ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #4471
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Let me know what time you'll be in my neighborhood Sunday morning; how about this 76 station on 1st St at 880:

https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Other locals can join us there too if you want. When we know what time you'll be there these fellas will know what time we'll be in Tres Pinos - transit time is about 1hr - I presume breakfast at Flapjacks would be agreeable.

From there I recommend down to Los Gatos Creek Rd, and in the west entrance on Clear Creek Rd, departing from the east entrance at New Idria for a scenic tour of Panoche Valley and a stop at the Panoche Inn for a sip.

If we get done early enough with San Benito Co Roads in the area we can check out Panoche and Tumey Hills, which don't close until mid-April.
I'll give you a call.

What range do I need to have? Should I leave the Exxon Valdez tank on? Think I should put the 'tard wheels back on? I absolutely hate melting knobs on pavement?

I ask b/c it's a decent clip from SJ down to CC. I might just deal with the busted windshield and bent rim on the pig and roll on it based on distance.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #4472
leo_jb
-
 
leo_jb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 117
Hey guys,

Sorry for dropping in at the last minute, but I just came across the post. I happen to be in Morgan Hill this weekend for my son's soccer tournament, but I'm just using it as an excuse to do some riding down there. Be interested in meeting up with your guys at Flapjacks Sunday morning if I can get away. Got a time? Staying for breakfast or no?
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #4473
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Hollister, CA
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry for dropping in at the last minute, but I just came across the post. I happen to be in Morgan Hill this weekend for my son's soccer tournament, but I'm just using it as an excuse to do some riding down there. Be interested in meeting up with your guys at Flapjacks Sunday morning if I can get away. Got a time? Staying for breakfast or no?
You have to eat there if you stop! The Italian Pesto Omelet is my favorite.
I won't be making this trip but plan for the next one
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #4474
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,208
OK, I'm pretty certain at this point I'll be rolling the pig- just too much pavement on the 450. The pig definitely has some Baja wear on it that I've not had time to resolve since moving to the new house, so go easy on me.

That said, let's get serious about a meeting spot and time.

Popsicle boy suggested a spot above in San Joser that seems like a winner to me. I dunno, say 9am sharp there?

__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #4475
stu_tfl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stu_tfl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: San Jose, CA.
Oddometer: 225
I plan on being there.




Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
OK, I'm pretty certain at this point I'll be rolling the pig- just too much pavement on the 450. The pig definitely has some Baja wear on it that I've not had time to resolve since moving to the new house, so go easy on me.

That said, let's get serious about a meeting spot and time.

Popsicle boy suggested a spot above in San Joser that seems like a winner to me. I dunno, say 9am sharp there?

__________________
"Time for Bed, said Zebadee, Piss off, said Dylan and Dougal did so - all over Florence".

Jasper Carrott - 1975
stu_tfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #4476
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 978
What are the tire requirements? I would ride the 990 (big pig of a different color) with Scorpions, and she would be on a newer F650GS with Battlewings. I imagine she would air down, at the least....

We're in SJ as well...95124 zip...north of Hamilton/Camden & just east of Campbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Let me know what time you'll be in my neighborhood Sunday morning; how about this 76 station on 1st St at 880:

https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Other locals can join us there too if you want. When we know what time you'll be there these fellas will know what time we'll be in Tres Pinos - transit time is about 1hr - I presume breakfast at Flapjacks would be agreeable.

From there I recommend down to Los Gatos Creek Rd, and in the west entrance on Clear Creek Rd, departing from the east entrance at New Idria for a scenic tour of Panoche Valley and a stop at the Panoche Inn for a sip.

If we get done early enough with San Benito Co Roads in the area we can check out Panoche and Tumey Hills, which don't close until mid-April.
__________________
Ride Travel Explore Live
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #4477
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,208
I'm up in Livermore, so about 40 mins give or take.

I'll be running a set of 3/4 worn TKCs, so you'll be fine with those tires.

So are we saying 9:00 at https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en



I'm figuring we just meet there, hit 101 to Hollister and then down 25 to either Coalinga road for the "traditional" entrance, or take Panoche road over to New Idria and on through there.

I absolutely love both Coalinga and the road to New Idria, so I don't really care. Going over to New Idria might be kinda cool for anyone that's not done it before. The climb out of there can get a bit technical too with washouts, but nothing too bad. The "town" is ultra sketch, so I don't usually hang out there, but I've never had a problem and it is really cool to see- kind of a ghost town feel to it.

OK, now I have to insert the typical health and safety crap. This is in the middle of nowhere. Read, no cell phone reception, no gas, no tow, no nothing. Be prepared for the worst and anticipate a minimum of 150 miles range necessary. Bring tools and trail spares and plenty of water- and I'd suggest a few snacks as well as clothes to anticipate decent swings in temp.

It's only a day's hike to some form of civilization (probably only a few hours if you head the right direction) and I'll load some tracks on the little GPS, but it's pretty easy to get lost in there if you don't have your bearings, so plan accordingly.

I need a nice little getaway like this, so it should be fun!
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #4478
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm up in Livermore, so about 40 mins give or take.

I'll be running a set of 3/4 worn TKCs, so you'll be fine with those tires.

So are we saying 9:00 at https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en



I'm figuring we just meet there, hit 101 to Hollister and then down 25 to either Coalinga road for the "traditional" entrance, or take Panoche road over to New Idria and on through there.

I absolutely love both Coalinga and the road to New Idria, so I don't really care. Going over to New Idria might be kinda cool for anyone that's not done it before. The climb out of there can get a bit technical too with washouts, but nothing too bad. The "town" is ultra sketch, so I don't usually hang out there, but I've never had a problem and it is really cool to see- kind of a ghost town feel to it.

OK, now I have to insert the typical health and safety crap. This is in the middle of nowhere. Read, no cell phone reception, no gas, no tow, no nothing. Be prepared for the worst and anticipate a minimum of 150 miles range necessary. Bring tools and trail spares and plenty of water- and I'd suggest a few snacks as well as clothes to anticipate decent swings in temp.

It's only a day's hike to some form of civilization (probably only a few hours if you head the right direction) and I'll load some tracks on the little GPS, but it's pretty easy to get lost in there if you don't have your bearings, so plan accordingly.

I need a nice little getaway like this, so it should be fun!
Sounds good, thanks. We're south of those coordinates, so would probably meet at Flapjacks, assuming that's still on the menu.

I'll toss a filled red Rotax on the Katoom, bring first aid, tow strap, frisbee, etc.

If anything, I'd prefer to get a slightly earlier start, but will respect...the wife is interested, and that's the prime objective.
__________________
Ride Travel Explore Live
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #4479
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Sounds good, thanks. We're south of those coordinates, so would probably meet at Flapjacks, assuming that's still on the menu.

I'll toss a filled red Rotax on the Katoom, bring first aid, tow strap, frisbee, etc.

If anything, I'd prefer to get a slightly earlier start, but will respect...the wife is interested, and that's the prime objective.
Wanna say 8?
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #4480
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Wanna say 8?
8 at the coordinates listed above, and 9 at Flapjack's?

That works for us, but again, mob rule.
__________________
Ride Travel Explore Live
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #4481
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,208
Where is Flapjacks again?
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #4482
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 978
Flapjacks
6881 Airline Hwy
Tres Pinos, CA 95075
__________________
Ride Travel Explore Live
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #4483
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Hollister, CA
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Flapjacks
6881 Airline Hwy
Tres Pinos, CA 95075
Just past the gas pumps
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #4484
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere
 
Mikengrace's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Hollister, California
Oddometer: 50
Clear Creek.

Have fun everyone. That should be a great ride. Hope to join you on future ride.
Mike C.
__________________
Mike Cunningham.
2013 Kawasaki KLR 650, 2014 Kawasaki KLX 250.
Hollister, California area.
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #4485
leo_jb
-
 
leo_jb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
8 at the coordinates listed above, and 9 at Flapjack's?

That works for us, but again, mob rule.

Do we have confirmation of these locations/times?
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014