ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #4216
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
Nice. Hoping to head there next weekend if all goes well.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #4217
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamtheglobe View Post
A short blog about a week on the east side of the sierras (White Mtn and Death Valley)
It's a good follow up to all the talk about road closed signs in CC. There were a ton of those signs in DV...
http://deathvalleydirt.blogspot.com
Cheers
That. Was. AWESOME! Great pictures too!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #4218
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,177
I went through Clear Creek yesterday (New Idria to Los Gatos Creek Road - didn't do Spanish Lake or other county roads off it as I was solo and playing hookey from work). The road up from New Idria is unmaintained and quickly becoming a jeep trail - rock staircases forming, plenty of deep ruts, and whoops too - definitely an intermediate route

Without a mayor, New Idria gives me the creeps - I don't want to find out the meth heads have found it so I didn't stop.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #4219
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I went through Clear Creek yesterday (New Idria to Los Gatos Creek Road - didn't do Spanish Lake or other county roads off it as I was solo and playing hookey from work). The road up from New Idria is unmaintained and quickly becoming a jeep trail - rock staircases forming, plenty of deep ruts, and whoops too - definitely an intermediate route

Without a mayor, New Idria gives me the creeps - I don't want to find out the meth heads have found it so I didn't stop.
San Benito County isn't maintaining the road. SBC is also one of the poorest counties in California.

There is a family that lives next to town that are trouble makers from what I've heard. They don't own the town, but they act like it. They steal from the town and sometimes try to shoo people away. It's best to avoid all contact.

There are two paths up from New Idria to the summit. Lower and Upper. I forget which one is typically less nasty than the other. It's been a a few years since I've been over those roads.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #4220
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
True that there are no *through* dirt roads open to motor vehicles, but the last mile or so of upper China Grade (up to Johansen Road at the Boy Scout camp sign) and White House Canyon/Creek (accessed from Hwy 1) are both dirt and open to the public (at least to the point where they are each posted closed).
I rode up China Grade yesterday and the gate @ Johansen was open. No sign prohibiting entrance so my buddy and I rode down to the intersection with Middle Ridge Rd (the first intersection, not down at Sandy Point). It was fun but I'm not sure it was legal. Saw two mtn bikers ... we kept the speeds down (1st and a little 2nd gear).

Also rode Lodge Road through the park. Paved - but stunning. Zero traffic.

-dman

dman screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 01:39 PM
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #4221
madmax237
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hey, I'm looking for some adventure riding partners in the Bay Are to ride with! I'm interested in doing day trips and overnight camping trips with some off road component to them. Would be great to find some people looking to explore out here!

I'm new to adventure riding around here and in general, but I have done some awesome riding in the Indian Himalaya before I moved here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4173476...7637857491694/

Is this the best place to post this?
madmax237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #4222
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax237 View Post
Hey, I'm looking for some adventure riding partners in the Bay Are to ride with! I'm interested in doing day trips and overnight camping trips with some off road component to them. Would be great to find some people looking to explore out here!

I'm new to adventure riding around here and in general, but I have done some awesome riding in the Indian Himalaya before I moved here:

Welcome fellow inmate!!

Yep! tis the place to be! Most fellas will post rides they do on here. Some are organized others are not. Whenever you feel like going on a ride, just post up and see if you got any takers!

Where you living?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #4223
wakked1
Aspiring Itinerant

Oddometer: 61
Quote:

Nice pics! Welcome! Also check out http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...play.php?f=112, there's a small core of pretty active riders there.

ADV 990, TE610/SM, MULTISTRADA PP
wakked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #4224
madmax237
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakked1 View Post
Nice pics! Welcome! Also check out http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...play.php?f=112, there's a small core of pretty active riders there.
Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I live in San Francisco... Would actually love to get out for a ride this weekend if anyone is interested.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #4225
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I live in San Francisco... Would actually love to get out for a ride this weekend if anyone is interested.
I'm 'tard style currently but was planning on doing a run this weekend. I can't do long freeway stints (or don't really want to). I was thinking out to the Junction and if I was feeling frisky, maybe up and over Hamilton...
Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #4226
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm 'tard style currently but was planning on doing a run this weekend. I can't do long freeway stints (or don't really want to). I was thinking out to the Junction and if I was feeling frisky, maybe up and over Hamilton...
Which day? I could ride over Hamilton for lunch at the Junction (might go early and have some fun at Frank Raines in the morning come to think of it).

Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #4227
Sfcootz
Sugarbush

Oddometer: 3,114
Oooh, my people.

Hi Lucas! (wakked1).

I'm definitely interested in joining some group rides in the Bay Area.

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #4228
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Which day? I could ride over Hamilton for lunch at the Junction (might go early and have some fun at Frank Raines in the morning come to think of it).
Haven't decided. I'd love to hit Frank Raines, but I don't have all the hardware for the huge tank, so I'm limited to I'm sure a max of 150 miles, so I couldn't play long there.

Where are you coming from again? It would be good to ride together again. You still on the 640?

I gotta see what the boss has planned as I need to be on baby duty for a good while so she can get some stuff done.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #4229
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Haven't decided. I'd love to hit Frank Raines, but I don't have all the hardware for the huge tank, so I'm limited to I'm sure a max of 150 miles, so I couldn't play long there.

Where are you coming from again? It would be good to ride together again. You still on the 640?

I gotta see what the boss has planned as I need to be on baby duty for a good while so she can get some stuff done.
Yep, still on the 640, coming from San Jose. I'll ride back over Mt. Ham afterwards too. Maybe I could bring a transfer bottle, or something to improve that range?

I'll check with my boss too - preparations for Thanksgiving will be commencing I'm sure as we're hosting. But for now either day works for me.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #4230
madmax237
Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, still on the 640, coming from San Jose. I'll ride back over Mt. Ham afterwards too. Maybe I could bring a transfer bottle, or something to improve that range?

I'll check with my boss too - preparations for Thanksgiving will be commencing I'm sure as we're hosting. But for now either day works for me.
Sounds like a fun ride, but I'm not sure I feel like an hour freeway ride each way (coming from SF)... I have a G650GS with stock tires - I'm curious would that be able to handle Frank Raines or would i need knobby tires?