ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #4156
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I remember reading here about camping near Mercey Hot Springs.
I have been searching and found a couple areas out near Clear Creek on Coalinga Road but found nothing on Little Panoche Road.
Any help would be great.
Thanks, Ken
woodsxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #4157
honda20
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Didn't happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda20 View Post
Thanks for the welcome note. Just crossing my fingers we find a place this weekend. Headed out tomorrow.
We did find some places to live but none that struck the chord of home. If anybody has any rental property in south bay let me know. We're getting down to the knitty gritty. We both make a descent wage just looking for something reasonable. MAN THIS AREA IS TOUGH for rentals.
honda20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #4158
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We did find some places to live but none that struck the chord of home. If anybody has any rental property in south bay let me know. We're getting down to the knitty gritty. We both make a descent wage just looking for something reasonable. MAN THIS AREA IS TOUGH for rentals.
Where will you be working and how much of a commute are you willing to do?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #4159
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 3,982
Quote:
Yeah, we're about to buy. Think how we feel. And we both make a decent living as well.

If it wasn't for all the cool places to see and things to do, I'd be out of CA except to visit NOW!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #4160
honda20
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Where will you be working and how much of a commute are you willing to do?
San jose for work. 45 minutes at most for a commute.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #4161
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You can go as far south as Gilroy. for under 45 minutes.
I am in Hollister and commute to North San Jose near Montague and Hwy 880.
48 minutes to work using the commuter lane and approx 55 minutes home
That is with starting work at 6:30 am
Good luck with your search
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #4162
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
I think I'd focus on your budget. Depending on where your office(s) is(are), I'd be more focused on what you can afford in that area and work your way out. 45 mins is a pretty standard commute unless you ride a bicycle, make a mint, or are proficient at lane splitting.

I lived in Dublin and Pleasanton and it was 40 minutes to San Jose (by the airport) a number of years ago on a motorcycle (before the HOV lane). In the cage it was 1 hour plus depending on if I took a shortcut.

I also lived in Los Gatos and commuted up to Redwood City, which again was 40 minutes or so by bike and over an hour in the cage.

Bottom line, you gotta be on the road by or before 6 am, and home by 3 pm if you expect to have even a mildly clean commute. And for the most part, if you live in the South Bay, there is no reverse commute.

Now we live basically in the Central Fail and I work from home. This area SUCKS, so I'd stay away from most of the East Bay and as was mentioned, work south if the budget constrains you.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #4163
icngacsn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
I work in Santa Clara and live in the mountains behind Los Gatos. I can make it to work in a car most days in 45mins, housing is cheaper in the mountains (but you need to search), and it's GREAT riding right outside my door
Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #4164
honda20
Adventurer

Thanks guys for the tips. We almost put down a deposit on a house in willow glen (san jose) and after sleeping on it we decided that it was insane to spend that much money on rent, deposit etc. on a house with appliances built long long ago. quality of life goes down with that kind of commitment.
We are going to hotel it next week and either get lucky and find a place or rent an apartment on a short term lease and keep hunting.
Hitting the highway fri.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #4165
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Here is my RR for last weekend's Eastern Sierra ride. Super fun stuff.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post22459046
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #4166
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Thanks guys for the tips. We almost put down a deposit on a house in willow glen (san jose) and after sleeping on it we decided that it was insane to spend that much money on rent, deposit etc. on a house with appliances built long long ago. quality of life goes down with that kind of commitment.
We are going to hotel it next week and either get lucky and find a place or rent an apartment on a short term lease and keep hunting.
Hitting the highway fri.
Willow Glen is pretty high roller (one of the areas we'll be looking to buy). Maybe try Campbell or sometimes some stuff comes up in Los Gatos (wish we could afford Los Gatos).
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #4167
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Willow Glen is pretty high roller (one of the areas we'll be looking to buy). Maybe try Campbell or sometimes some stuff comes up in Los Gatos (wish we could afford Los Gatos).
The thing about Willow Glen is the houses are small and the streets narrow. Plus it's crazy popular. Some of the things I do like about it are it's a very neighborhood oriented place and there's all sorts of stuff within walking distance. Sadly, it's still San Jose.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #4168
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
The thing about Willow Glen is the houses are small and the streets narrow. Plus it's crazy popular. Some of the things I do like about it are it's a very neighborhood oriented place and there's all sorts of stuff within walking distance. Sadly, it's still San Jose.
Yup, stop gap until we have to be in a school district. Just about anywhere is better than where we are. Well, except for Stockton...
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #4169
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Were you looking at an Eichler?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #4170
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Where in San Jose? San Jose is huge .... it can take over an hour to go from one end to another in rush hour, worse than many commutes from elsewhere into SJ. I live in Santa Cruz (city) and I'm commuting again ... to 880/Montague and it's tolerable, but from the Summit area of the Santa Cruz Mtns to west San Jose would be an easy commute.

Housing prices here are mostly about school districts (which bear no relation to city boundaries) ... so two areas with identical quality of life if you don't have kids (or have grown kids) can have very different housing costs.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote