ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #3241
GreenWolf
n00b

Oddometer: 1
noobie

Im a noobie to the Adventure Riding world. Got bit when I watched around the world . I really dont know where to start. I am thinking of doing an Alaska ride from SF (where I live) to Anchorage, but not knowing where to start.

What kind of bike do you think I need for that trip?
What gear and what shops do you recommend buying from?
And what accessories do I need for camping?

Thank you so much for the help.
GreenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #3242
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWolf View Post
Im a noobie to the Adventure Riding world. Got bit when I watched around the world . I really dont know where to start. I am thinking of doing an Alaska ride from SF (where I live) to Anchorage, but not knowing where to start.

Spend some time on this site reading and learning. The answers to all your questions will come in due time grasshoppah.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #3243
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric40 View Post
So I'm looking to find some people who might want to put a small trip together for a weekend (fri&sat night) camping trip somewhere up or down the coast from the Bay area. The weather is getting nice, so hopefully plan a trip soon.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Either PM me or just post a reply.
Once you get a plan together, just post up the ride details in this thread and you should find people to join you.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #3244
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric40 View Post
Hi All,

New to the ADV scene and looking to get more involved. Ive been following many threads on the site, especially the ones regarding MotoCamping, and have recently been working on gathering all the camping gear needed to do some camping on my bike.

Well I have finally scrounged most of the essentials together and although I don't have extensive setup that some have out there I'm ready to hit the road.

So I'm looking to find some people who might want to put a small trip together for a weekend (fri&sat night) camping trip somewhere up or down the coast from the Bay area. The weather is getting nice, so hopefully plan a trip soon.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Either PM me or just post a reply.

Hope to put a nice trip together

Thanks
Cleric

Emmm, hopefully nice happens sooner rather than later - it's snowing in many places tonight. There are all kinds of weekend rides coming up too, just have a gander at the main western region thread. I for one was hoping for a dry March.....not gunna happen.

Cheers man
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #3245
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett View Post
spend some time on this site reading and learning. The answers to all your questions will come in due time grasshoppah.
+1

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #3246
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Did you do your pre-ride today?
the prerun was good Luckett was on small bike so we didn't ride the wide open parts. we tried to go more goat trail.
pre Oysters are good! I eat 6 small, 6 med, 1 large, and 4 more small +17 1 Beer some bread.

May 19th oyster run? will that work for you guys?

as for the 4-1 run you guys have the gps and are welcome to put it together and go then if you like
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #3247
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Alaska....

I'm contemplating doing the same from here in Oakland. Thinking of leaving June 10th....
Will be in contact as I give it more research. Anyone else up for a ride to Alaska? Anyone local that's made the trip that would be willing to spill some knowledge over a few beers?

Quote:

ColdC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #3248
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry I couldn't make the "pre-ride." Love the oysters. I think I might have topped your 17.
I'll miss May 19 as I'm riding the Sheetiron that weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
the prerun was good Luckett was on small bike so we didn't ride the wide open parts. we tried to go more goat trail.
pre Oysters are good! I eat 6 small, 6 med, 1 large, and 4 more small +17 1 Beer some bread.

May 19th oyster run? will that work for you guys?

as for the 4-1 run you guys have the gps and are welcome to put it together and go then if you like
Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #3249
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832
Alaska ...

Quote:
I am thinking of doing an Alaska ride from SF (where I live) to Anchorage, but not knowing where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdC View Post
I'm contemplating doing the same from here in Oakland. Thinking of leaving June 10th....
Will be in contact as I give it more research. Anyone else up for a ride to Alaska? Anyone local that's made the trip that would be willing to spill some knowledge over a few beers?
Hi GreenWolf and ColdC,

I've ridden up to Alaska from San Francisco a couple of times, once on a streetbike and once on a KLR ...

A 1988 BMW K75s near Homer, Alaska, on the Kenai Peninsula ... any streetbike is suitable for a ride to Fairbanks or Anchorage ... I saw mostly Harleys and Goldwings ... The second trip, I took the KLR with TCK80s in order to ride up to the Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway and to go to the ADVrider.com rally, Dust to Dawson in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada.

The Downtown Hotel in Dawson City, Yukon Territory Canada, during the Dust to Dawson rally ...

The Dust to Dawson rally is held in late June on the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, June 20th this year. The rally is a hoot, and you can make a run up to the Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway before or after the rally, depending on the weather ...

A campsite on the Cassiar Highway, and spring flowers on a dirt road near Kispiox, British Columbia (near the south end of the Cassiar Hwy).

I'm happy to talk about trips to Alaska almost any Thursday night here in San Francisco from 7pm 'til late, at the San Francisco Motorcycle Club at 18th Street and Folsom Street ... a few blocks away from Zeitgeist ... we'll also be there during the MotoGP season on Sunday afternoons, too, from 4pm to 7pm, any Sunday where there is a MotoGP race ... we'll be watching the race at the clubhouse ... maybe BenJava will show up to tell us about his Alaska adventures ...

I grew up feeling like a motorcycle trip to Alaska was a sort of pilgrimage all motorcycle guys made at least once ... June is the best time to go, IMO, weather-wise, mosquito-wise, rally-wise and daylight-wise ... but any bike and any time are the best bikes and times to go!

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 03:33 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #3250
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

SFMCjohn - Alaska

Excellent John, look forward to meeting you & downloading your knowledge.
Your photos made the desire even more acute. Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway and the Dust to Dawson was what I had in mind. Fairbanks, Anchorage, Prudhoe Bay?....I have at least a month or more....
I'll be making the trip on a KTM 990 Adv.
The only reason I won't go is that I have always ridden somewhere in Asia at least every other year and I skipped last year.
It will either be Alaska or Northern Thailand & Lao... done Thailand many times, Lao once... NEVER been to Alaska.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #3251
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:

Do gear research at REI, buy some there and some at Campmor.com, depending on price.

Practice makes almost perfect. Take your gear out as often as possible and carry a note pad. When you think of something that would make life easier write it down, when something worked poorly write it down. When you get home use your notes to improve your gear. If you dont use something at least 1 time in 2 trips, consider whether it is needed, unless its a safety item.
Use/buy items that can do 2 or more jobs when possible. A good example, carry a knife, spoon and fork or this:

Which has all that plus a cork screw, can opener, bottle opener and an awl! A little more weight but alot more uses!

And +2 on reading up on here!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #3252
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
So SFMCjohn which trip did you enjoy more, the street bike or the KLR trip?? Too bad I dont live in SF anymore would like to make one of the club meetings. Born and raised just a few blocks from the Cow Castle, MANY moons ago.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #3253
SFMCjohn

Hydesville, California ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
So SFMCjohn which trip did you enjoy more, the street bike or the KLR trip?? Too bad I dont live in SF anymore would like to make one of the club meetings. Born and raised just a few blocks from the Cow Castle, MANY moons ago.
Hi WRC51,

Had to look up Hydesville, and turns out I know it as the sharp turn at the end of Rt 36 where we often sit and wait for each other in order to regroup ...

The Cow Palace is still there, but they blew up Geniva Towers (as I'm sure you know) ...

Guess I liked the KLR trip because I got to Ross River and the Arctic Circle, but the streetbike trip was wonderful, too ... We went backpacking in Denali NP, did a glacier tour and a kayaking tour on the BMW trip ... Really fun things I don't seem to do when I'm by myself, which I was on the KLR trip ... Can't bring myself to let the bike out of my sight when I'm alone ...

The SFMC has been at 18th Street and Folsom since 1947, just a mom & pop, AMA sweater club ... Lots of different bikes, and lots of KLRs ... Hope you can visit someday, or to catch up in Hydesville ...

See you on the side of the road,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 08:32 AM
Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #3254
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdC View Post
It will either be Alaska or Northern Thailand & Lao... done Thailand many times, Lao once... NEVER been to Alaska.
Hi ColdC,

A month or more is just about perfect ... Wish I were able to go to D2D this year, I think it's the 20th one ... Not to be missed!

Hope to see you (and/or anyone else reading this) at the club one of these days ... I'll try to bring a map ... Otherwise, I've paid for the Mendo Rally on May 3-6th and should be at the Funduro and Sheetiron ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #3255
AKTobias
Frugal Badass

Oddometer: 239
Workspace?

Hey guys,
I live in ALaska and am looking to do a fly and buy this summer. I've never done this before, but 2 of us will be buying bikes in the bay area and then visiting a buddy in SF (Green Wolf - noobie just signed on) and then riding back up to Anchorage, camping along the way.

Once we find the bikes we want, is there a local place to prep them for the trip? We'd have the tools we need, except for maybe a drill. We're not overhauling anything, but just bolting on parts, wiring heated grips, changing seat and gas tanks and such.

If you or anyone you know is looking to get rid of a road-worthy dual sport, we'd be interested: DR650, KLR650, DRZ400, W250R I'd consider a KTM or BMW if the price was right.

Thanks
Tobias

I