ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #4006
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer
 
oldxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: central komifornia
Oddometer: 1,063
I ride up in that area sometimes-its not too far from Modesto.If anybody wants to ride send me a pm.The road into Leavitt Lake is actually part of the Pacific Crest hiking trail.If you walk up the hill on the road from the lake the marines train on an ice slope in the summer up there above the lake.The road above the lake used to be open about 3 or 4 miles more.I went in there last october and found out that sometimes it is illegal to have campfires at the lake because of fire danger.You have to check on the Toyabee National Forest website.There is a road about 1/2 mile east of the crest of Sonora Pass the runs toward Walker or comes back to hwy 108 through the front gate of the marine base.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #4007
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
hey john and cary. great job getting out, up and away; very cool pics (and literally cool)....
Hey Joel, thanks for posting!
Enjoyed your solo KTM 350 report from Mamouth:



Plan to learn to pack the KLR lighter, and follow in your footsteps!

God bless Huell Howser!

see you on the trail,
-- SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Uh oh, I'd better get up there!!

Put Donnell Lake on your list.

Hi larryboy!

Wow, cool dam ... much cooler than the dirt dam at Beardsley Res ...
Thanks for the tip, definitely going to try to find Donnell Lake ... only just
stopped at the overlook on 108 for the first time thanks to a tip from you ... funny
how I can ride by this stuff for years heading someplace else ...

Labor Day!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
I ride up in that area sometimes-its not too far from Modesto.If anybody wants to ride send me a pm.The road into Leavitt Lake is actually part of the Pacific Crest hiking trail.If you walk up the hill on the road from the lake the marines train on an ice slope in the summer up there above the lake.The road above the lake used to be open about 3 or 4 miles more.I went in there last october and found out that sometimes it is illegal to have campfires at the lake because of fire danger.You have to check on the Toyabee National Forest website.There is a road about 1/2 mile east of the crest of Sonora Pass the runs toward Walker or comes back to hwy 108 through the front gate of the marine base.
Hi oldxr,

I'll try to remember to send you a pm next time we're camping up there ... it was fun to meet up with our friend Ryan around the campsite ... I'd say campfire, but we could not find any wood [easily] at Leavitt Lake, so we went without a fire ... which was fine, although I usually enjoy a campfire ... Thanks for the tip about the road to the Marine Base ...

see you around the cold fire-ring,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
A Small Wedding ADVenture; My BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:06 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #4008
dman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post

... but I've never seen a cop on Pinehurst (and I've ridden it a lot) ...
I used to ride Pinehurst a couple times a week for a few years, and I got waved down by a cop once. Oh, I think it was in 1976 or '77 ... back in those days the speed limit on Redwood Rd was 55 (ie basic speed law) from the golf course in Castro Valley to just south of Pinehurst. And there was no double line either.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #4009
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Hollister, CA
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
I ride up in that area sometimes-its not too far from Modesto.If anybody wants to ride send me a pm.The road into Leavitt Lake is actually part of the Pacific Crest hiking trail.If you walk up the hill on the road from the lake the marines train on an ice slope in the summer up there above the lake.The road above the lake used to be open about 3 or 4 miles more.I went in there last october and found out that sometimes it is illegal to have campfires at the lake because of fire danger.You have to check on the Toyabee National Forest website.There is a road about 1/2 mile east of the crest of Sonora Pass the runs toward Walker or comes back to hwy 108 through the front gate of the marine base.
Sounds like a fun ride. I would be up for it if no projects are going on (wife stuff)
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #4010
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Wow, cool dam ... much cooler than the dirt dam at Beardsley Res ...
Thanks for the tip, definitely going to try to find Donnell Lake
The route map on the bottom of this page http://smbc.snafu.org/trips/2012/0810-gs/ shows the path to the south end of Donnell lake. We hit a locked gate at the spur off of 5N06 and decided to go back to 5N06 and continue on to 108. Nope... that section of road was a bit much for dirt n00bs on big GSs. So instead we backtracked to Hells Half Acre.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #4011
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
The route map on the bottom of this page http://smbc.snafu.org/trips/2012/0810-gs/ shows the path to the south end of Donnell lake. We hit a locked gate at the spur off of 5N06 and decided to go back to 5N06 and continue on to 108. Nope... that section of road was a bit much for dirt n00bs on big GSs. So instead we backtracked to Hells Half Acre.
Hi marchyman,

Cool map and website ... the Sunday Morning Breakfast Club sounds like a fun group!



Here is a screen shot of your map ... looking forward to getting back up there to explore some more ...

thanks for the route tips ...
see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
A Small Wedding ADVenture; My BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #4012
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer
 
oldxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: central komifornia
Oddometer: 1,063
More info-Kennedy Meadows is at the base of Sonora Pass ,There is a restaurant there that makes a good breakfast.There is a large paved parking lot that is a good place to unload the light dual sport/KTM kind of bike+ cabin rentals if you are not on the klr budget.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #4013
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Oddometer: 6,029
Hey guys/gals, Wild Wings Wednesday at Buffalo Wild Wings at west valley Mall is tomorrow. Come eat wings and have some of what you spend goes to local kids with Cystic Fibrosis. Would love to see a Bunch of ADV bikes out there tomorrow. Please come on out.
__________________
Speed bumps never seem to make me go any faster
Qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #4014
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Oddometer: 6,029
Headed for Buffalo Wild Wings. Hope to see some of you there.
__________________
Speed bumps never seem to make me go any faster
Qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #4015
Lonestar2112
scatology expert
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,409
Browneye and I are going to be invading the Monday after Laguna Seca. We figured on doing a couple of days of street riding in the area north of Monterrey and south of SF. Beside the squigly lines on the maps are their any hidden jewels that we need to hit? Are there any places the we "have to" eat at? We are not familiar with the area and looking for some quick gouge. We are looking to stay near the coast and stay cool. That is not to say that we would not entertain a trip inland for a worthy cause.

Thanks!
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...SKgzdmS9ir0XK3

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #4016
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Browneye and I are going to be invading the Monday after Laguna Seca. We figured on doing a couple of days of street riding in the area north of Monterrey and south of SF. Beside the squigly lines on the maps are their any hidden jewels that we need to hit? Are there any places the we "have to" eat at? We are not familiar with the area and looking for some quick gouge. We are looking to stay near the coast and stay cool. That is not to say that we would not entertain a trip inland for a worthy cause.

Thanks!
Alice's on a weekend is a must. Hwys 35 and 84 at the top of the SC Mtns.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #4017
Lonestar2112
scatology expert
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,409
How crazy are we if we take Rt 1 from Monterey to Pacifica and then take 35 south, then 92 (yes I know it is a nasty road), hook back up with the 35 and follow it to the 9 then to the 236. We have reservations Monday night in Big Basin SP.

I am also looking for a good way to head out of there on Tuesday and get as far south as just north of Hearst Castle. How is Bear creek to Highland Way to Eureka Canyon, then thread our way through Watsonville back to Rt and then south?
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...SKgzdmS9ir0XK3

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #4018
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
How crazy are we if we take Rt 1 from Monterey to Pacifica and then take 35 south, then 92 (yes I know it is a nasty road), hook back up with the 35 and follow it to the 9 then to the 236. We have reservations Monday night in Big Basin SP.

I am also looking for a good way to head out of there on Tuesday and get as far south as just north of Hearst Castle. How is Bear creek to Highland Way to Eureka Canyon, then thread our way through Watsonville back to Rt and then south?
Perfect routes all- given that you know 92 sucks. The smell of the redwoods heading down 35 rocks, 9 is a throwaway with the number of squids, but still cool. 236 is go straight to jail fun as is Bear Creek, but in both cases, mind the cagers in blind corners.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #4019
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
How crazy are we if we take Rt 1 from Monterey to Pacifica and then take 35 south, then 92 (yes I know it is a nasty road), hook back up with the 35 and follow it to the 9 then to the 236. We have reservations Monday night in Big Basin SP.

I am also looking for a good way to head out of there on Tuesday and get as far south as just north of Hearst Castle. How is Bear creek to Highland Way to Eureka Canyon, then thread our way through Watsonville back to Rt and then south?
I don't see the point in going north of Half Moon Bay on 1 only to double back at Pacifica. The road/view is nothing special there.

Highland/Eureka Canyon is very goaty. Sometimes washed out, but it should be fine now. Definitely not a smooth ride, though. Enjoyable, if you're into that kind of road.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #4020
ian408
Oh?
 
ian408's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 13,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I am also looking for a good way to head out of there on Tuesday and get as far south as just north of Hearst Castle. How is Bear creek to Highland Way to Eureka Canyon, then thread our way through Watsonville back to Rt and then south?
This works. If you'd like a spot to stop for a slice of pie, then look up Gizzdich Ranch. If you like pie, it'd be a spot to stop ;)
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014