ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #3061
r3r3r
Wildebeast
 
r3r3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by motowest View Post
Looks like a fun ride in Clear Creek! Nice weather too...
Yea, I really had a great time. I also re-posted on Day Trippin' so other non-locals (who may still be snowed in...) can see how nice the conditions are here in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hi r3r3r,

Great pics and map! Thanks for posting ... did you find the right spot on Hernandez Road to cross? Looks like they are spending more time closing the road than keeping it open ...
Hi John, yep, there is a short drop and about a foot of water on one side of the fenced in area (I assume that this is the width of the county right of way, but could be wrong... ) everywhere else the drop is a bit higher, but the real issue is that the water has scoured out some deeper spots that appear to have a muddy bottom. Someone would need to fill those deeper areas in the creek in addition to cutting the bank down on the south side of the crossing.

In terms of the effort to post signs instead of actually repairing the crossing, I agree completely. It seems that a tractor (even a small private tractor if the county is too shy about it) could spend 1/2 a day cutting a notch in the bank and filling in the deep spots with the river rocks that are right there. That would re-open the crossing to all vehicles in most normal conditions.

I started to think that even a few guys with shovels could make it passable with a few hours of work...

I have to assume that this crossing has been repaired in a similar manner dozens of times over the years.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #3062
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
there is a short drop and about a foot of water on one side of the fenced in area (I assume that this is the width of the county right of way, but could be wrong... )
IIRC, the right of way is 40 feet from the centerline.

I agree, the crossing could easily be repaired with little effort. It's my understanding that the locals don't want it reopened.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #3063
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman
 
HardWorkingDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Walnut Crick, Cal.
Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
...I started to think that even a few guys with shovels could make it passable with a few hours of work...

I have to assume that this crossing has been repaired in a similar manner dozens of times over the years.
Or, a Kamaz truck could ferry traffic over...worked for Charlie & Ewan

Road repair seems to have become lost technology. We're all going to be scratching our heads wondering how the heck those guys built those amazing pyramids roads.
__________________
"Coffee first..."

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...


"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #3064
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zeegman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: San Jose, Ca
Oddometer: 342
Oyster Ride March 24

Oyster Ride March 24

There, thought I would add some adverising to get more visability

Hi Bert,

the date works for me. In.

Hey DarkRyder and others, lets go.

Mike Z


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
Oyster ride is back on new date is 3/24. who is in?
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #3065
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty
 
BigNastybrp's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: high speed boogie land, Sunny Ca.
Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
Oyster Ride March 24

There, thought I would add some adverising to get more visability

Hi Bert,

the date works for me. In.

Hey DarkRyder and others, lets go.

Mike Z

good to hear Mike Beer and Oysters hey we come!
__________________
XR650R Dual Sport 46k+miles just a few mods, XR600R 2500 miles,
KTM ADV990R 7500,
XR1200cc
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #3066
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,089
Hey Gang,

On Monday Mike A and I went for a ride.

I linked my favorite Dirt Roads in the Bay Area (100 Miles worth) and some of the best pavement roads also.. thought I would share it with you. see link below

If your a GPS noob you can go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and upload the track there and get a google map view.. no software needed takes 1 minute.

We crossed the stream at Old Hernandez Rd and it was about 12 inches deep with a 15 inch blind drop into the stream.. we took a video for the best spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUApO...e_gdata_player


Hope to get out and ride with some of you this year..

Paul


https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...154&parid=root

please let me know if this link does not work..
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #3067
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
good to hear Mike Beer and Oysters hey we come!
March 24 sucks. Pick a better date!
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #3068
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty
 
BigNastybrp's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: high speed boogie land, Sunny Ca.
Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
March 24 sucks. Pick a better date!
That is when I can go. Sucks for you.....lol Curt we will do one in the summer as well I love it up there.
__________________
XR650R Dual Sport 46k+miles just a few mods, XR600R 2500 miles,
KTM ADV990R 7500,
XR1200cc
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #3069
barbatus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Oakland CA
Oddometer: 23
HI from Oakland

Just introducing myself (hope this is the right place to post) - Live in Oakland and purchased an F800GS a month ago. Grew up on dirt bikes back in Australia but Ive been on street bikes for over 10 years. Ventured out to Carnegie yesterday and gave my crash bars a good breaking in when I tried to follow the Rangers directions and went up a crazy 45 degree angled rutted out hill- made it 80% of the way - anyways it was great fun. Looking at hooking up with local riders to hit some dirt.

I'll keep an eye out for rides on this- just wanted to introduce myself.

Cheers,

Erwin
barbatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #3070
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbatus View Post
Ventured out to Carnegie yesterday and gave my crash bars a good breaking in when I tried to follow the Rangers directions and went up a crazy 45 degree angled rutted out hill- made it 80% of the way - anyways it was great fun. Looking at hooking up with local riders to hit some dirt.
Carnegie has a ton of hill climbs. Hollister Hills is more trail oriented. Metcalf in San Jose is pretty small and mostly hard pack and rocky, but it's not as far.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #3071
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbatus View Post
Just introducing myself (hope this is the right place to post) - Live in Oakland and purchased an F800GS a month ago. Grew up on dirt bikes back in Australia but Ive been on street bikes for over 10 years. Ventured out to Carnegie yesterday and gave my crash bars a good breaking in when I tried to follow the Rangers directions and went up a crazy 45 degree angled rutted out hill- made it 80% of the way - anyways it was great fun. Looking at hooking up with local riders to hit some dirt.

I'll keep an eye out for rides on this- just wanted to introduce myself.

Cheers,

Erwin
hey Erwin,

I just posted a really fun adv bike ride. just go up a couple posts up... here is the link
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3066

the only semi hard part is the creek crossing and if you have a dirtbike background you will be fine its really easy. I have never met an aussie that didn't kick ass on a dirtbike or adv bike.

the track is in the email so its pretty easy just load it on your gps and go.. if you post it up with some notice you might be able to round up one or 2 guys to tag along with you.

its got 100 miles of dirt... fun day ride... i did it in 8 hours coming from Oakland it would take you about an hour more because of the extra slab..
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #3072
vuganeja
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 71
Another noob from San Jose.

Paul,
this is a great route. I've done la gloria both ways and old coast road but I'm a noob for the most part on dirt(20+ years on pavement) and would like the opportunity to ride with some of you folks on the next run.
cheers!
karthik
09 F650GS twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Hey Gang,

On Monday Mike A and I went for a ride.

I linked my favorite Dirt Roads in the Bay Area (100 Miles worth) and some of the best pavement roads also.. thought I would share it with you. see link below

If your a GPS noob you can go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and upload the track there and get a google map view.. no software needed takes 1 minute.

We crossed the stream at Old Hernandez Rd and it was about 12 inches deep with a 15 inch blind drop into the stream.. we took a video for the best spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUApO...e_gdata_player


Hope to get out and ride with some of you this year..

Paul


https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...154&parid=root

please let me know if this link does not work..
vuganeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #3073
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Seavoyage's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 133
Looking for ADV riders

We ride street/dirt on ADV beasts every chance we get. Some of us will be attending Doc Wong's ADV clinic this Friday 3/2 with the ride on Sunday 3/4. Details: http://www.meetup.com/docwong/

Last weekend ran TT Scrambles out at Stockton Fairgrounds: AMA West Coast Rough Scrambles High Point Series: http://racer45.com/

Previous week we rode up to Knoxville OHV, and just like you took our Big trailees to Carnegie SVRA the previous week.

Schedule for the next 3 months before the AMA D-36 Sheetiron 300, Dust Devils MC, DualSportWest, or IronMan DS events kick off are:

nOObs' Death Valley end of March Madness rALLy ; March 29 to April 1st: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753744

Western Adventure Rider Party and Endurance Drinking Event (WARPED VIII), April 13 through 15: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749889

Mendocino National Forest annual rally: May 3-6 : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757208

and pretty much ride every weekend in-between these events.
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #3074
r3r3r
Wildebeast
 
r3r3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavoyage View Post
We ride street/dirt on ADV beasts every chance we get. Some of us will be attending Doc Wong's ADV clinic this Friday 3/2 with the ride on Sunday 3/4. Details: http://www.meetup.com/docwong/

Last weekend ran TT Scrambles out at Stockton Fairgrounds: AMA West Coast Rough Scrambles High Point Series: http://racer45.com/

Previous week we rode up to Knoxville OHV, and just like you took our Big trailees to Carnegie SVRA the previous week.

Schedule for the next 3 months before the AMA D-36 Sheetiron 300, Dust Devils MC, DualSportWest, or IronMan DS events kick off are:

nOObs' Death Valley end of March Madness rALLy ; March 29 to April 1st: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753744

Western Adventure Rider Party and Endurance Drinking Event (WARPED VIII), April 13 through 15: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749889

Mendocino National Forest annual rally: May 3-6 : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757208

and pretty much ride every weekend in-between these events.
I'm signed up for both the DV and Mendo Rallys. See you there!
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #3075
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty
 
SenorPeligro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Off the wrong map
Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
I'm signed up for both the DV and Mendo Rallys. See you there!
Me too!

And a special guest appearance at WARPED.
__________________
It's just good clean dirt.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014