ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #3526
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 812
Sierra Loop from San Francisco ...

Well, in the spirit of zeegman, here is a ride idea for BAARC KLR riders ... see if we can keep this old chestnut going ... guess we'll never be a CVDSR or LAADVR thread ... ha.

Cary and I just finished a ten day loop around the Sierras, riding our KLRs out of the garage in Lower Haight ... wanted to see Sherman Pass, the Kern Plateau and hit some hot springs along the Eastern Sierras and then visit Ben Java and home via Sonora Pass ...

Here is a rough map ... google says it is about 1000 miles ...

Buchanan and Haight in the Lower Haight, San Francisco, Monday morning ... that's the building we live in ... city kids, ha.

We took the usual SF - Hayward - Palomares - Corral Hollow route out of town and jumped on I-5 for an exit and then followed J16 through Snelling to Oakhurst, Auberry and Shaver Lake to visit a pal working for the forest service and living on an old homestead off Dinky Creek Road ...

The old homestead cabin up near Shaver Lake ... the foundation logs the cabin sits on are about five feet by five feet ...

Top of Kaiser Pass looking down at Mono Hot Springs and Lake Edison at the north end of the Dusy Ershim OHV trail ...

We spent a couple of days near Shaver Lake, exploring, and then headed south ...

On the way south to Piedra, Elwood Road and the Nazi Pig Farm in Wonder Valley ... we didn't risk snapping a pic of the pig farm truck ...

We spent the night at the Gateway Motel and Restaurant in unit 6 at the southern entrance to Kings Canyon NP, near Three Rivers ... sauna in the room and a private deck next to Middle Fork of the Kaweah River ... had a good dinner at their restaurant ...

The concrete bridge in the background dates from the '30s ...

On south the next day, past the Battle Mountain monument on J37 ...

We were heading to Sherman Pass ... looking down at the Kern River just east of Johnsondale ... we camped near Sherman Pass off Mosquito Rd. ...

The next day we ran into rider914 who was hanging out with the Kennedy Meadows V (Kern Plateau) gang ... on the Monache Jeep Road, and the next day on Nine Mile Canyon ...

He turned us on to a neat meadow campground up around 9000' ...

Nine Mile Canyon:

Why the Kern Plateau is a motorcycle mecca: motorcycle-only single track trails in a national forest! (Sequoia NF)

From here we turned north to begin home ... hot springs and the Alabama Hills ...

Movie Flats in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine/Whitney Portal ...

The old-school pool at Keough Hot Springs ... $8 for a day pass, I think ...

And a pic of one of the free pools to the right and just before Keough Hot Springs ...

Benton Hot Springs ... someday we'll set up a base camp here to do day rides ... lots of great riding around Benton and the campsites each have their own private hot spring ...

We spent the next day heading towards Bridgeport, exploring Lundy and Virginia Lakes, and getting ready to head over Sonora Pass and home ...

Mono Lake ... pumice sand ...

Lundy Lake ...

Ben Java looking good as of 8/29/12 ...

So, there you go ... a nice loop from San Francisco. We were worried about hot weather in late August, but were able to get up in elevation to cooler temps, and the eastern sierra was only in the low 90s in the heat of the day ... and a nice tailwind heading north ...

There are some more pics starting here: http://caryandjohn.wordpress.com/201...d-shaver-lake/

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 04:58 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #3527
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,825
Very nice John!
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #3528
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Looks like a great trip and some familiar places, John!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #3529
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,579
John! That looks like a great time.

Glad you had a late summer fun.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #3530
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Well, in the spirit of zeegman, here is a ride idea for BAARC KLR riders ... see if we can keep this old chestnut going ... guess we'll never be a CVDSR or LAADVR thread ... ha.
We go for quality, not quantity

Got my wife out riding her own bike in city traffic the other day, for the first time. She actually enjoyed it (well, small city traffic, not big SF style). One step at a time, with the goal of doing something like this eventually. Thanks for posting and giving me something to shoot for...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #3531
leo_jb
-

Oddometer: 116
Which would you take?

My buddy and I are planning an early fall trip to Black Rock, NV. He's coming from Oregon, and I'm coming from San Francisco, and Black rock is roughly equidistant. I'd like to take my KTM 990, but I'm wondering if I'd have more fun on my XR400. I'd have to trailer the XR, but would ride the KTM there (more points for taking the KTM). Anyone venture an opinion? Are there a lot of spots where I'd say to myself, "man if only I had the XR". My buddy rides a DR650, but he's pretty conservative.

Thanks in advance

Leo
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #3532
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,213
Awesome trip!!

Cool to see rider914 in the mix. I've been following a RR of his around the western states...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803866

I'd still like to meet up with you guys if the invite is still open at the SFMCC on Thursdays. Would love to hear the stories...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #3533
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Very nice John!
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Looks like a great trip and some familiar places, John!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post
John! That looks like a great time.

Glad you had a late summer fun.
Hey Ian408, larryboy and Nixels,
Thanks for posting! We especially loved Benton Hot Springs ... Want to do some more riding there, soon ...
See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #3534
SFMCjohn

Quality, not Quantity ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
We go for quality, not quantity

Got my wife out riding her own bike in city traffic the other day, for the first time. She actually enjoyed it (well, small city traffic, not big SF style). One step at a time, with the goal of doing something like this eventually. Thanks for posting and giving me something to shoot for...
Hi HardWorkingDog,
Congrats to your wife on riding her own bike! So cool ...
I have to work on being flexible when I ride with Cary, because she likes a bit of luxury on our trips (like a shower ... ha.) For example, I really enjoyed Keough Hot Springs, but would never think to go there myself ...
Looking forward to seeing a trip report from you and the wife ...
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #3535
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
My buddy and I are planning an early fall trip to Black Rock, NV. He's coming from Oregon, and I'm coming from San Francisco, and Black rock is roughly equidistant. I'd like to take my KTM 990, but I'm wondering if I'd have more fun on my XR400. I'd have to trailer the XR, but would ride the KTM there (more points for taking the KTM). Anyone venture an opinion? Are there a lot of spots where I'd say to myself, "man if only I had the XR". My buddy rides a DR650, but he's pretty conservative.

Thanks in advance

Leo

Well, trailers are for boats, but on the other hand the 400 would probably be a lot more fun up there.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #3536
SFMCjohn

Motorcyclists always welcome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Awesome trip!!

Cool to see rider914 in the mix. I've been following a RR of his around the western states...

I'd still like to meet up with you guys if the invite is still open at the SFMCC on Thursdays. Would love to hear the stories...

JG
Hi live2ridetahoe,
We'd love to see you any Thursday night, and anyone reading this is welcome, too ... We have a clubhouse that's full of old photos and bikes and a fountain that serves anything a motorcyclist may wish to quaff ... Folsom and 18th Street ...

I had been reading rider914's Wandering Wound da West thread too, so it was fun to see Matt on the trail ... We were actually having a bit of a yardsale when he came upon us, bulldogging our KLRs back up the trail, and he stopped to make sure we got ourselves extracted, and was generous with his knowledge of the area ... Just the best sort of ADVer, takes cool trips, great photos, posts RRs and is nice to noobs ...

rider914 on Nine Mile Canyon ...

See you at the fountain,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 08:20 AM
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #3537
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post

Thanks in advance

Leo
Hi Leo,
Hopefully someone else will chime in, but this thread has been a bit quiet, recently ... Anyway, lots of great riding between SF and Black Rock ... Take the KTM!

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #3538
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Awesome trip!!

JG

Rider 914 gets around we spotted him on our Idaho trip and we shared a beer and chatted a bit... Great guy !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #3539
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hi Leo,
Hopefully someone else will chime in, but this thread has been a bit quiet, recently ... Anyway, lots of great riding between SF and Black Rock ... Take the KTM!

-- SFMCjohn
+1 KTM ... its desert riding at its finest !

just make sure you bring enough gas... those KTM's are THIRSTY !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #3540
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 536
KTM Rally

Just checking in on who is going up to the KTM Rally in Bend and what routes people are taking.

I am looking to enter the Sierras somewhere between Marysville and Chico then exit towards Lava Tubes or Goose Lake. I've looked at La Porte, Oroville -Quincy, 70 and 32 as routes up. Then 89 north through Lassen heading past Medicine Lake to Lava Tubes.

I've also looked at heading from Lake Almanor over towards Susanville then heading up the east side.

Back country roads, gravel, dirt, two tracks, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote