ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #3541
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
Just checking in on who is going up to the KTM Rally in Bend and what routes people are taking.

I am looking to enter the Sierras somewhere between Marysville and Chico then exit towards Lava Tubes or Goose Lake. I've looked at La Porte, Oroville -Quincy, 70 and 32 as routes up. Then 89 north through Lassen heading past Medicine Lake to Lava Tubes.

I've also looked at heading from Lake Almanor over towards Susanville then heading up the east side.

Back country roads, gravel, dirt, two tracks, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike, Cain and I are trailering up... See you there !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #3542
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
Just checking in on who is going up to the KTM Rally in Bend and what routes people are taking.

I am looking to enter the Sierras somewhere between Marysville and Chico then exit towards Lava Tubes or Goose Lake. I've looked at La Porte, Oroville -Quincy, 70 and 32 as routes up. Then 89 north through Lassen heading past Medicine Lake to Lava Tubes.

I've also looked at heading from Lake Almanor over towards Susanville then heading up the east side.

Back country roads, gravel, dirt, two tracks, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I met a guy at a traffic light tonight in Walnut Creek who said he was going up. He was on a 990 Adventure. I never did catch his name, but he said that he just got back from a Nevada trip with 11 guys. Sounds like fun.. both the rally and the Nevada trip.

Any idea who this rider was? I was on a 800XC. Seemed like a cool dude.

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #3543
TaxMan

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
My buddy and I are planning an early fall trip to Black Rock, NV. He's coming from Oregon, and I'm coming from San Francisco, and Black rock is roughly equidistant. I'd like to take my KTM 990, but I'm wondering if I'd have more fun on my XR400. I'd have to trailer the XR, but would ride the KTM there (more points for taking the KTM). Anyone venture an opinion? Are there a lot of spots where I'd say to myself, "man if only I had the XR". My buddy rides a DR650, but he's pretty conservative.

Thanks in advance

Leo
I'd say it depends on whether or not you'll be staying in the valleys or going up and down the hills. I think the valleys are big bike friendly, even in the washouts, and you'd have a good time on the 990. If you're planning on getting up in the hills, some of it is very steep and washed out. I struggled on the road to and from Knott Creek Reservoir on my 640A while the guys on trailer-ed in 400s didn't have as much trouble. Only got stuck once going up, but coming down was the real challenge with many a pucker moment. The guy who didn't have any trouble at all was on a 250 :).

Beautiful country, though. You'll have a blast regardless of the bike.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #3544
leo_jb
-

Oddometer: 116
Thanks to all for the feedback regarding my upcoming trip to Nevada. As of today I'm leaning towards taking my XR400. Been wiring up a GPS, and have a new Dunlop 606 awaiting installation on the rear.
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #3545
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 303
When are you departing?
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #3546
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigDaddy View Post
When are you departing?

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #3547
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Wicked Deer Valley Trl

Somehow we got ourselves into this lovely yet challenging rock garden. Man I wish I had been on the XR, but the 990 does eat this up with that long S suspension. It's just that 500 pound part that can be a bit hostile...

Full report here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827059
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3548
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Natethepostman in Oakland on Weds Dorothy the Postbike!

Nathan M. "Natethepostman" has his book in our Oakland MC moto book library. He wrote about his travels from Sydney to London in 2009 and He went through a couple of "Stans" and the Asian islands and all of that. It's a good book and he's pretty funny. Now, that same posty motorbike, a 105cc bike, is here in the USA making its way from NY to SF. Currently, it's in the Grand Canyon or maybe Las Vegas or L.A. He arrives in the SF area on Tues.

On Weds he will speak at the Oakland Motorcycle Club and have a "tell" of his travels. I'll make some spaghetti and when it is gone. I'll start serving at 7:00. We will have refreshments for cheap and you'll have a chance to check out our club hall. We will have a short meeting and give him time to talk about his travels. Why next Weds? He's got to go back to NY to fly back to England.

Please check out the website for directions to our club. Googlemaps and your gps are probably wrong due to the permanent changes to the 880 freeway. Dinner is at 7pm. We'll have a short meeting starting at 8pm to make time for Nate to tell us about his travels.

Please let me know if you are going so I can try to make enough. Please do it in this thread so I can count heads in one thread. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

Also, the Oakland Motorcycle Club Jackhammer Enduro has been canceled but there is a work party at Davis Flats for the same weekend. PM me if you want to know more how you can volunteer to help the Mendocino NF clean up after the fires on the weekend of Oct 21st. No heavy equipment needed. Bring gloves, work clothes and boots and eye protection. I think the camping is free for work volunteers. Probably a little bonfire party to follow after a hearty day of work.

Hope you can make it, fine folks!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #3549
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
Nathan M. "Natethepostman" has his book in our Oakland MC moto book library. He wrote about his travels from Sydney to London in 2009 and He went through a couple of "Stans" and the Asian islands and all of that. It's a good book and he's pretty funny. Now, that same posty motorbike, a 105cc bike, is here in the USA making its way from NY to SF. Currently, it's in the Grand Canyon or maybe Las Vegas or L.A. He arrives in the SF area on Tues.

On Weds he will speak at the Oakland Motorcycle Club and have a "tell" of his travels. I'll make some spaghetti and when it is gone. I'll start serving at 7:00. We will have refreshments for cheap and you'll have a chance to check out our club hall. We will have a short meeting and give him time to talk about his travels. Why next Weds? He's got to go back to NY to fly back to England.

Please check out the website for directions to our club. Googlemaps and your gps are probably wrong due to the permanent changes to the 880 freeway. Dinner is at 7pm. We'll have a short meeting starting at 8pm to make time for Nate to tell us about his travels.

Please let me know if you are going so I can try to make enough. Please do it in this thread so I can count heads in one thread. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

Also, the Oakland Motorcycle Club Jackhammer Enduro has been canceled but there is a work party at Davis Flats for the same weekend. PM me if you want to know more how you can volunteer to help the Mendocino NF clean up after the fires on the weekend of Oct 21st. No heavy equipment needed. Bring gloves, work clothes and boots and eye protection. I think the camping is free for work volunteers. Probably a little bonfire party to follow after a hearty day of work.

Hope you can make it, fine folks!
thanks for sending this.... see you on wed !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #3550
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Deer Valley Trail

That's an awesome trail. I've done that one before......in my JEEP WRANGLER!! haha yeh, definitely a rock crawling trail.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #3551
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

A few pics from the KTM Rally this weekend

Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #3552
motoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Sf to cabo oct 2012

HOLA, my neighbor and i are planing a trip to Baja for two weeks or so, we will ride both off road and pavement also, we will be riding a ktm 990 adv and a ktm 640 adv, if anyone want to come alone is welcome, if interested send me a message i we can talk abt the detail of the trip.

N.
motoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #3553
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 812
nathanthepostman ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
Nathan M. "Natethepostman" will speak at the Oakland Motorcycle Club and have a "tell" of his travels.
Hi Super Suz,

Thanks for inviting Nathan to speak at the OMC, and for inviting us to attend; we loved his talk and your food was great!

Nathan after riding 600 miles in 36 hours from Death Valley to get to the OMC in time to speak at their Wednesday night meeting ...

The patch Nathan wears while riding his "postie" ...

Nathan was so popular at the OMC, he was invited to attend the SFMC's meeting the next night, in what turned out to be a well attended audience to hear about Dot's exploits ...

Some pics of the 2004 Honda CT 105 that Nathan has ridden through 19 countries, here: http://caryandjohn.wordpress.com/201...hanthepostman/

Between the OMC and the SFMC we passed a hat and raised a bunch of money for Nathan's "Ship-Dot-Home" fund, or "The Dot Rebuild Fund."

Thanks again to Super Suz and to OMC!
see you at the fountain,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #3554
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Hi Paul,
OK, this didn't look good ... what happened?
see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #3555
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Red neck hunting? I would use a buick roadmaster my self but hey it a ford. hmmmm road kill
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote