ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #3751
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
Sounds like there are a number of us who want to ride the Summit road area.
Please post up here so we can plan a ride.
I am in Tahoe now when I get back will try and post up a nice comfortable ride.
I also like to ride with respect to property and keeping the noise and dust down. Being retired helps for picking days but I don't ride like I use too.
Hope this develops into some rides and meet ups.
I ride an FJR and vstrom 650. Live in Gilroy.
Roger
Please be respectful of private property while riding up there. If you're
going around closed gates you are riding on privately maintained property,
you've left the county maintained roads behind.

Be forewarned that residents on those gated stretches can and will detain
you and charge you with trespassing.

As a 53 year old born and raised resident of Corralitos I'm just giving you my take on it.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #3752
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Please be respectful of private property while riding up there. If you're
going around closed gates you are riding on privately maintained property,
you've left the county maintained roads behind.

Be forewarned that residents on those gated stretches can and will detain
you and charge you with trespassing.

As a 53 year old born and raised resident of Corralitos I'm just giving you my take on it.
Just curious, how would those residents detain you?

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think it would be lawful on their part to detain you by force (i.e. using a gun, physically grabbing and holding you, or disabling your vehicle). Would it?
__________________
FS: 2009 BMW R1200GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, (former) WERA/CCS EX # 666, AMA Life Member, Drummer, Bassist
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #3753
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!
 
Roadracer_Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Just curious, how would those residents detain you?

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think it would be lawful on their part to detain you by force (i.e. using a gun, physically grabbing and holding you, or disabling your vehicle). Would it?
Since when has that stopped anyone?
__________________
When they say Harleys are for 1%ers, I don't think they mean guys who sell crank and get in bar fights any more.
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #3754
dman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Be forewarned that residents on those gated stretches can and will detain you and charge you with trespassing.
I don't think there's any discussion of going around closed gates. But open gates and private road signs on Summit Rd specifically, seem different than closed gates. I have never seen the gate closed at the north end of Summit, but in years gone by it always seemed closed at the south end.

Speaking of closed gates, normally Buzzard Lagoon would be closed at this time of year, but since there's been so little rain, does anyone know if it's open?

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #3755
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I don't think there's any discussion of going around closed gates. But open gates and private road signs on Summit Rd specifically, seem different than closed gates. I have never seen the gate closed at the north end of Summit, but in years gone by it always seemed closed at the south end.

Speaking of closed gates, normally Buzzard Lagoon would be closed at this time of year, but since there's been so little rain, does anyone know if it's open?

-dman
I've never seen either Summit gate closed. Not that I ride it that often...

Sometimes they close the Buzzard Lagoon gate in off season, sometimes not. I always figured if the gate was open, it was ok to ride. The sign does say "MAY be closed" IIRC.
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak MNB Touring Edition
2009 BMW F800GS
2011 Husqvarna TE310 - 2003 Husqvarna TE610e
2007 HD Road King FLHR
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #3756
dman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
Sometimes they close the Buzzard Lagoon gate in off season, sometimes not. I always figured if the gate was open, it was ok to ride. The sign does say "MAY be closed" IIRC.
Buzzard Lagoon is a public road. If the gate is closed, one should not try to go around ... stay legal and "Tread Lightly" to avoid road damage (and I'm a county resident and taxpayer and I'd rather they clean up homeless camps or arrest meth dealers than spend money on maintaining that road). But the jury's out on legality of public right of way on Summit. I just found a YouTube video ostensibly by a Summit Rd landowner which states that the right to restrict traffic has been waived by people leaving the gate open ... hence it's a de facto public right of way.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #3757
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,841
Summit road is usually not a problem. Loma Chiquita rd, Loma Prieta rd,
Cathemola rd have closed gates and are private. Sure, you can ride away
if you're flagged down but they can get your license plate #.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #3758
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Summit road is usually not a problem. Loma Chiquita rd, Loma Prieta rd,
Cathemola rd have closed gates and are private. Sure, you can ride away
if you're flagged down but they can get your license plate #.
won't hold up... cop didn't witness.



W/re summit... The county made the road. The only ppl claiming it's private are homeowners there that are stuck with maintaining it - the county doesn't. But that doesn't mean right of easement no longer applies...

On the other hand, I ride it respectfully. I don't kick up lots of dust and if I see any traffic, I slow down, especially pedestrians or equestrians. I always smile and wave. Spread the love...
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak MNB Touring Edition
2009 BMW F800GS
2011 Husqvarna TE310 - 2003 Husqvarna TE610e
2007 HD Road King FLHR
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #3759
leo_jb
-
 
leo_jb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 134
I rode Buzzard Lagoon a couple of weeks ago and the gate was open. Some scary areas back there. Kept hearing the Dueling Banjo song from Deliverance in my head.
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #3760
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
I rode Buzzard Lagoon a couple of weeks ago and the gate was open. Some scary areas back there. Kept hearing the Dueling Banjo song from Deliverance in my head.
Squeal like a pig!
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak MNB Touring Edition
2009 BMW F800GS
2011 Husqvarna TE310 - 2003 Husqvarna TE610e
2007 HD Road King FLHR
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #3761
jraugie1
How hard can it be?
 
jraugie1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Too close to Philadelphia
Oddometer: 606
Summit Rd

I live just off Summit and I have been down all the roads mentioned here without problems. The locals are cool as long as you aren't riding like its Baja. Slow way down for horses and pedestrians, don't get nosy with the local "growers". The only locked gate I hit was at the bottom of Uvas. It is not the most exciting roads but the scenery is great and the air is clean. All good baby. Come on up!
__________________
jraugie1 searching for truth and chocolate
Triumph Sprint ST, DR-Z400S
I go way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Stop Global Whining!
jraugie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #3762
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer
 
chrish4ku's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: San Leandro, CA
Oddometer: 868
Clean air - - - I'd be kind, slow, and wave my hand like the queen for that....
__________________
_______________________
Chris
I don't normally ride on the street,,,but when I do,,I prefer lane splitting.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #3763
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraugie1 View Post
I live just off Summit and I have been down all the roads mentioned here without problems. The locals are cool as long as you aren't riding like its Baja. Slow way down for horses and pedestrians, don't get nosy with the local "growers". The only locked gate I hit was at the bottom of Uvas. It is not the most exciting roads but the scenery is great and the air is clean. All good baby. Come on up!
Please PM me your name to drop if I get stopped.....
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #3764
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer
 
wsmc831's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
won't hold up... cop didn't witness.



W/re summit... The county made the road. The only ppl claiming it's private are homeowners there that are stuck with maintaining it - the county doesn't. But that doesn't mean right of easement no longer applies...

On the other hand, I ride it respectfully. I don't kick up lots of dust and if I see any traffic, I slow down, especially pedestrians or equestrians. I always smile and wave. Spread the love...
I checked with Santa Cruz county, that part of summit is most definitely private. Even Verizon had to get permission to drive/work up there....
__________________
97 TL1000S
2010 690 EnduroR
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #3765
ian408
Oh?
 
ian408's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 14,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
I checked with Santa Cruz county, that part of summit is most definitely private. Even Verizon had to get permission to drive/work up there....
Isn't there a statute that allows public utilities an easement to private property in order to service their equipment?
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015