ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #4171
fredsters_s
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamtheglobe View Post
Don't have anything written in stone yet, but have been looking around on this link for some good ideas... http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?...m=terrain&a=OD
It's an open invite, just would ask that anyone who wants to join has some decent dirt experience, and if not- is cool with with splitting up at times...
If you start on a thursday eve / fri morn I'd be super down to do the first 4 days with you. Lots of fun trails around here.
fredsters_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #4172
roamtheglobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Sounds good, will keep you guys posted on departure date, etc...
roamtheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #4173
motoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
[Got it bill, this is Nico.

QUOTE=roamtheglobe;22491937]I will be heading down (from SF) to Death Valley, probably via Sonora pass and some exploring in the White mtns. Taking about 10 days with a buddy. I will be on my KTM 950SE, he will be on his KLR. We both want to do as much dirt as possible. Exploring, adventuring, camping... There is a slight chance for Baja, or Nevada.
Let me know if you are interested in joining.
Leaving SF sometime between the 17th and 20th of this month.
Cheers,
Bill
[/QUOTE]
motoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4174
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamtheglobe View Post
Sounds good, will keep you guys posted on departure date, etc...
My buddy and I are seriously interested in a Baja dirt ride for a week if you're up for going that far south. DV would be good too, just not sure what the conditions are now with the flood damage and NP closures likely delaying repairs - not even sure that any of that matters. But I haven't looked into it at all to verify. As far as experience goes, I'll try anything that someone on a 690E should. I'm not the guy holding people up . My buddy's been riding forever - he's on an SE.

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #4175
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

Now we live basically in the Central Fail and I work from home. This area SUCKS, so I'd stay away from most of the East Bay and as was mentioned, work south if the budget constrains you.
Is that the Central Valley? Davis is a decent town, if you don't mind the heat, but its a long ways from big city stuff.

If you have to live in the Bay Area, and you are not hi tech its best to pick a spot and try it out. I recommend living as close to your work as possible, but sometimes the cost of living is just too high and you have to drive some.

There are fancy areas that are quiet with good schools (Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos, Monte Sereno, Palo Alto, etc.) but they are ridiculously expensive (Saragota >$2mil median home price) and the good schools are not perfect (Palo Alto supposedly has a "date rape culture").

There are cheap areas that are not quiet and don't have good schools (East Palo Alto, parts of central San Jose, east San Jose, Alviso (north San Jose), but they can be pretty sketchy, and a kid with native language skills and good upbringing (reading books and such) it can get pretty boring in a standard classroom curriculum school (Montessori would fix that but they are not common).

And there are sleeper areas here and there that are a mixture, like parts of Fremont (Niles District), Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and San Jose. We bought a place in the Japantown district of San Jose a month ago. We like the area, tolerate the urban aspects, but didn't have a good feel for this until living in the area for years (rented in this district, other parts of San Jose, Santa Clara).

Here are two good services for finding a rental:

https://www.padmapper.com/
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/

Rental prices are about as high as buying something so it makes no sense to do this for long if you have a down payment. Buying a decent house takes time (took us over a year to find one we wanted, in our price range, that was not being mobbed by investors etc.) so you should invest some time in it. If you are having trouble competing with investors you can try this:

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2013/0...-foreclosures/

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #4176
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,236
Spot friggin' on right here. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Is that the Central Valley? Davis is a decent town, if you don't mind the heat, but its a long ways from big city stuff.

If you have to live in the Bay Area, and you are not hi tech its best to pick a spot and try it out. I recommend living as close to your work as possible, but sometimes the cost of living is just too high and you have to drive some.

There are fancy areas that are quiet with good schools (Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos, Monte Sereno, Palo Alto, etc.) but they are ridiculously expensive (Saragota >$2mil median home price) and the good schools are not perfect (Palo Alto supposedly has a "date rape culture").

There are cheap areas that are not quiet and don't have good schools (East Palo Alto, parts of central San Jose, east San Jose, Alviso (north San Jose), but they can be pretty sketchy, and a kid with native language skills and good upbringing (reading books and such) it can get pretty boring in a standard classroom curriculum school (Montessori would fix that but they are not common).

And there are sleeper areas here and there that are a mixture, like parts of Fremont (Niles District), Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and San Jose. We bought a place in the Japantown district of San Jose a month ago. We like the area, tolerate the urban aspects, but didn't have a good feel for this until living in the area for years (rented in this district, other parts of San Jose, Santa Clara).

Here are two good services for finding a rental:

https://www.padmapper.com/
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/

Rental prices are about as high as buying something so it makes no sense to do this for long if you have a down payment. Buying a decent house takes time (took us over a year to find one we wanted, in our price range, that was not being mobbed by investors etc.) so you should invest some time in it. If you are having trouble competing with investors you can try this:

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2013/0...-foreclosures/
Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #4177
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,317
In the last 10 years I lived pretty much all over Bay Area. And now I am in Castro Valley. Castro Valley is very affordable, centrally located, near BART, and close to either side of the Bay Area. It's quiet, really quiet - I call it Dead Valley.
Nothing really happens there, but it's short distance away from everything. 25 minutes ride to downtown San Francisco.

Anybody wants to ride Baja for Xmass this year? I have 8 or more days. 525 or 950.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #4178
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
In the last 10 years I lived pretty much all over Bay Area. And now I am in Castro Valley. Castro Valley is very affordable, centrally located, near BART, and close to either side of the Bay Area. It's quiet, really quiet - I call it Dead Valley.
Nothing really happens there, but it's short distance away from everything. 25 minutes ride to downtown San Francisco.

Anybody wants to ride Baja for Xmass this year? I have 8 or more days. 525 or 950.
I'm leaving for Baja day after tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #4179
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Hey All,
I'm trying to get the word out there about our event. It's our clubs 10th Anniversary, but more importantly it will be benefiting the Haylie "Strong" Fund. She's 8yrs old, fighting bone cancer and the daughter of friends that a few of us went to High School with!

ADVRider Thread
Facebook Page
Haylie "Strong" GoFundMe Page
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #4180
timashersf
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Seeking Input from Bay Area people on Lost Coast

Hey Bay Area Adventurers!

I've got a long weekend this weekend and was thinking of finally getting up to the Lost Coast. Should be the perfect time of year for it, I'm thinking.
My questions: Is three days enough to make it worth the trip up there from San Francisco? If so, what are the must-see/do things in this time?
Also, anyone know the condition of the roads? I'm def still a noob.
And anyone want to join? Any input appreciated...Thanks in advance!

timashersf
timashersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #4181
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer: 510
Three days from SF is plenty.

What kind of bike? Can you handle dirt? What about rocks and ruts?

Three choices really:

Usal Road. This is tough and variable due to weather. If it has rained anytime recently, avoid!

King's Ridge and Wilder Ridge from Shelter Cove. Hard pack dirt and easy stuff...takes you up to Mattole Road at Honey Dew.

Just take Mattole Road out to Honey Dew and Petrolia all the way. Just a couple of dirt sections where they are working on the road. Goaty in sections, but no problem for any bike.

Can run it either way (north to south or south to north) -- depends on where want to overnight. Example: roll up 1, stay in Fort Bragg, then that awesome section of 1 to Leggett the next morning, cut over to the Lost Coast, maybe go out Lighthouse Road, stop a lot for pix, then overnight in Fortuna. From there, I'd ride 36 over to 5 and then back to the Bay. 36 should not be missed either.

Have fun...and watch the weather up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timashersf View Post
Hey Bay Area Adventurers!

I've got a long weekend this weekend and was thinking of finally getting up to the Lost Coast. Should be the perfect time of year for it, I'm thinking.
My questions: Is three days enough to make it worth the trip up there from San Francisco? If so, what are the must-see/do things in this time?
Also, anyone know the condition of the roads? I'm def still a noob.
And anyone want to join? Any input appreciated...Thanks in advance!

timashersf
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #4182
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
Three days from SF is plenty.

What kind of bike? Can you handle dirt? What about rocks and ruts?

Three choices really:

Usal Road. This is tough and variable due to weather. If it has rained anytime recently, avoid!

King's Ridge and Wilder Ridge from Shelter Cove. Hard pack dirt and easy stuff...takes you up to Mattole Road at Honey Dew.

Just take Mattole Road out to Honey Dew and Petrolia all the way. Just a couple of dirt sections where they are working on the road. Goaty in sections, but no problem for any bike.

Can run it either way (north to south or south to north) -- depends on where want to overnight. Example: roll up 1, stay in Fort Bragg, then that awesome section of 1 to Leggett the next morning, cut over to the Lost Coast, maybe go out Lighthouse Road, stop a lot for pix, then overnight in Fortuna. From there, I'd ride 36 over to 5 and then back to the Bay. 36 should not be missed either.

Have fun...and watch the weather up there.
Shit might do this myself! This looks life a really nice ride!

Not much of an experienced dory guy so I diddly wouldn't be doing Usal.... yet. But your saying Kings ridge and wilder are easy packed dirt right? I cAn manage that!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #4183
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm leaving for Baja day after tomorrow.
What's you route and schedule. My buddy and I may hook up. We plan on leaving LA next thursday.

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #4184
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
But your saying Kings ridge and wilder are easy packed dirt right? I cAn manage that!
Sorry: King's Peak from Shelter Cove to Wilder Ridge. (I get that mixed up with King's Ridge Road further south...).

Partially paved, graded dirt in places...but no gnarly stuff.

But I haven't been on it since June...so check around and make sure it hasn't been "Closed" or washed out or something lately.

Take a buddy or a SPOT if you go solo. It's a long walk out from in there....

If you haven't done much off-road stuff, I'd suggest sticking to Mattole Road through the Lost Coast first. You could ride out a few miles from Honeydew on Wilder Ridge and see how you like the graded dirt. Or go out the Lighthouse Road. Mattole is narrow, patched asphalt, potholes, and a very different kinda road...what most call a "Goat Road." Be sure to take pix and spend some time along the water; it doesn't last very long!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #4185
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
Sorry: King's Peak from Shelter Cove to Wilder Ridge. (I get that mixed up with King's Ridge Road further south...).

Partially paved, graded dirt in places...but no gnarly stuff.

But I haven't been on it since June...so check around and make sure it hasn't been "Closed" or washed out or something lately.

Take a buddy or a SPOT if you go solo. It's a long walk out from in there....

If you haven't done much off-road stuff, I'd suggest sticking to Mattole Road through the Lost Coast first. You could ride out a few miles from Honeydew on Wilder Ridge and see how you like the graded dirt. Or go out the Lighthouse Road. Mattole is narrow, patched asphalt, potholes, and a very different kinda road...what most call a "Goat Road." Be sure to take pix and spend some time along the water; it doesn't last very long!
Awesome! THanks for the advice! I actually was really look at getting a SPOT. Have you tried those out??
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote