ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #4156
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda20 View Post
Thanks guys for the tips. We almost put down a deposit on a house in willow glen (san jose) and after sleeping on it we decided that it was insane to spend that much money on rent, deposit etc. on a house with appliances built long long ago. quality of life goes down with that kind of commitment.
We are going to hotel it next week and either get lucky and find a place or rent an apartment on a short term lease and keep hunting.
Hitting the highway fri.
Willow Glen is pretty high roller (one of the areas we'll be looking to buy). Maybe try Campbell or sometimes some stuff comes up in Los Gatos (wish we could afford Los Gatos).
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #4157
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Willow Glen is pretty high roller (one of the areas we'll be looking to buy). Maybe try Campbell or sometimes some stuff comes up in Los Gatos (wish we could afford Los Gatos).
The thing about Willow Glen is the houses are small and the streets narrow. Plus it's crazy popular. Some of the things I do like about it are it's a very neighborhood oriented place and there's all sorts of stuff within walking distance. Sadly, it's still San Jose.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #4158
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
The thing about Willow Glen is the houses are small and the streets narrow. Plus it's crazy popular. Some of the things I do like about it are it's a very neighborhood oriented place and there's all sorts of stuff within walking distance. Sadly, it's still San Jose.
Yup, stop gap until we have to be in a school district. Just about anywhere is better than where we are. Well, except for Stockton...
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #4159
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Thanks guys for the tips. We almost put down a deposit on a house in willow glen (san jose) and after sleeping on it we decided that it was insane to spend that much money on rent, deposit etc. on a house with appliances built long long ago. quality of life goes down with that kind of commitment.
Were you looking at an Eichler?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #4160
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
San jose for work. 45 minutes at most for a commute.
Where in San Jose? San Jose is huge .... it can take over an hour to go from one end to another in rush hour, worse than many commutes from elsewhere into SJ. I live in Santa Cruz (city) and I'm commuting again ... to 880/Montague and it's tolerable, but from the Summit area of the Santa Cruz Mtns to west San Jose would be an easy commute.

Housing prices here are mostly about school districts (which bear no relation to city boundaries) ... so two areas with identical quality of life if you don't have kids (or have grown kids) can have very different housing costs.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #4161
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Repost from ADV designs Open House Today

OK, so this one is worth posting again - Today was a fun day.

1. Man wins prizes
2. Woman doesn't look impressed cause she just spent money on the same stuff.

Afterwards, we all went back and saw some mechanical genius....

oh and we had good BBQ too. Funny how we all gathered round the garage, but I think that's just fine....

Canadians tell some really great stories about people and long rides.

A mini ride report I guess??
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #4162
roamtheglobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Death Valley and beyond, 10/20ish

I will be heading down (from SF) to Death Valley, probably via Sonora pass and some exploring in the White mtns. Taking about 10 days with a buddy. I will be on my KTM 950SE, he will be on his KLR. We both want to do as much dirt as possible. Exploring, adventuring, camping... There is a slight chance for Baja, or Nevada.
Let me know if you are interested in joining.
Leaving SF sometime between the 17th and 20th of this month.
Cheers,
Bill
roamtheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #4163
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
@Roamtheglobe. I was thinking a 3-5day ride would be manageable for me. Sounds like fun. I'd join up in DV or baja if its an open invite. Do you have a gpx or rendezvous ?

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #4164
roamtheglobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
@Roamtheglobe. I was thinking a 3-5day ride would be manageable for me. Sounds like fun. I'd join up in DV or baja if its an open invite. Do you have a gpx or rendezvous ?
Don't have anything written in stone yet, but have been looking around on this link for some good ideas... http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?...m=terrain&a=OD
It's an open invite, just would ask that anyone who wants to join has some decent dirt experience, and if not- is cool with with splitting up at times...
Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #4165
fredsters_s
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamtheglobe View Post
Don't have anything written in stone yet, but have been looking around on this link for some good ideas... http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?...m=terrain&a=OD
It's an open invite, just would ask that anyone who wants to join has some decent dirt experience, and if not- is cool with with splitting up at times...
If you start on a thursday eve / fri morn I'd be super down to do the first 4 days with you. Lots of fun trails around here.
fredsters_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #4166
roamtheglobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds good, will keep you guys posted on departure date, etc...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #4167
motoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
[Got it bill, this is Nico.

QUOTE=roamtheglobe;22491937]I will be heading down (from SF) to Death Valley, probably via Sonora pass and some exploring in the White mtns. Taking about 10 days with a buddy. I will be on my KTM 950SE, he will be on his KLR. We both want to do as much dirt as possible. Exploring, adventuring, camping... There is a slight chance for Baja, or Nevada.
Let me know if you are interested in joining.
Leaving SF sometime between the 17th and 20th of this month.
Cheers,
Bill
[/QUOTE]
motoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4168
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamtheglobe View Post
Sounds good, will keep you guys posted on departure date, etc...
My buddy and I are seriously interested in a Baja dirt ride for a week if you're up for going that far south. DV would be good too, just not sure what the conditions are now with the flood damage and NP closures likely delaying repairs - not even sure that any of that matters. But I haven't looked into it at all to verify. As far as experience goes, I'll try anything that someone on a 690E should. I'm not the guy holding people up . My buddy's been riding forever - he's on an SE.

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #4169
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

Now we live basically in the Central Fail and I work from home. This area SUCKS, so I'd stay away from most of the East Bay and as was mentioned, work south if the budget constrains you.
Is that the Central Valley? Davis is a decent town, if you don't mind the heat, but its a long ways from big city stuff.

If you have to live in the Bay Area, and you are not hi tech its best to pick a spot and try it out. I recommend living as close to your work as possible, but sometimes the cost of living is just too high and you have to drive some.

There are fancy areas that are quiet with good schools (Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos, Monte Sereno, Palo Alto, etc.) but they are ridiculously expensive (Saragota >$2mil median home price) and the good schools are not perfect (Palo Alto supposedly has a "date rape culture").

There are cheap areas that are not quiet and don't have good schools (East Palo Alto, parts of central San Jose, east San Jose, Alviso (north San Jose), but they can be pretty sketchy, and a kid with native language skills and good upbringing (reading books and such) it can get pretty boring in a standard classroom curriculum school (Montessori would fix that but they are not common).

And there are sleeper areas here and there that are a mixture, like parts of Fremont (Niles District), Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and San Jose. We bought a place in the Japantown district of San Jose a month ago. We like the area, tolerate the urban aspects, but didn't have a good feel for this until living in the area for years (rented in this district, other parts of San Jose, Santa Clara).

Here are two good services for finding a rental:

https://www.padmapper.com/
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/

Rental prices are about as high as buying something so it makes no sense to do this for long if you have a down payment. Buying a decent house takes time (took us over a year to find one we wanted, in our price range, that was not being mobbed by investors etc.) so you should invest some time in it. If you are having trouble competing with investors you can try this:

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2013/0...-foreclosures/

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #4170
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Spot friggin' on right here. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Is that the Central Valley? Davis is a decent town, if you don't mind the heat, but its a long ways from big city stuff.

If you have to live in the Bay Area, and you are not hi tech its best to pick a spot and try it out. I recommend living as close to your work as possible, but sometimes the cost of living is just too high and you have to drive some.

There are fancy areas that are quiet with good schools (Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos, Monte Sereno, Palo Alto, etc.) but they are ridiculously expensive (Saragota >$2mil median home price) and the good schools are not perfect (Palo Alto supposedly has a "date rape culture").

There are cheap areas that are not quiet and don't have good schools (East Palo Alto, parts of central San Jose, east San Jose, Alviso (north San Jose), but they can be pretty sketchy, and a kid with native language skills and good upbringing (reading books and such) it can get pretty boring in a standard classroom curriculum school (Montessori would fix that but they are not common).

And there are sleeper areas here and there that are a mixture, like parts of Fremont (Niles District), Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and San Jose. We bought a place in the Japantown district of San Jose a month ago. We like the area, tolerate the urban aspects, but didn't have a good feel for this until living in the area for years (rented in this district, other parts of San Jose, Santa Clara).

Here are two good services for finding a rental:

https://www.padmapper.com/
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/

Rental prices are about as high as buying something so it makes no sense to do this for long if you have a down payment. Buying a decent house takes time (took us over a year to find one we wanted, in our price range, that was not being mobbed by investors etc.) so you should invest some time in it. If you are having trouble competing with investors you can try this:

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2013/0...-foreclosures/