ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #3376
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 851
Wow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
we crossed right here !
Hey Just Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to post these great pics ... epic water crossing, I'd have turned around and gone home ... ha.

see you in the parking lot,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #3377
SFMCjohn

ADVers at SFMC Thursday night ...

Adventure Rider folks who showed up last night at the San Francisco Motorcycle Club … Me (SFMCjohn), Nicky (Nixels), Phil (Bicycle Phil), Nicole (Number8teen) and Martin (Wheatwacker) …

We were watching the 1999 Dakar on the TV above our fountain ... Wheatwacker had one of his uber-KLRs parked on the curb with the rest of the motorcycles ... fun to see it ...

Anyway, motorcyclists always welcome at the SFMC on Thursday nights, particularly ADVers and BAARCers ...

See you on the sidewalk,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #3378
lovish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Awesome pics

My Signature

-------------------------------------
One day, I will take it easy. Today won't be that day...
-------------------------------------
lovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #3379
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,694
I'm still thrilled about last night!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #3380
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,520
Dahmit. I had that on my calendar but completely spaced! Now I'm bitter.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #3381
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey Just Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to post these great pics ... epic water crossing, I'd have turned around and gone home ... ha.

see you in the parking lot,
-- SFMCjohn
I just kept saying to myself... don't drop the bike... boots wet is ok...

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #3382
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Stolen while parked outside my office @ 67 E. Evelyn Ave, Mountain View, CA, on 06.04.12 between 6:15pm and 8pm.

CA License plate: 19M9044

the bike has an ADV sticker on the front upper fender, and a SmugMug smiley sticker below the license plate on the rear fender.

Obvious Mods:
* Double Take mirrors on medium size ram arms.
* Cee-Bailey's Tall windscreen, hairline cracks around the upper two mounting holes.
* RAM mount to the left of the triple clamps on the handlebars.
* Touratech Crash Bars & Handguards

not-so-obvious mods
* Touratech license plate frame support, rear luggage latch support
* Power Commander Fuel Nanny thing (under seat)
* wunderlich fog lights. (http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...01/8600520.jpg)

contact me if you see the bike on the street, or posted somewhere for sale. thanks! kaia at kaianine dot com

it's a sad sad evening.
What is the VIN number? I saw a Dakar today in Marin that I have never seen there before! I can ride by on Monday and check it out!

kaia screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 04:23 PM
Tessitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #3383
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:

Stolen while parked outside my office @ 67 E. Evelyn Ave, Mountain View, CA, on 06.04.12 between 6:15pm and 8pm.

CA License plate: 19M9044

the bike has an ADV sticker on the front upper fender, and a SmugMug smiley sticker below the license plate on the rear fender.

Contact me if you see the bike on the street, or posted somewhere for sale. thanks! kaia at kaianine dot com

it's a sad sad evening.
Dude, that sucks big time!!! I'll keep an eye out too!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #3384
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
I saw this paint scheme in Alameda today at Park and Lincoln. Sorry can't offer more though but I agree - you should post the VIN.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #3385
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
I saw this paint scheme in Alameda today at Park and Lincoln. Sorry can't offer more though but I agree - you should post the VIN.
last few of the VIN are: F70676

easiest walk by identifiers: double-take mirrors, and TT footpeg relocation kit (white), missing the left luggage "Peg" (metal peg that sticks up through left rear fairing for bmw hard cases, right near where it says F650GS)

thanks to everyone for keeping an eye out for the bike!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #3386
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,957
found... still unhappy.

Quote:
last few of the VIN are: F70676

easiest walk by identifiers: double-take mirrors, and TT footpeg relocation kit (white), missing the left luggage "Peg" (metal peg that sticks up through left rear fairing for bmw hard cases, right near where it says F650GS)

thanks to everyone for keeping an eye out for the bike!
well - good and bad news... the good news is that the bike was found, nearby in palo alto, sitting outside a gas station. after sitting a few days, the attendant who works the gas station wheeled the bike to his home a few blocks away, searched the internet for the plate #, and found my thread over on barf, and contacted the cops, who then contacted me this morning.

the bad news is that the bike is pretty severely damaged, looks like from a drop or a crash (hard to tell which) on the left side. the handlebars are bent, the front blinker is sheared off, the rear one is broken. the left side mirror is completely gone (broke at the ram-ball-mounting point), the crash bars are scuffed, the left handguard is scuffed as well (on the "top" of the handlebar - how did they manage that?). the left front and rear plastics are scraped, the footpeg is bent, the kickstand "arm" (the part you hook with your foot) is bent completely the wrong way, and the left exhaust (the bmw has these weird dual exhaust thing that's connected in the center under the tail... all one piece) is scraped, bent, dented, and the heat sheild on the exhaust is also scraped pretty badly. and to top it all off... there looks to be a oil leak of some kind on the left side of the engine (the oil light is on, and the engine won't start.

all in all, i'm happy it was found, but unhappy about the damage. from the looks of it, it seems like a complete write off (the cost to fix would exceed the value of the bike), but i'm not the insurance adjuster... who'll be here tomorrow to take a look at it. personally, i since it was stolen, the bike is already "gone" to me... even if the insurance wants to fix it, i'll probably sell it as is and get something else.

thank you to everyone who kept an eye out for it, and to all the well wishes. i've got a whole list of parts that i'll be selling over in the flea market that i no longer need, but i'm going to wait until they confirm or deny the damage claim. if anyone is interested in F650GS/Dakar parts, i've got a gallery going over on SmugMug - i'll post prices later this week, but feel free to contact me via PM in the mean time.

kaia screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 04:18 PM
kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #3387
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,252
Quote:
personally, i since it was stolen, the bike is already "gone" to me... even if the insurance wants to fix it, i'll probably sell it as is and get something else.
This is exactly how I felt and exactly what I did.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #3388
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

Adventure Rider folks who showed up last night at the San Francisco Motorcycle Club … Me (SFMCjohn), Nicky (Nixels), Phil (Bicycle Phil), Nicole (Number8teen) and Martin (Wheatwacker) …

We were watching the 1999 Dakar on the TV above our fountain ... Wheatwacker had one of his uber-KLRs parked on the curb with the rest of the motorcycles ... fun to see it ...

Anyway, motorcyclists always welcome at the SFMC on Thursday nights, particularly ADVers and BAARCers ...

See you on the sidewalk,
-- SFMCjohn
Thanks for the invite SFMCjohn,

I hope to make it there sometime and pick you brain about some trip info. I look forward to meeting you and some other locals.

Jeff G.
iive2ridetahoe
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #3389
SFMCjohn

Moto GP at SFMC ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Thanks for the invite SFMCjohn,

I hope to make it there sometime and pick you brain about some trip info. I look forward to meeting you and some other locals.

Jeff G.
iive2ridetahoe
Hi Jeff G.,

We'd love to see you any Thursday night ... door is usually open at 7 pm ...

And we'll be watching MotoGP on Sunday at 4pm on 6/17 and on Saturday 6/30, also at 4pm ... 18th & Folsom ...

see you at the fountain,
-- John A.
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #3390
SFMCjohn

Sloggin' in the Garage ...

Ever bring a new chain home, only to find the master-link clip had been pilfered? Happened to me today, not for the first time ... ha. That'll teach me to look for it before I leave the store ...

So I worked on the Barbie KLR today, to get ready to go to Bishop, Tonopah and Austin next week ...

I put a new front sprocket on, a rear sprocket and rear brake pads and headlight bracket from the parts bike (trashed the rear sprocket with a $25 chain, and broke the headlight bracket and reduced the pads to metal in Mendo). Fixed the blinkers that needed a new front bulb, which I stole from the poor Harley.

Changed the oil and washed and waxed the bike … My right hand foot-peg bolts are stripped … I was down about a quart of oil … very bad …

And the bike still does not have a chain … I found a rivet-style master link at Scuderria West, and Jenn from Werk Statt said she’d lend me a rivet tool … it turns out the DID520VM chain has been superseded by the 520VX, so it was hard to find a replacement master-link … Cycle Gear didn’t have one, either …

See if I can avoid loosing my footpeg while looking for hot springs and gold fish around Austin ...

We'll be in Brown's Town in Bishop over the weekend and then head out for Austin on the 18th ... Hope to see some BAARC'ers on the trail!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500