ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #4366
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
You mean Panoche? Dude, that road is a racetrack.




It is fun, easy riding ... Cary says it's like a "roller coaster" ...

Would not like to be out there in the mud on a big bike ...

Bay Area content: four hours from Lower Haight ...
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
Let's Ride!: BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #4367
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 195
Thats what I'm talking about SFMCJohn. Who knows this area and when can I tag along?
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #4368
spaceman_spiff
Studly Adventurer
 
spaceman_spiff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 881
I'd be in for some rides too! I'm in santa cruz and ride a ktm 690
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #4369
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo View Post
Thats what I'm talking about SFMCJohn. Who knows this area and when can I tag along?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
I'd be in for some rides too! I'm in santa cruz and ride a ktm 690
Hi chorizo and spaceman_spiff,

Spring is the time to head off to Mercey Hot Springs ... think we have plans to be there again on April 5-6th ...

We're planning on being at Hollister Hills OHV Park this weekend ...

I almost always post up here beforehand about where I'm planning on riding any given weekend ... got to meet longtallsally and Diter that way in Death Valley recently ... guess it works one time out of ten ...

Other upcoming rides are the Mendo Rally and the Oakland Motorcycle Club's Sheetiron Dual-Sport ride (May 17-18th, 2014) ...

BAARC Forever, The more the merrier and
see you around the campfire!
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
Let's Ride!: BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 10:35 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #4370
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo View Post
Hey guys. Im in Santa Cruz and ride a porky but sporty GS 1200 and would like to ride with like minded characters. Ive ridden fire roads on the GS but have logged 100k+ miles trail, commuting and highway rides and still not an expert. Except at enjoying myself.

Im usually flexible and can juggle things with work and wife. Ideal day rides would be 100 miles with a good walk at a point of interest or a 300 sporty ride on less traveled two lane roads. Good eating a plus and tank bag is always full of munchies. Looking for a week long tour this summer too.

Im going out on a limb guys. This took some guts. Don't leave me hangin..

BTW is the trail to Murphy's ok for the GS. Im running 80/20 tires?
Ride a Tiger 800 XC... always up in the santa cruz hills for the few dirt roads around there. Going out on a ride through that area if you or anyone else is interested! I will be on the Tiger and a friend on a gs1200.
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #4371
Calioutdoors247
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Morgan Hill, CA.
Oddometer: 4
Morgan Hill KLR ... Hollister? Mercy Springs? Los Padres?

Hi everyone... I just joined ADV.. picked up my '14 KLR650 on valentines day.. coming off of a drz400s I sold last year... anyone in the area interested in planning a ride to Hollister, Mercy, Los Padres or other areas? Still breaking in my bike ... can only be at 4000rpm for the first 500 miles (60mph max)... 150 on it so far... day ride.. over nighter... etc.. If interested send me a msg... Not sure if I posted this in the right place or not.. but anywho... My name is Josh.. msg me with any ides..
Calioutdoors247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #4372
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Hollister, CA
Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calioutdoors247 View Post
Hi everyone... I just joined ADV.. picked up my '14 KLR650 on valentines day.. coming off of a drz400s I sold last year... anyone in the area interested in planning a ride to Hollister, Mercy, Los Padres or other areas? Still breaking in my bike ... can only be at 4000rpm for the first 500 miles (60mph max)... 150 on it so far... day ride.. over nighter... etc.. If interested send me a msg... Not sure if I posted this in the right place or not.. but anywho... My name is Josh.. msg me with any ides..
I'm interested in some day trips and possible over nights as long as I have nothing already planned.

The last bike I bought new+ had 1000 miles on it in the first week (Yamaha FZ-1).
I did buy it in late April so the weather was better.
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #4373
Bexlee
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Currently Nuu Joyzee.
Oddometer: 9
Possibly moving out to Bay Area or Beale area.

My husband and I both ride on and off road, we are looking at relocating either back to Colorado or to NorCal (where he grew up). Whats the off road riding like? I know there's some pretty awesome paved roads but just wondering how it will compare to Colorado (if anything can!).

We love love love Colorado but hate the comparatively short riding season and we don't ski so the snow although pretty kinda gets in the way of our real passion of riding motorcycles.

Currently we are stationed in NJ which sux bollox when it comes to any kind of riding (unless you like deep sand on straight flat trails in the Pine Barrens which I don't).

Also, just generally whats the scene/breweries/rallies/breakfast meet ups like?

Thanks for your pennies worth and sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread, I don't get on ADVrider forum enough. Cheers!
Bexlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #4374
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlee View Post
My husband and I both ride on and off road, we are looking at relocating either back to Colorado or to NorCal (where he grew up). Whats the off road riding like? I know there's some pretty awesome paved roads but just wondering how it will compare to Colorado (if anything can!).

We love love love Colorado but hate the comparatively short riding season and we don't ski so the snow although pretty kinda gets in the way of our real passion of riding motorcycles.

Currently we are stationed in NJ which sux bollox when it comes to any kind of riding (unless you like deep sand on straight flat trails in the Pine Barrens which I don't).

Also, just generally whats the scene/breweries/rallies/breakfast meet ups like?

Thanks for your pennies worth and sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread, I don't get on ADVrider forum enough. Cheers!
A friend that lived in Colorado says the riding there is very good, but as you say, the season is shorter than here in Cali. I think if you choose teh Bay Area or Beale you can ride 11-12 months of the year, just depends on rain. Will you be stationed at Travis or Beale and do you ride dirt or street or both?
__________________
09 GSA
11 F800gs
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #4375
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Ride a Tiger 800 XC... always up in the santa cruz hills for the few dirt roads around there. Going out on a ride through that area if you or anyone else is interested! I will be on the Tiger and a friend on a gs1200.
Id be down for Sunday. What dirt roads in this area?
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #4376
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post




It is fun, easy riding ... Cary says it's like a "roller coaster" ...

Would not like to be out there in the mud on a big bike ...

Bay Area content: four hours from Lower Haight ...
Im down for this on Sunday too but prefer to go with someone who has been here before. I just can't wait for spring.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #4377
Bexlee
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Currently Nuu Joyzee.
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
A friend that lived in Colorado says the riding there is very good, but as you say, the season is shorter than here in Cali. I think if you choose teh Bay Area or Beale you can ride 11-12 months of the year, just depends on rain. Will you be stationed at Travis or Beale and do you ride dirt or street or both?
Would working as a contractor to Beale or perhaps airports in the bay area. We love both on and off road riding, we arent hugely experienced adventurers so even a small amount of dirt trails will probably keep us happy.
Bexlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #4378
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman
 
HardWorkingDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Walnut Crick, Cal.
Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlee View Post
Would working as a contractor to Beale or perhaps airports in the bay area. We love both on and off road riding, we arent hugely experienced adventurers so even a small amount of dirt trails will probably keep us happy.
Very different places...I have friends and family in Longmont/Ft. Collins area northwest of Denver. I live in the East (East) SF Bay area.

I've tried twice now to compose an even-handed reply, and it always sounds like I'm whining about the negative parts of the Bay area

I'd lurk a bit in the West Regional forum, and the Rockies regional forum and you'll get a bit of an idea of where you'd be happy...

Good riding both places, trade-off congestion/traffic/onerous rules/more jobs for COLD weather/friendlier people/dirt roads going over numerous 12K foot passes.

__________________
"Coffee first..."

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...


"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #4379
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo View Post
Im down for this on Sunday too but prefer to go with someone who has been here before. I just can't wait for spring.

Never been there either but sounds like a blast! Possible over nighter...? Anyone interested in joining? Good map and precautions and I can ride anything... May go slow, but I am confident enough I can handle it. But if someone is willing to come who's been there would be much more fun!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #4380
Bexlee
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Currently Nuu Joyzee.
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Very different places...I have friends and family in Longmont/Ft. Collins area northwest of Denver. I live in the East (East) SF Bay area.

I've tried twice now to compose an even-handed reply, and it always sounds like I'm whining about the negative parts of the Bay area

I'd lurk a bit in the West Regional forum, and the Rockies regional forum and you'll get a bit of an idea of where you'd be happy...

Good riding both places, trade-off congestion/traffic/onerous rules/more jobs for COLD weather/friendlier people/dirt roads going over numerous 12K foot passes.

Yes we love Colorado, just spent 4 years there on the front range and still have property there but the winters are kind of long and we don't ski. We still rode in the winter but it wasn't the same as summer riding of course and the trails keep their snow/ice for months sometimes. We'd be happy in either I'm sure. Just was wondering about the riding/trails etc in Bay Area and Beale area. I'm sure we have been spoilt with Colorado, man I just wish the winters were 3 months instead of 4 or 5 months. We have even thought about whereabouts in Colorado we could move and extend our riding season but the jobs aren't in the warmer parts like the western slopes or even Durango or Pueblo. Plus the season difference isn't really much of a jump either.

Theres always a trade off. I do like the dryness of Colorado. I hear it rains a lot in the Bay Area, with fog and stuff, but then again not so much recently I hear and well lets face it when someone says to a Brit it rains a lot we tend to go "oh yeah? Call that a lot?" Lol!

I guess it will boil down to job offers.
Bexlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015