ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #4471
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,514
I'm up in Livermore, so about 40 mins give or take.

I'll be running a set of 3/4 worn TKCs, so you'll be fine with those tires.

So are we saying 9:00 at https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

I'm figuring we just meet there, hit 101 to Hollister and then down 25 to either Coalinga road for the "traditional" entrance, or take Panoche road over to New Idria and on through there.

I absolutely love both Coalinga and the road to New Idria, so I don't really care. Going over to New Idria might be kinda cool for anyone that's not done it before. The climb out of there can get a bit technical too with washouts, but nothing too bad. The "town" is ultra sketch, so I don't usually hang out there, but I've never had a problem and it is really cool to see- kind of a ghost town feel to it.

OK, now I have to insert the typical health and safety crap. This is in the middle of nowhere. Read, no cell phone reception, no gas, no tow, no nothing. Be prepared for the worst and anticipate a minimum of 150 miles range necessary. Bring tools and trail spares and plenty of water- and I'd suggest a few snacks as well as clothes to anticipate decent swings in temp.

It's only a day's hike to some form of civilization (probably only a few hours if you head the right direction) and I'll load some tracks on the little GPS, but it's pretty easy to get lost in there if you don't have your bearings, so plan accordingly.

I need a nice little getaway like this, so it should be fun!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #4472
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm up in Livermore, so about 40 mins give or take.

I'll be running a set of 3/4 worn TKCs, so you'll be fine with those tires.

So are we saying 9:00 at https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

I'm figuring we just meet there, hit 101 to Hollister and then down 25 to either Coalinga road for the "traditional" entrance, or take Panoche road over to New Idria and on through there.

I absolutely love both Coalinga and the road to New Idria, so I don't really care. Going over to New Idria might be kinda cool for anyone that's not done it before. The climb out of there can get a bit technical too with washouts, but nothing too bad. The "town" is ultra sketch, so I don't usually hang out there, but I've never had a problem and it is really cool to see- kind of a ghost town feel to it.

OK, now I have to insert the typical health and safety crap. This is in the middle of nowhere. Read, no cell phone reception, no gas, no tow, no nothing. Be prepared for the worst and anticipate a minimum of 150 miles range necessary. Bring tools and trail spares and plenty of water- and I'd suggest a few snacks as well as clothes to anticipate decent swings in temp.

It's only a day's hike to some form of civilization (probably only a few hours if you head the right direction) and I'll load some tracks on the little GPS, but it's pretty easy to get lost in there if you don't have your bearings, so plan accordingly.

I need a nice little getaway like this, so it should be fun!
Sounds good, thanks. We're south of those coordinates, so would probably meet at Flapjacks, assuming that's still on the menu.

I'll toss a filled red Rotax on the Katoom, bring first aid, tow strap, frisbee, etc.

If anything, I'd prefer to get a slightly earlier start, but will respect...the wife is interested, and that's the prime objective.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #4473
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Sounds good, thanks. We're south of those coordinates, so would probably meet at Flapjacks, assuming that's still on the menu.

I'll toss a filled red Rotax on the Katoom, bring first aid, tow strap, frisbee, etc.

If anything, I'd prefer to get a slightly earlier start, but will respect...the wife is interested, and that's the prime objective.
Wanna say 8?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #4474
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Wanna say 8?
8 at the coordinates listed above, and 9 at Flapjack's?

That works for us, but again, mob rule.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #4475
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Where is Flapjacks again?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #4476
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Flapjacks
6881 Airline Hwy
Tres Pinos, CA 95075
Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #4477
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Flapjacks
6881 Airline Hwy
Tres Pinos, CA 95075
Just past the gas pumps
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #4478
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Oddometer: 50
Clear Creek.

Have fun everyone. That should be a great ride. Hope to join you on future ride.
Mike C.
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #4479
leo_jb
-

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
8 at the coordinates listed above, and 9 at Flapjack's?

That works for us, but again, mob rule.

Do we have confirmation of these locations/times?
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #4480
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,260
That's a nice easy start Sally; I'm cool with it:

0800 here:

https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

If you're fueling up get there earlier as there's about an hour transit time, putting us here at 0900:

Quote:
Flapjacks
6881 Airline Hwy
Tres Pinos, CA 95075
0900 is a little late for breakfast. But let me know if we're stopping to eat (Flapjack's is good food), so I can adjust our itinerary:

its a bit over an hour from Flapjack's to Clear Creek Rd. (from the west or off Coalinga Rd.), so assuming no brunch we are there a little after 10am, headed onto some of San Benito Co's best roads

Depending on conditions and such its about 30mins over the hills to Mexican Lake Rd, then maybe 20mins to Wild Ass Rd (aka Sawmill Creek), depending on conditions (and mudholes) this "road" might only take 10mins, to get to a paved road that used to be called KCAC Rd. (the name of the asbsetos mine we'll be traveling past :).

From there it gets a little hazy, as Google doesn't have all the roads in their database. Not 5mins up to the turnoff for the road that goes past KCAC Mine and back to Mexican Lake Rd. And supposedly we can ride that out past Spanish Lake to a gate at the Fresno Co line (I've done that long ago).

It could be about noon at this point - bring your lunch and we can eat by the lake (don't get your hopes up).

Then maybe an hour down to New Idria's ghost town. If we're good boys it'll be about an hour to the Panoche Inn, putting us there after 2pm (depending on lunch). Good watering hole (if its still open - its for sale). From there its about an hour through the canyon to H25 and up to Tres Pinos, which is... you guessed it, about an hour from our start point in San Jose.

So figure 2hrs back to the beginning; if we get to the Panoche Inn around 2:30 or 3pm, have a soda, we'll be back in San Jose around 5 or 5:30pm.

If that's too early then there are other opportunities in Panoche Valley (Tumey Hills off Panoche Rd and Panoche Hills off Little Panoche Rd). But I'm betting they are best left for another day (although they close April 15th for the fire season).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #4481
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Puts me home right at dinner time and I gotta travel next week for work, so this is perfect. I think we'll have to skip breakfast at Flapjacks (for those of us leaving SJ at 0800), but we'll do that another day.

See you guys there!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #4482
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Sounds like a plan. We'll meet you all at Flapjack's at 9, ready to roll.

I'm off to change the katoom wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
That's a nice easy start Sally; I'm cool with it:

0800 here:

https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

If you're fueling up get there earlier as there's about an hour transit time, putting us here at 0900:

0900 is a little late for breakfast. But let me know if we're stopping to eat (Flapjack's is good food), so I can adjust our itinerary:

its a bit over an hour from Flapjack's to Clear Creek Rd. (from the west or off Coalinga Rd.), so assuming no brunch we are there a little after 10am, headed onto some of San Benito Co's best roads

Depending on conditions and such its about 30mins over the hills to Mexican Lake Rd, then maybe 20mins to Wild Ass Rd (aka Sawmill Creek), depending on conditions (and mudholes) this "road" might only take 10mins, to get to a paved road that used to be called KCAC Rd. (the name of the asbsetos mine we'll be traveling past :).

From there it gets a little hazy, as Google doesn't have all the roads in their database. Not 5mins up to the turnoff for the road that goes past KCAC Mine and back to Mexican Lake Rd. And supposedly we can ride that out past Spanish Lake to a gate at the Fresno Co line (I've done that long ago).

It could be about noon at this point - bring your lunch and we can eat by the lake (don't get your hopes up).

Then maybe an hour down to New Idria's ghost town. If we're good boys it'll be about an hour to the Panoche Inn, putting us there after 2pm (depending on lunch). Good watering hole (if its still open - its for sale). From there its about an hour through the canyon to H25 and up to Tres Pinos, which is... you guessed it, about an hour from our start point in San Jose.

So figure 2hrs back to the beginning; if we get to the Panoche Inn around 2:30 or 3pm, have a soda, we'll be back in San Jose around 5 or 5:30pm.

If that's too early then there are other opportunities in Panoche Valley (Tumey Hills off Panoche Rd and Panoche Hills off Little Panoche Rd). But I'm betting they are best left for another day (although they close April 15th for the fire season).
Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #4483
stu_tfl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I will meet up at Flapjacks also..seems like XRL is not geared to well for high speed slabs

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. We'll meet you all at Flapjack's at 9, ready to roll.

I'm off to change the katoom wheels

Jasper Carrott - 1975
stu_tfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #4484
TSJA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Sunday

I'm in too. I'm curious to see if these locked gates are installed?

See ya at the gas station at 8.
TSJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #4485
1brunoj
bruno

Oddometer: 50
B squared syndrone: bike (gas) ng, butt ng for ride. A little far and not a speed demon on pavement or anything else.

Good description of ride ergo b squared
1brunoj is offline   Reply With Quote