ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #4486
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
That's a nice easy start Sally; I'm cool with it:

0800 here:

https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

If you're fueling up get there earlier as there's about an hour transit time, putting us here at 0900:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Flapjacks
6881 Airline Hwy
Tres Pinos, CA 95075
0900 is a little late for breakfast. But let me know if we're stopping to eat (Flapjack's is good food), so I can adjust our itinerary:

its a bit over an hour from Flapjack's to Clear Creek Rd. (from the west or off Coalinga Rd.), so assuming no brunch we are there a little after 10am, headed onto some of San Benito Co's best roads

Depending on conditions and such its about 30mins over the hills to Mexican Lake Rd, then maybe 20mins to Wild Ass Rd (aka Sawmill Creek), depending on conditions (and mudholes) this "road" might only take 10mins, to get to a paved road that used to be called KCAC Rd. (the name of the asbsetos mine we'll be traveling past :).

From there it gets a little hazy, as Google doesn't have all the roads in their database. Not 5mins up to the turnoff for the road that goes past KCAC Mine and back to Mexican Lake Rd. And supposedly we can ride that out past Spanish Lake to a gate at the Fresno Co line (I've done that long ago).

It could be about noon at this point - bring your lunch and we can eat by the lake (don't get your hopes up).

Then maybe an hour down to New Idria's ghost town. If we're good boys it'll be about an hour to the Panoche Inn, putting us there after 2pm (depending on lunch). Good watering hole (if its still open - its for sale). From there its about an hour through the canyon to H25 and up to Tres Pinos, which is... you guessed it, about an hour from our start point in San Jose.

So figure 2hrs back to the beginning; if we get to the Panoche Inn around 2:30 or 3pm, have a soda, we'll be back in San Jose around 5 or 5:30pm.

If that's too early then there are other opportunities in Panoche Valley (Tumey Hills off Panoche Rd and Panoche Hills off Little Panoche Rd). But I'm betting they are best left for another day (although they close April 15th for the fire season).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #4487
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,153

Puts me home right at dinner time and I gotta travel next week for work, so this is perfect. I think we'll have to skip breakfast at Flapjacks (for those of us leaving SJ at 0800), but we'll do that another day.

See you guys there!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #4488
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 974
Sounds like a plan. We'll meet you all at Flapjack's at 9, ready to roll.

I'm off to change the katoom wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
That's a nice easy start Sally; I'm cool with it:

0800 here:

https://plus.google.com/116520255900...ut?gl=us&hl=en

If you're fueling up get there earlier as there's about an hour transit time, putting us here at 0900:

0900 is a little late for breakfast. But let me know if we're stopping to eat (Flapjack's is good food), so I can adjust our itinerary:

its a bit over an hour from Flapjack's to Clear Creek Rd. (from the west or off Coalinga Rd.), so assuming no brunch we are there a little after 10am, headed onto some of San Benito Co's best roads

Depending on conditions and such its about 30mins over the hills to Mexican Lake Rd, then maybe 20mins to Wild Ass Rd (aka Sawmill Creek), depending on conditions (and mudholes) this "road" might only take 10mins, to get to a paved road that used to be called KCAC Rd. (the name of the asbsetos mine we'll be traveling past :).

From there it gets a little hazy, as Google doesn't have all the roads in their database. Not 5mins up to the turnoff for the road that goes past KCAC Mine and back to Mexican Lake Rd. And supposedly we can ride that out past Spanish Lake to a gate at the Fresno Co line (I've done that long ago).

It could be about noon at this point - bring your lunch and we can eat by the lake (don't get your hopes up).

Then maybe an hour down to New Idria's ghost town. If we're good boys it'll be about an hour to the Panoche Inn, putting us there after 2pm (depending on lunch). Good watering hole (if its still open - its for sale). From there its about an hour through the canyon to H25 and up to Tres Pinos, which is... you guessed it, about an hour from our start point in San Jose.

So figure 2hrs back to the beginning; if we get to the Panoche Inn around 2:30 or 3pm, have a soda, we'll be back in San Jose around 5 or 5:30pm.

If that's too early then there are other opportunities in Panoche Valley (Tumey Hills off Panoche Rd and Panoche Hills off Little Panoche Rd). But I'm betting they are best left for another day (although they close April 15th for the fire season).
Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #4489
stu_tfl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I will meet up at Flapjacks also..seems like XRL is not geared to well for high speed slabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Sounds like a plan. We'll meet you all at Flapjack's at 9, ready to roll.

I'm off to change the katoom wheels

Jasper Carrott - 1975
stu_tfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #4490
TSJA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Sunday

I'm in too. I'm curious to see if these locked gates are installed?

See ya at the gas station at 8.
TSJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #4491
1brunoj
bruno

Oddometer: 24
B squared syndrone: bike (gas) ng, butt ng for ride. A little far and not a speed demon on pavement or anything else.

Good description of ride ergo b squared
1brunoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #4492
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
My friend Brian and I snuck down to CC back in April 2010 a week after
San Benito County voted to reopen up the county roads again.

The resolution had been passed but it wasn't officially official yet. The
roads were in really bad shape. Lots of slides and washouts. It was
beautiful.

Saw Mill Creek road was knarly. Natural year round springs make some
big, big mud pits. It's been dry this year but I'll bet you guys still hit
mud on that stretch.

The best thing of that trip was when we were riding up Mexican Lake rd
towards Rt 1 and had a huge golden eagle flap out of a tree alongside the
road and fly right in front of us.

We stealth camped off of Mexican lake rd for two nights, never saw another
soul down there the whole time.

scottmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #4493
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Im putting on a new Tourance rear and have about a half life Tourance on the front of my porky GS. Is this gonna work? Consider myself an expert at having fun but intermediate rider on a big bike. I don't want to be that guy.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #4494
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo View Post
Im putting on a new Tourance rear and have about a half life Tourance on the front of my porky GS. Is this gonna work? Consider myself an expert at having fun but intermediate rider on a big bike. I don't want to be that guy.
If Battlewings on my wife's F650GS will work, then the Tourances will.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #4495
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
FWIW, skill level for tomorrow's ride: intermediate at best.

These are fire roads for the most part so don't worry. There are sections of the route above New Idria that are torn up/rutted out, but they are short and really you can navigate an easy route I'm sure.

Same goes for Sawmill/Wild Ass Rd - its a fire road with some very short mud pits from spring crossings. If it was a wet winter I'd be worried about folks crossing Los Gatos Creek off of Coalinga Rd, but I bet it'll be dry or low.

Although some folks may ride faster than others on the dirt or tarmac, there are plenty of opportunities for the speedy gonzales' to stop and hang out for the group to reform at key turnoffs. And even if not, it'd be hard to get lost.

Speaking of which, anyone want a KML file that has most of the route? PM me.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #4496
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 146
http://vimeo.com/24422306

Dual Sport Adventure Clinic and Ride from El Cabrito on Vimeo.

This video I did a few years ago of the area if you want to see some of the roads.

Cabrito screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 03:31 PM
Cabrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #4497
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post

Same goes for Sawmill/Wild Ass Rd - its a fire road with some very short mud pits from spring crossings. If it was a wet winter I'd be worried about folks crossing Los Gatos Creek off of Coalinga Rd, but I bet it'll be dry or low.
We were there last weekend. You needn't fear the creek(s). Not completely dry, but close:

Turning off of Old Coalinga rd

Same creek, further west at the entrance to the Salinas Ramblers Motorcycle Club

One of the many stream crossing on the Clear Creek rd

That last one has about the same water as the one right off of the main road. Good luck to you all, hope you have a great ride and post up all sorts of interesting info when you return.

MV
Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #4498
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

Puts me home right at dinner time and I gotta travel next week for work, so this is perfect. I think we'll have to skip breakfast at Flapjacks (for those of us leaving SJ at 0800), but we'll do that another day.

See you guys there!
PM sent
woodsxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #4499
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,153
Hey Guys, I'm weak sauce. Some work stuff came up and I have to travel next week, so I have to bail on tomorrow. I'm really bummed, but I just can't lose the entire day as I have some pretty critical meetings next week in SoCal and some other stuff that's going to require a couple hours work tomorrow.

So have fun and don't be stupid.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #4500
stu_tfl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Last time I was down there...2010 on a GSA.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=643

Jasper Carrott - 1975
stu_tfl is offline   Reply With Quote