glad Paul and Todd are in, I need big strong guys to help pick up my GS.
It's all Good Todd and I have both been there with our GS's. I can remember last year when I helped Todd pick up his GS out of the dirt for the First Time..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #251
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
It's all Good Todd and I have both been there with our GS's. I can remember last year when I helped Todd pick up his GS out of the dirt for the First Time..
Or had me do it myself while you sat there laughing is more like it. But in truth you did do me a big favor of dispelling the ADVRider myth that you need help picking up a GSA, which lead me to going out to places I never would've by myself without the knowledge that I can pick it up. I've even picked mine up fully loaded with 6-7 gallons of fuel in it. The GSA is actualy not that bad.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #252
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanwannabe
Hi;
I'll be in downtown San Francisco next week for work, but have some time open. I plan to rent a 1200GS from Eagle Rider in the City around noon Friday and need to have it back by 5 pm Saturday.

Any suggestions for a good ride loop, assuming I spend Friday night out in the country somewhere? Napa, Muir Woods, PCH, Monterrey are all great ideas, but I'm not sure how far I can go within my time limits.

Just looking for great scenery with minimal traffic.
As Senor mentioned the roads to the south between Skyline Blvd and Hwy 1 are a lot of fun. You can also go over the Golden Gate to Hwy 1 north along the coast. Just past Mill Valley take Panoramic Hwy off Hwy 1 to the top of Mt Tamalpais for a great view of the Bay.. descend on Fairfax-Bolinas Rd back to Hwy 1, continue north through Pt Reyes Station - Bovine Bakery is a hangout there, then north to Tomales, Tomales Bakery is another hangout. Bodega Bay might be a good destination for your overnight. lots of lodging options along the coast. Next morning maybe consider traveling further north to Stewarts Point (just north of Ft Ross), then either come back down Hwy 1, or maybe take the Stewarts Point Skaggs Road inland to Healdsburg if you want to see some wineries. You can then take Hwy 128 back through Napa County if you want to see more wine country (Silverado Trail parallels 128 down the Napa Valley and is a preferable road imo). then take 37 back to Hwy 101 and into the city. I like hwy 1 this time of year because the traffic is usually pretty light, and the road dries out pretty quick if it's been raining. Have a ball!
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #253
911racer
dare to explore

Oddometer: 471
Hey thats me! Haven't seen that pic in a while. What a fun trip that was with Spanky and Paul in Mendo Nat forrest.

Hope to be going out to Hollister Hills on Wednesday to ride the 450 if anyone wants to come along that would be great! Send me a PM.
Attached Images

Run, run, run!
If you drink those sweet liqueurs you'll spill
The springwater of your real life.
Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
You have tried prudent planning for long enough.
From now on, live mad.
-J. Rumi, born 1207, a sifi mystic poet.
911racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #254
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911racer
Hey thats me! Haven't seen that pic in a while. What a fun trip that was with Spanky and Paul in Mendo Nat forrest.

Hope to be going out to Hollister Hills on Wednesday to ride the 450 if anyone wants to come along that would be great! Send me a PM.
This was the ride that decided for me the BMW was not the bike to be on.. You 2 ripped up those 14+ water crossings.

P

Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #255
rhenium3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Anybody want to take me riding?

I'm dying to go off road a bit! I bought a KLR and haven't had time to abuse her!

Anybody want to take me riding? I can do this week Thursday or next weekend (not this weekend). I'm in Walnut Creek. Some plus points about me:

1) I have experience (been to Albania, Romania, etc off road)
2) I fall a lot, so if you go behind me you get a nice show!

Some minus points:
1)I will need help picking up my bike
2)I fall a lot
3) I'm another unavailable chick for you to be friends with

If anybody is willing to show me some good off road tracks around the bay area I'd be oh so grateful! I'm dying to ride, I was supposed to go on an awesome 5 day trip right when we got hit with that huge rain storm. Now I'm going crazy, the weather is too nice not to ride!

PM me, thank you oh so much!

Hilary
rhenium3 is offline   Reply With Quote