ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #3046
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Thanks for the heads up. If time allows, I will want to head up there from the south to see if we can get across. If not, back out and around on 25...
It's shorter to the crossing from the north, but I do get the impression the crossing is easier done south to north these days.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #3047
RangerShawn
Philosopher

Oddometer: 58
Noob looking for group rides

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I live in Redwood City and I got a 2009 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A in July and have farkled it up. I'm looking for folks to go with for trips on dirt roads etc. I have been riding for 20+ years, but all street. No dirt riding experience. None. Ever. Due to my lack of knowledge of dirt riding I am hoping to go on rides on easy dirt roads, etc and work my way up to as far as my talent (or lack of talent) will take me. If anyone is willing to let me ride with them, they will need to be patient on the dirt. Help with instructions and advice would be appreciated. Anyone interested? Please send me a message if you are. Thanks.

PS: I'm up for group road trips too, and I don't even need a handicap for road trips. ;-)

PPS: I hoped I posted this in the right place.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #3048
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FLAT4 View Post
I'll be there.
+1 attending the March 2/4 Doc Wong Dual Sport Clinic
Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #3049
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Anyone here going?

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....29&postcount=1
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #3050
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
I'll be there on an orange F800GS.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #3051
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Yup.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #3052
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
There is no R1. It's Clear Creek Rd.

R1 was part of CCMA, which is closed. I refuse to recognize BLM designations.
+1

I am with you on this one, I refuse to acknowledge the Federal agency renaming existing roads to something nameless and easily forgotten. The Sawmill mudpit is crusted up and still pretty gooey from my last ride through there. It was due to this mudpit I ended up finally lowering my gearing as I just didn't have the low speed umph to quickly get the front tire up and almost ate it crossing this that mudpit.

K.B.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #3053
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
All I've seen on SBR is a guy with a 4x4 asking about the road and heading out there to scout it in his truck.
Thanks, Curt, I think I know who you're talking about.

It looks like Mehran is doing some local goat roads tomorrow, so I'm going to do that instead.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #3054
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Thanks, Curt, I think I know who you're talking about.

It looks like Mehran is doing some local goat roads tomorrow, so I'm going to do that instead.
Yeah, it's one of his usual routes. This one allows for a detour on Buzzard Lagoon. Virtually no one in the group will go for it, but that's never stopped me from heading down Redwood Retreat while they slogged it up 152 and through Mt. Madonna Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
It was due to this mudpit I ended up finally lowering my gearing as I just didn't have the low speed umph to quickly get the front tire up and almost ate it crossing this that mudpit.
You don't need to lift the front. Just weight the rear and don't tip toe through - give it some gas.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition

M N B screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 06:43 PM
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #3055
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Clear Creek 2/25

No word back from the SBR folks, but I am going out there tomorrow anyhow. I'd prefer not to ride the loop solo, anyone who is up for it is welcome to join.

Meet at 10 AM at Flapjacks in Tres Pinos and head out at 10:30. Out to Panoche, south to New Idria and through Clear Creek. If I am riding solo, I will skip the extra mud pit loop and the water crossing on Old H.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #3056
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Clear Creek Ride Report (Part 1)

I had a great ride through Clear Creek (and most of San Benito County) today. The weather and riding conditions were perfect.

I started in Tres Pinos, just south of Hollister and the Bay Area. Here is the route I took:

Up and ready to leave Santa Cruz in the early AM

Morning shots on the way to and through the Panoche Valley

Heading out towards New Idria

Stop at Griswold Hills for a snack break and rest

Cute horses at the Equine Rescue Center

Stopped and talked with folks at Woods Ranch, seems like a cool place to ride. So few public riding places nowadays, it is interesting to see a private riding area like they set up there.

I rode a bit further towards the mine and ran into a few riders who came in from the Coalinga side. We all checked out the buildings and talked with one of the locals (I think it was the owner of Woods Ranch) who came up to adjust his water supply valves.

The processing facility and mine were interesting to see. I heard from the local guy that the EPA recently worked to help clean up the mine tailings and runoff from this site.

Nice views on the way up into Clear Creek. The road up from New Idria is in pretty bad shape, but it was easily passable on a dual sport.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #3057
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Clear Creek Ride Report (Part 2)

Conditions were really nice up at Clear Creek summit. I can see why people love coming up here to ride. I hope that the BLM will open more of the park back up to motorcycles in the future (I know, sensitive issue...) None of that got in my head as I enjoyed the views and nice weather while I was having lunch.

Rode down Clear Creek road and out along the creek. The group I had met earlier was coming back down and I rode with them for a bit. One of their riders bikes got flooded out in one of the water crossings and had a hard time getting started back up.

So long to Clear Creek, but the ride is not over yet.

I checked out some of the new BLM facilities and rode out on Coalinga Road to Old Hernandez.

Old Hernandez is closed at the water crossing (as many here already know), but you can get across if you find the right spot.

I had some extra fuel and time as I headed back up Hwy 25 towards Tres Pinos, so I decided to head up Gloria Road (another dirt stretch) up to the summit above Gonzales in the Salinas Valley.

On the way back down, many ground squirrels were trying to sacrifice themselves to the motorcycle gods (as they often attempt to do), but something more surprising happened about halfway back to Hwy 25. I was moving along at a fair clip and out of the bushes on the right side of the road, what I thought was a bobcat popped out and I had to swerve to miss it. I looked back in the mirror and saw the cat running back into the bushes with a HUGE, long tail. I quickly realized that this was a young (or small) mountain lion and I thought for a second about turning around to go and take a closer look or a photo. Then I thought again, small/young mountain lion, possibly a cub with a mother lion nearby...? No thanks, I will stay away from young renegade lions and their protective mothers.

I rode the rest of the way back up Hwy 25, and the wind picked up (noticeably absent for the earlier portions of the ride). Back to the truck in time to see multiple sky divers parachuting down nearby.

143 miles on the odometer. No crashes or incidents. Lots of great views and riding. Good way to spend the day.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #3058
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Looks like a fun ride in Clear Creek! Nice weather too...
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #3059
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 956
Free off-road adventure bike clinic at Carniege Off-Road park in Livermore TODAY SUNDAY 26th. Starts at about 9-9:30am, just to the right after entering the guard gate. Great clinic for anyone on 650-1200 Adventure Bikes.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #3060
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 808
Clear Creek/Hernandez H20 xing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowest View Post
Looks like a fun ride in Clear Creek! Nice weather too...
Hi r3r3r,

Great pics and map! Thanks for posting ... did you find the right spot on Hernandez Road to cross? Looks like they are spending more time closing the road than keeping it open ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote