ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #3301
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
I stocked up on tires a couple years ago and over-estimated my need. I'd like to see these tires get some use and I don't see needing them in the next 12 months. My screw up is your gain...

Metzeler Karoos: $110 for the pair
take offs (26 miles on them)
90/90x21 (DOT 2409) and 140/80x18 (DOT 2209)

Shinko 705 bias ply: $70 for the pair
New
90/90x21 and 150/70x17 (all DOT 2309)

DOT Codes are in the form XXYY, where XX is the week of the year and YY is the last two digits of the year manufactured. So 2009, would be a tire manufactured in the 20th week of 2009 (about mid-May).

Sold in pairs only. These tires are sold as is with no guarantees or warranties expressed or given.

If you're concerned about the shelf life, Dunlop warrants their tires for 6 years. A Metzeler/Pirelli expert suggested a 5 year shelf life at a seminar held at Road Rider recently. These tires are all between two and three years old and should provide you with normal longevity and wear.

I live in South San Jose (Blossom Hill and 101). I'm willing to deliver (outside rush hours) if you cover the gas cost. If you live within 10 miles, I'll deliver for free.

PM if interested.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition

M N B screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 09:48 PM
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #3302
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hi BigT,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi ... looks like we were sitting next to each other under the watchtower:
I was sitting out on a rock just below the tower.

I saw a bunch of SFMC members taking a group photo in the lot after the sunrise. Maybe you were one of them.
I was about 10' from the photographer. Looks like we just missed each other. Maybe next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Larryboy (on the left), showing off his home-built, carb'd, GS ...
While sitting on my rock, I heard someone above me say "Hey, Larry Boy" (didn't catch the rest) and spun around to see a guy I haven't seen since 2005 when he used to own a KLR. Great to see you again, Rob/LB!

BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #3303
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I saw a bunch of SFMC members taking a group photo in the lot after the sunrise. Maybe you were one of them.
Hey BigT,

Here's that group shot ... I missed out ...
DSCN9002

Another of Becky, Larryboy and Nixels on the trail:

DSCN8993

We usually serve a no-waiting, easy-seating, cheap (free) breakfast after the sunrise at the club ...

More Mt. Tam Easter Sunrise Rally pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfmc/se...7629773222093/

Hope to see you at the Mendo Rally, the Funduro or the Sheetiron, or otherwise around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #3304
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
I stocked up on tires a couple years ago and over-estimated my need. I'd like to see these tires get some use and I don't see needing them in the next 12 months. My screw up is your gain...

Metzeler Karoos: $110 for the pair
take offs (26 miles on them)
90/90x21 (DOT 2409) and 140/80x18 (DOT 2209)

Shinko 705 bias ply: $70 for the pair
New
90/90x21 and 150/70x17 (all DOT 2309)

DOT Codes are in the form XXYY, where XX is the week of the year and YY is the last two digits of the year manufactured. So 2009, would be a tire manufactured in the 20th week of 2009 (about mid-May).

Sold in pairs only. These tires are sold as is with no guarantees or warranties expressed or given.

If you're concerned about the shelf life, Dunlop warrants their tires for 6 years. A Metzeler/Pirelli expert suggested a 5 year shelf life at a seminar held at Road Rider recently. These tires are all between two and three years old and should provide you with normal longevity and wear.

I live in South San Jose (Blossom Hill and 101). I'm willing to deliver (outside rush hours) if you cover the gas cost. If you live within 10 miles, I'll deliver for free.

PM if interested.

TKCs, 606s and a Shinko rear have been sold. Still have one pair each of Karoos and Shinkos.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #3305
SFMCjohn

Laugh Let's Ride ... Hollister Hills

We're off this morning to Hollister Hills ... going to be camping in the Madrone campsite (the last one past the store) ...

Celebrating Aidan's 12th birthday with dirt bike riding ... cake and ice cream and maybe campfire guitar Saturday night ... here's a pic of Aidan from SouthBayRiders.com, from the Wild Piglet Enduro earlier this season:

null

Camping is free if you ride a bike into Hollister Hills, otherwise they charge a parking fee for a car ... cheap, when you consider the feds charge over $25 to camp at Pinnacles ... Anyway, if you are on a streetbike, you get in free, too ... (I often camp here on bike trips heading south or on my way home from Baja, etc.) Anyway, you used to be able ride in free ... we'll see ...

We'll be riding down, probably through Alice's, this afternoon ... and then to Hollister ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 11:15 AM
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #3306
SFMCjohn

Hollister Hills Birthday ...

Here's a map and a few pics from our weekend ride down to Hollister Hills for Lodi and District 36 racer Aidan's 12th birthday party ...

Tired to ride over Mt. Madonna on the way down, but took a wrong turn on Eureka Valley, which I'm used to having a barrier at the top to let me know I'm going the wrong way ... found out where Buzzard's Lagoon is though ... had a nice lunch in Corralitos ...

The crew!

The gang at Hollister Hills on Sunday morning ... ADVers shown are Puddles, Bicycle Phil, SFMCjohn and Lastplace ...

Around the campfire on Saturday night ...

We found our way over Mt. Madonna on Sunday ... coffee at Alice's at 5 pm on the way home, and checked out the bikes in the parking lot ... fun.

My KLR shook down well after the engine-transplant ... did a bunch of loops on Happy Valley, where the seat fell off ... bolts fell out, ha. Going to have to Heli-coil the footpeg bolts tomorrow, and then I'll be ready for the Mendo Rally (after a new chain and sprockets and tires) ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #3307
vuganeja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Old hernandez road passable?

A friend and I (both noobs) are considering an early morning run to hollister to ride La Gloria Rd and Hernandez road.

Are those roads worthy of noobs?

I've done La Gloria once and it seems easy. Never done hernandez. north-> south better or other way?

we'll be on two F650s - one single and another twin.

thanks!
vuganeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #3308
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuganeja View Post
Never done hernandez. north-> south better or other way?

Old Hernandez is easier than LaGloria (which can have a lot of silt, but is otherwise easy), but Old Hernandez is closed at the water crossing. You can get around it, but you have to veer onto private property, which might piss off the locals.

Personally, I like to stay on friendly terms with the locals as motorcyclists get enough bad press, but you know how well bikers take to being told what to do...

IIRC, I think the current crossing is best done south to north. When open, doesn't matter.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 04-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #3309
vuganeja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Thanks!

Curt,
thanks for the quick note.

I'd prefer to stay out of trouble too. So if I just wanted to try hernandez to the river crossing, which part would be longer - starting from south or north?

assuming its a county road, a GPS incapable of tracks(just routes) should work right?

Thanks!
vuganeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #3310
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuganeja View Post
Curt,
thanks for the quick note.

I'd prefer to stay out of trouble too. So if I just wanted to try hernandez to the river crossing, which part would be longer - starting from south or north?

assuming its a county road, a GPS incapable of tracks(just routes) should work right?

Thanks!

South to north would be longer. But it would also have 8 miles of pavement before the dirt. It's an easy, pastoral ride.

The road should be on your GPS map, but it might not know of the closure.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #3311
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
I learned a few things this weekend.

A Miata can haul a snow bike with 2 people and gear up to 7000 feet (just barely).

A KTM LC4 can be converted for snow, with some cursing, cutting, and grinding...

And it even works:

Sort of.

When a bike falls downhill into a snowy tree well, it's a bitch to get out. There's not much to grab onto when the handlebar is 2 feet underground and you can't get a foot hold.

Back on the trail. No OHV sticker required Smoky, it's got a plate

Note to self: pick an area with fewer trees next time.

Back on dry land.

--John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #3312
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Back from Baja

Ride Report here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781954

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #3313
mrlarner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
!!

Damn! Didn't think this machine could look any more mean

Quote:
Back on dry land.

--John
mrlarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #3314
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
I put the round rubber things on the KTM and rode through Clear Creek yesterday. It's an awesome time to ride there -- the mud is gone, weather is clear and cool, and the scenery is great. Unfortunately my camera took a dump halfway through so I lost most of my pics in the dirt.

Looking down from Coalinga

San Benito Valley

Cows

Lovin' my new luggage setup. I ditched the steel sub-frame and hard bags for aluminum and a Giant Loop Coyote. I also got the Buckin' Roll tank bag. It's the first tank bag I've used that doesn't flop around and get in your way when standing up. The bed liner on my gas tank seemed to hold up to the straps. I'm very happy with this setup.

This must be a cow's paradise

katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #3315
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Looking good john !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote