ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #4171
666
Agnostic and Orange
 
666's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,317
In the last 10 years I lived pretty much all over Bay Area. And now I am in Castro Valley. Castro Valley is very affordable, centrally located, near BART, and close to either side of the Bay Area. It's quiet, really quiet - I call it Dead Valley.
Nothing really happens there, but it's short distance away from everything. 25 minutes ride to downtown San Francisco.



Anybody wants to ride Baja for Xmass this year? I have 8 or more days. 525 or 950.
__________________
2006 KTM 950 ADV; 2006 KTM 525EXC; 2013 Tiger 800 street
Moab Ride Report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629423
Dusy Ershim Ride Report http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=99109
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #4172
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
In the last 10 years I lived pretty much all over Bay Area. And now I am in Castro Valley. Castro Valley is very affordable, centrally located, near BART, and close to either side of the Bay Area. It's quiet, really quiet - I call it Dead Valley.
Nothing really happens there, but it's short distance away from everything. 25 minutes ride to downtown San Francisco.



Anybody wants to ride Baja for Xmass this year? I have 8 or more days. 525 or 950.
I'm leaving for Baja day after tomorrow.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #4173
Low594
Adventuring Creep
 
Low594's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,160
Hey All,
I'm trying to get the word out there about our event. It's our clubs 10th Anniversary, but more importantly it will be benefiting the Haylie "Strong" Fund. She's 8yrs old, fighting bone cancer and the daughter of friends that a few of us went to High School with!

ADVRider Thread
Facebook Page
Haylie "Strong" GoFundMe Page
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #4174
timashersf
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay, CA
Oddometer: 4
Seeking Input from Bay Area people on Lost Coast

Hey Bay Area Adventurers!

I've got a long weekend this weekend and was thinking of finally getting up to the Lost Coast. Should be the perfect time of year for it, I'm thinking.
My questions: Is three days enough to make it worth the trip up there from San Francisco? If so, what are the must-see/do things in this time?
Also, anyone know the condition of the roads? I'm def still a noob.
And anyone want to join? Any input appreciated...Thanks in advance!


timashersf
timashersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #4175
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante
 
Trumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Humboldt, California, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Oddometer: 534
Three days from SF is plenty.

What kind of bike? Can you handle dirt? What about rocks and ruts?

Three choices really:

Usal Road. This is tough and variable due to weather. If it has rained anytime recently, avoid!

King's Ridge and Wilder Ridge from Shelter Cove. Hard pack dirt and easy stuff...takes you up to Mattole Road at Honey Dew.

Just take Mattole Road out to Honey Dew and Petrolia all the way. Just a couple of dirt sections where they are working on the road. Goaty in sections, but no problem for any bike.

Can run it either way (north to south or south to north) -- depends on where want to overnight. Example: roll up 1, stay in Fort Bragg, then that awesome section of 1 to Leggett the next morning, cut over to the Lost Coast, maybe go out Lighthouse Road, stop a lot for pix, then overnight in Fortuna. From there, I'd ride 36 over to 5 and then back to the Bay. 36 should not be missed either.

Have fun...and watch the weather up there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by timashersf View Post
Hey Bay Area Adventurers!

I've got a long weekend this weekend and was thinking of finally getting up to the Lost Coast. Should be the perfect time of year for it, I'm thinking.
My questions: Is three days enough to make it worth the trip up there from San Francisco? If so, what are the must-see/do things in this time?
Also, anyone know the condition of the roads? I'm def still a noob.
And anyone want to join? Any input appreciated...Thanks in advance!


timashersf
__________________
Kill all paranoids!
Trumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #4176
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
Three days from SF is plenty.

What kind of bike? Can you handle dirt? What about rocks and ruts?

Three choices really:

Usal Road. This is tough and variable due to weather. If it has rained anytime recently, avoid!

King's Ridge and Wilder Ridge from Shelter Cove. Hard pack dirt and easy stuff...takes you up to Mattole Road at Honey Dew.

Just take Mattole Road out to Honey Dew and Petrolia all the way. Just a couple of dirt sections where they are working on the road. Goaty in sections, but no problem for any bike.

Can run it either way (north to south or south to north) -- depends on where want to overnight. Example: roll up 1, stay in Fort Bragg, then that awesome section of 1 to Leggett the next morning, cut over to the Lost Coast, maybe go out Lighthouse Road, stop a lot for pix, then overnight in Fortuna. From there, I'd ride 36 over to 5 and then back to the Bay. 36 should not be missed either.

Have fun...and watch the weather up there.
Shit might do this myself! This looks life a really nice ride!

Not much of an experienced dory guy so I diddly wouldn't be doing Usal.... yet. But your saying Kings ridge and wilder are easy packed dirt right? I cAn manage that!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #4177
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer
 
r'elise me's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Venice CA
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm leaving for Baja day after tomorrow.
What's you route and schedule. My buddy and I may hook up. We plan on leaving LA next thursday.
__________________
08 KTM 690E / 06 GSA / 14 500EXC / 06 Ducati Paul Smart 1000LE / '10 Duc Hypermotard SP / '14 Duc 1199R (sold) / '82 BMW R100 / 05 Lotus Elise Lotus Cup racer
/ bicycles for every terrain

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #4178
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante
 
Trumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Humboldt, California, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
But your saying Kings ridge and wilder are easy packed dirt right? I cAn manage that!
Sorry: King's Peak from Shelter Cove to Wilder Ridge. (I get that mixed up with King's Ridge Road further south...).

Partially paved, graded dirt in places...but no gnarly stuff.

But I haven't been on it since June...so check around and make sure it hasn't been "Closed" or washed out or something lately.

Take a buddy or a SPOT if you go solo. It's a long walk out from in there....

If you haven't done much off-road stuff, I'd suggest sticking to Mattole Road through the Lost Coast first. You could ride out a few miles from Honeydew on Wilder Ridge and see how you like the graded dirt. Or go out the Lighthouse Road. Mattole is narrow, patched asphalt, potholes, and a very different kinda road...what most call a "Goat Road." Be sure to take pix and spend some time along the water; it doesn't last very long!
__________________
Kill all paranoids!
Trumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #4179
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
Sorry: King's Peak from Shelter Cove to Wilder Ridge. (I get that mixed up with King's Ridge Road further south...).

Partially paved, graded dirt in places...but no gnarly stuff.

But I haven't been on it since June...so check around and make sure it hasn't been "Closed" or washed out or something lately.

Take a buddy or a SPOT if you go solo. It's a long walk out from in there....

If you haven't done much off-road stuff, I'd suggest sticking to Mattole Road through the Lost Coast first. You could ride out a few miles from Honeydew on Wilder Ridge and see how you like the graded dirt. Or go out the Lighthouse Road. Mattole is narrow, patched asphalt, potholes, and a very different kinda road...what most call a "Goat Road." Be sure to take pix and spend some time along the water; it doesn't last very long!
Awesome! THanks for the advice! I actually was really look at getting a SPOT. Have you tried those out??
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #4180
timashersf
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay, CA
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
Three days from SF is plenty.

What kind of bike? Can you handle dirt? What about rocks and ruts?

Three choices really:

Usal Road. This is tough and variable due to weather. If it has rained anytime recently, avoid!

King's Ridge and Wilder Ridge from Shelter Cove. Hard pack dirt and easy stuff...takes you up to Mattole Road at Honey Dew.

Just take Mattole Road out to Honey Dew and Petrolia all the way. Just a couple of dirt sections where they are working on the road. Goaty in sections, but no problem for any bike.

Can run it either way (north to south or south to north) -- depends on where want to overnight. Example: roll up 1, stay in Fort Bragg, then that awesome section of 1 to Leggett the next morning, cut over to the Lost Coast, maybe go out Lighthouse Road, stop a lot for pix, then overnight in Fortuna. From there, I'd ride 36 over to 5 and then back to the Bay. 36 should not be missed either.

Have fun...and watch the weather up there.
Thanks for the info!

I've got an F650GS twin. I can handle dirt and some rocks and ruts. I want the dirt. It's sand and stream crossings that I'm not super keen on. And the combination of rocks, ruts, narrow and steep is tough for me. But practice is the only way to get better at something, right?

I'm definitely intrigued by Usal Rd. though. I feel like that's the real remote part, which is what I'm most attracted to. I'm also interested in camping at night.
timashersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #4181
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels
 
Kampfire's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Napa. California- U.S.A.
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by timashersf View Post
Thanks for the info!

I've got an F650GS twin. I can handle dirt and some rocks and ruts. I want the dirt. It's sand and stream crossings that I'm not super keen on. And the combination of rocks, ruts, narrow and steep is tough for me. But practice is the only way to get better at something, right?

I'm definitely intrigued by Usal Rd. though. I feel like that's the real remote part, which is what I'm most attracted to. I'm also interested in camping at night.

Usal Road should be no problem for your twin. There are a couple of spots where the road goes low thru a saddle of the ridge that might be muddy, but I'd be more concerned with trees down across the roads.
Usal Beach has a great campground (and yes the rangers show up once in a while to make sure you pay) and the local wildlife likes to wander into your camp at times.


I've seen one bear up there, but the Elk are all over so watch the curves.




Lots a sheltered spots at Usal Beach




But a warning on the side trails! The "farmers" don't like you exploring their turf! Stay on the main roads, if you see little signs, odd art work, hedges made out of branches, etc..... Turn Around And Leave.

I turned off at a bicycle seat on a post stuck in the ground, and it turned into a quad trail that lead to a road block of branches. Gallon milk jugs of water laying around is another sign of a "camp".




Other than that, It's a blast to ride up there.

Usal Beach,

__________________
Jeff in Napa

2008 Kawasaki KLR650, keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.
'96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, goes where I want to and need to
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #4182
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by timashersf View Post
I'm definitely intrigued by Usal Rd. though. I feel like that's the real remote part, which is what I'm most attracted to. I'm also interested in camping at night.
This camp site is about 8 miles (if my memory is correct) from highway 1.



The road to the camp looked like this (in Aug 2011).



It's easy. As to how easy... there were a couple of Harley riders at the camp site. It's when you leave the camp and keep heading north that things can get interesting.



That fall was completely preventable. I didn't hit that little wet spot straight on.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #4183
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
This camp site is about 8 miles (if my memory is correct) from highway 1.



The road to the camp looked like this (in Aug 2011).



It's easy. As to how easy... there were a couple of Harley riders at the camp site. It's when you leave the camp and keep heading north that things can get interesting.



That fall was completely preventable. I didn't hit that little wet spot straight on.
Oh might even consider this myself!! Thanks for all the I put kind sir!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #4184
timashersf
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay, CA
Oddometer: 4
Excellent photos! If the roads are still looking like this, then it should be totally manageable. And thanks for all the details about camp spots and avoiding the side rides. Definitely don't want to wander into someone's "garden".
Excited for this!
timashersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #4185
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels
 
Kampfire's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Napa. California- U.S.A.
Oddometer: 146
All the years of traveling the North coast...
September and October are really nice.

This was in June two years ago after some rain about two weeks before.








And the "Art Work"



And one of the many side roads with the marker....




OK, now for the view....




Have a great trip, wish I could go along.... flippin' work schedule!
__________________
Jeff in Napa

2008 Kawasaki KLR650, keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.
'96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, goes where I want to and need to
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015