ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #4381
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calioutdoors247 View Post
Hi everyone... I just joined ADV.. picked up my '14 KLR650 on valentines day.. coming off of a drz400s I sold last year... anyone in the area interested in planning a ride to Hollister, Mercy, Los Padres or other areas? Still breaking in my bike ... can only be at 4000rpm for the first 500 miles (60mph max)... 150 on it so far... day ride.. over nighter... etc.. If interested send me a msg... Not sure if I posted this in the right place or not.. but anywho... My name is Josh.. msg me with any ides..
I'm interested in some day trips and possible over nights as long as I have nothing already planned.

The last bike I bought new+ had 1000 miles on it in the first week (Yamaha FZ-1).
I did buy it in late April so the weather was better.
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #4382
Bexlee
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Possibly moving out to Bay Area or Beale area.

My husband and I both ride on and off road, we are looking at relocating either back to Colorado or to NorCal (where he grew up). Whats the off road riding like? I know there's some pretty awesome paved roads but just wondering how it will compare to Colorado (if anything can!).

We love love love Colorado but hate the comparatively short riding season and we don't ski so the snow although pretty kinda gets in the way of our real passion of riding motorcycles.

Currently we are stationed in NJ which sux bollox when it comes to any kind of riding (unless you like deep sand on straight flat trails in the Pine Barrens which I don't).

Also, just generally whats the scene/breweries/rallies/breakfast meet ups like?

Thanks for your pennies worth and sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread, I don't get on ADVrider forum enough. Cheers!
Bexlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #4383
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlee View Post
My husband and I both ride on and off road, we are looking at relocating either back to Colorado or to NorCal (where he grew up). Whats the off road riding like? I know there's some pretty awesome paved roads but just wondering how it will compare to Colorado (if anything can!).

We love love love Colorado but hate the comparatively short riding season and we don't ski so the snow although pretty kinda gets in the way of our real passion of riding motorcycles.

Currently we are stationed in NJ which sux bollox when it comes to any kind of riding (unless you like deep sand on straight flat trails in the Pine Barrens which I don't).

Also, just generally whats the scene/breweries/rallies/breakfast meet ups like?

Thanks for your pennies worth and sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread, I don't get on ADVrider forum enough. Cheers!
A friend that lived in Colorado says the riding there is very good, but as you say, the season is shorter than here in Cali. I think if you choose teh Bay Area or Beale you can ride 11-12 months of the year, just depends on rain. Will you be stationed at Travis or Beale and do you ride dirt or street or both?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #4384
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Ride a Tiger 800 XC... always up in the santa cruz hills for the few dirt roads around there. Going out on a ride through that area if you or anyone else is interested! I will be on the Tiger and a friend on a gs1200.
Id be down for Sunday. What dirt roads in this area?
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #4385
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

It is fun, easy riding ... Cary says it's like a "roller coaster" ...

Would not like to be out there in the mud on a big bike ...

Bay Area content: four hours from Lower Haight ...
Im down for this on Sunday too but prefer to go with someone who has been here before. I just can't wait for spring.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #4386
Bexlee
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
A friend that lived in Colorado says the riding there is very good, but as you say, the season is shorter than here in Cali. I think if you choose teh Bay Area or Beale you can ride 11-12 months of the year, just depends on rain. Will you be stationed at Travis or Beale and do you ride dirt or street or both?
Would working as a contractor to Beale or perhaps airports in the bay area. We love both on and off road riding, we arent hugely experienced adventurers so even a small amount of dirt trails will probably keep us happy.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #4387
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlee View Post
Would working as a contractor to Beale or perhaps airports in the bay area. We love both on and off road riding, we arent hugely experienced adventurers so even a small amount of dirt trails will probably keep us happy.
Very different places...I have friends and family in Longmont/Ft. Collins area northwest of Denver. I live in the East (East) SF Bay area.

I've tried twice now to compose an even-handed reply, and it always sounds like I'm whining about the negative parts of the Bay area

I'd lurk a bit in the West Regional forum, and the Rockies regional forum and you'll get a bit of an idea of where you'd be happy...

Good riding both places, trade-off congestion/traffic/onerous rules/more jobs for COLD weather/friendlier people/dirt roads going over numerous 12K foot passes.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #4388
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo View Post
Im down for this on Sunday too but prefer to go with someone who has been here before. I just can't wait for spring.

Never been there either but sounds like a blast! Possible over nighter...? Anyone interested in joining? Good map and precautions and I can ride anything... May go slow, but I am confident enough I can handle it. But if someone is willing to come who's been there would be much more fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #4389
Bexlee
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Very different places...I have friends and family in Longmont/Ft. Collins area northwest of Denver. I live in the East (East) SF Bay area.

I've tried twice now to compose an even-handed reply, and it always sounds like I'm whining about the negative parts of the Bay area

I'd lurk a bit in the West Regional forum, and the Rockies regional forum and you'll get a bit of an idea of where you'd be happy...

Good riding both places, trade-off congestion/traffic/onerous rules/more jobs for COLD weather/friendlier people/dirt roads going over numerous 12K foot passes.

Yes we love Colorado, just spent 4 years there on the front range and still have property there but the winters are kind of long and we don't ski. We still rode in the winter but it wasn't the same as summer riding of course and the trails keep their snow/ice for months sometimes. We'd be happy in either I'm sure. Just was wondering about the riding/trails etc in Bay Area and Beale area. I'm sure we have been spoilt with Colorado, man I just wish the winters were 3 months instead of 4 or 5 months. We have even thought about whereabouts in Colorado we could move and extend our riding season but the jobs aren't in the warmer parts like the western slopes or even Durango or Pueblo. Plus the season difference isn't really much of a jump either.

Theres always a trade off. I do like the dryness of Colorado. I hear it rains a lot in the Bay Area, with fog and stuff, but then again not so much recently I hear and well lets face it when someone says to a Brit it rains a lot we tend to go "oh yeah? Call that a lot?" Lol!

I guess it will boil down to job offers.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #4390
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
Bexlee - I think you will find that in the Bay Area, the amount of rainfall is almost literally on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis. Proximity to the ocean drives the amount of fog and rainfall. We live in Oakland about 4 miles from the Bay, but 15 miles from the ocean. It's warm and dry in the summer, and cool and damp in the winter. It's nearly always sunny -- we almost never get fog.

If you go inland further, over the coastal range, you get much more "continental" weather patterns - much hotter in the summer, much colder in the winter.

Then again, I have a friend that lives in the Sunset District in SF -- about 8 blocks from the ocean -- and he complains bitterly whenever the temperature is above 62, and he can see the sun.

There will be some neighborhood which will suit your weather desires.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #4391
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 625
Hey Bex - welcome to ADVRider! Nice to see another woman around here!

Beale is north of Sacramento - so you have your pick of going into the Sierras vs heading over toward the area north of the Bay Area

Near Oroville there is "Clay Pit SVRA" http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25572

And, way west in the opposite direction - there's "Cow Mountain" - http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

The BLM and NFS are your friends -- there are loads of dirt roads on BLM land and if you have a plated dirt/dual-sport with knobbies, you shouldn't have any trouble finding awesome places to get dirty.

You might have some fun here: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #4392
Bexlee
n00b

Oh lovely that sounds brilliant! Thanks everyone and special Hi to you Jenn. Not many of us indeed. I have a community page in Facebook if you are ever on there. It's called GS Girls Riding. Stop by and say hi!
We are super-excited about the thought of moving either to NorCal or back to Colorado. Will digest all your fab info offered up and hope to have an update in the coming weeks/months. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #4393
1brunoj
bruno

Oddometer: 20
Planning/thinking about going to Stonyford or Middle Creek pending conditions and if anyone else game. Thinking about doing simple stonyford – Middle Creek ride or vica versa.

How about it what type conditions this week sat –sun 22 – 23? u game?

I’m a intermediate rider maybe
1brunoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #4394
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brunoj View Post
Planning/thinking about going to Stonyford or Middle Creek pending conditions and if anyone else game. Thinking about doing simple stonyford – Middle Creek ride or vica versa.

How about it what type conditions this week sat –sun 22 – 23? u game?

I’m a intermediate rider maybe

Can't this weekend but maybe next? What kinda road is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #4395
1brunoj
bruno

Oddometer: 20
fire roads 2 wheel drive unless u want more or get off track. Using GPS route 4 1st time well see how it goes
1brunoj is offline   Reply With Quote